The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?

More
09 Apr 2011 09:44 - 09 Apr 2011 09:46 #443588 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
Spark Plug wrench in rim :blink:, hmmmmmmmm..... WTF was it there in the first place.... I mean what, using a spark plug wrench to insert the tube.....

Note lips demeanor/expression... Lips all squished tightly, butt is puckering would be my guess. :ohmy:

NOTE to Thyself When @ Craig's next year.... Don't let him inflate my tires.... :whistle: :laugh:

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 09 Apr 2011 09:46 by Old Man Rock.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Apr 2011 04:20 #444224 by Zedone
Wireman I just sprayed my monitor with a mouthfull of cokeacola :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: that's freaking hilarious!

1977 KZ1000A1
1977 KZ1000A1 (Superbike Project)
1969 Chevrolet C/10 Short Fleet

More
12 Apr 2011 13:27 #444254 by steell

Beard wrote: also i have sat there all night trying to figure out the new old bike i just picked up would let the rear tire spin while it was in gear.. finally i realized the bike didnt have a chain!

I stand humbled in the presence of greatness
I retire as a defeated champion :blush:

KD9JUR

More
12 Apr 2011 13:53 #444257 by OregonMatt
Replied by OregonMatt on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
I wore a battery down to the point where it wouldn't turn the starter, then proceed to kick the bike until I was absolutely exhausted, only to realize the kill switch was on off. then a month or two later, did the exact same thing

1976 kz 900

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
12 Apr 2011 14:26 - 12 Apr 2011 14:27 #444261 by Rainman
Replied by Rainman on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
Left turns suck with the side stand down (every time not just the first) just like dismounts with it left up.

Forgotten fill cap rustproofs the right side,
trying the starter without the stator cover in place to admire your handy work of rebuilding a 750 twin starter clutch takes care of the left side.

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL
Last edit: 12 Apr 2011 14:27 by Rainman.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
12 Apr 2011 15:05 #444268 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
i saw a guy fire up a motor he just rebuilt without 1 of the nuts on a rod,i think it was a 390 ford! :sick:
no that one wasnt me! :woohoo:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
12 Apr 2011 15:22 #444271 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
we had a member on here from missouri(wont mention his name,again wasnt me! )
anyway i helped with part of the assembly of his 900ltd anyway he calls me up after hes put about 500 miles on it cruising the mountains.
says when he stops the front end acts really funky! :sick:
since i rebuilt the front brakes for him i drove down there to take a look at it :blink: so i drive it around the block and realized immediately something was really wrong,come back to his house and jack it up and you can push/pull the entire front end band forth front to rear! :sick:
i proceed to strip the whole frontend off of bike in about 15 minutes,the look on his face after he just spent 2 years putting it together was priceless! :woohoo:
come to find out after he had frame and triple trees powder coated and new tapered bearings pressed on he installed them without installing bearing races in steering head. :sick: :dry: :huh: :blush: :S :unsure: :( :blink: :ohmy: :whistle:
so anyway i made an install tool from a piece of all-thread some fender washer a couple nuts and 2 pvc pipe fittings and got it all back together,also dumped that damn 10w fork oil and replaced it with 30w synthetic motor oil and 2 new fork springs i had laying around.
had front end rebuilt and bike up and running down the street in under 2 hrs,he told me it took him 6 months to put the frontend back together and i did it faster than he could bolt the front wheel on! :P
the next day i installed pull down steps into his attic! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
12 Apr 2011 15:36 #444276 by WABBMW
On my first attempt to ride my KZ650 from Texas to California, my clutch started slipping after about 500 miles from Houston, around Ft. Stockton, Texas. I discovered that it was better if i ran in 4th gear instead of 5th. Went on to Las Cruses, New Mexico - 790 miles from Houston, on the first day. Was goofy tired. The next morning with the oil cold, the bike wouldn't even pull up a gentle hill, so I decided to abandon the group and head home. Took it very easy and limped home in 2 days.

Took my clutch apart, inspected the friction plates, steel plates, measured thickness, etc. Everything looked great. Then I discovered that the whole problem was the pushrod clearance adjustment on the left side cover of the bike. I could have done this in 5 minutes on the road if I had just known about it. Before the trip, I had not had the bike that long, and read about it in the manual, but the nut was corroded onto the adjustment screw, so I thought I better "leave well enough alone". If I had only known!

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)

More
28 Jan 2012 14:22 #500454 by Beard
we need some new entries

79 KZ650B
Jack of everything, Master of nothing.

More
30 Jan 2012 21:25 #500976 by Marneman
Replied by Marneman on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
Funny, I missed this thread before. While building my current project, I meticulously cleaned, stripped, painted and rebuilt my LTD front master cylinder before I actually tried to fit it on the new "super bike" bars. Idiot....

Sold for some good coin on ebay though :laugh: Used the cash to buy another corroded one so I could do it all over again. This one at least fits though ;)

77 KZ1000-A1 "Bushido" Project
82 KZ1000 LTD "Terri Lee"

You know what, I don't have a one to some other number of douche-bag scale. So.. Six!

More
31 Jan 2012 14:09 #501090 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
Got blackout drunk.. carved a smiley face into my gastank. went to sleep, woke up hungover, saw my bike, cried. :D

Installed Kerker 4 into 1 and left stock jetting. I thought the sound of firecrackers going off behind me sounded cool. Rode it all summer like that. Fail.

Screwed in flywheel puller to remove flywheel when my starter clutch came loose. Flywheel puller stuck out about 5 inches after being threaded in. went to mindlessly put my bike on its side stand without the engine cover on. Oil dumps everywhere. Then i slip and drop my bike right on its side with the puller sticking out so a good 5-600 pounds of weight is being put on the crankshaft. <
that one was the worst.

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
31 Jan 2012 14:22 #501091 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic The best way to rust proof your bike. idiot?
I was 16 years old and had a 1972 Yamaha RT1, two stroke when I was in high school. Rode it to work one day and it just died. I assumed the worst, pushed it home then tore engine apart and rebuilt it with new pistons, rings gaskets, ect.. Couldn't get it started after the re-build, kept trying to kick start it on and off for two days. I was about ready to take a sledge hammer to it when my Dad comes out and asked me if it had gas. Opened the tank and it was empty, I guess the engine didn't need re-building.