Differnet way to remove emblems from engine covers

• DoctoRot
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • Oh, the usual... I bowl, I drive around...
More
14 Jun 2011 18:17 - 14 Jun 2011 18:18 #457278 by DoctoRot
I wanted to spiff up my engine covers since the stator has some road rash and the paint is coming off. I decided to remove the emblems them because I never was a huge fan of them anyway, and it already says Kawasaki 3 other places.

Im sure there Are other ways of doing this that are easier/better, but I wanted to use the tools I already had.

I started off by grinding off the emblems so that the top of the points and stator cover were flush.

Then I dragged my potters wheel into the garage and centered the stator cover on the wheel.

Holding the cover firmly in place i pressed a water based clay around the perimeter of the case. If you use enough clay you will be surprised how firmly it holds this in place.

Next I put a 80 grit flap-wheel on my angle grinder, and set the wheel speed to high.

The outside edge is the most important factor in determining the profile so i started there. It was uneven, so holding the grinder to the edge I locked my arms and kept the grinder absolutely still. I focused on keeping the tool as still as possible letting the tool do the work. If you do this right you will get a nice even edge. Once the edge was established I started very very slowly moving the grinder towards the center of the wheel. This is done in a similar way to how you would move a cutting bit on a lathe. Over the next 15 minutes I slowly worked outside to in and back out, removing material until a even profile was present. I then cleaned the bevel up a bit as well. The out come is something that has a nearly perfect profile and almost looks machined.

I repeated this process on my points cover, and started polishing the top.

From here you can either paint or polish. I will probably do a combination of both.

Hope someone finds this helpful
Last edit: 14 Jun 2011 18:18 by DoctoRot.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Jun 2011 22:20 #457311 by Kidkawie
Definately original! Haha!

1975 Z1 900
1994 KX250 Supermoto
2004 KX125

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
15 Jun 2011 00:43 #457347 by wireman
be carefull grinding on stator cover,theyre a little thinner in the center than around the sides B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
15 Jun 2011 10:57 #457400 by 531blackbanshee
Replied by 531blackbanshee on topic Differnet way to remove emblems from engine covers
one tool holder away from a lathe :woohoo: !

you could polish up the edges of some mags like that also :lol: .

leon

skiatook,oklahoma 1980 z1r,1978 kz 1000 z1r x 3,
1976 kz 900 x 3
i make what i can,and save the rest!

billybiltit.blogspot.com/

www.kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/325862-triple-tree-custom-work

kzrider.com/forum/5-chassis/294594-frame-bracing?limitstart=0