rear flat at 65 mph banked over...idiot move...

More
30 Mar 2011 13:09 #441426 by jeffasaki
Replied by jeffasaki on topic rear flat at 65 mph banked over...idiot move...
Good to here youre ok.
IMO I never use tape of any kind to cover the spoke screws,Itll get hot melt and bundle up exposing the screws,get the proper rubber protector,and through your tire out of balance.
Also when im changing tubes or tires I use some baby powder as a lubricant around inside of tire and all over the tube.
Try its works great
Jeff

78 Z1R
78 KZ1000
76 KH500 gone
71 HS1B 90
81 GS 1100 gone
80 PE400
02 KLR

Ontario Canada

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
30 Mar 2011 14:18 #441438 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic rear flat at 65 mph banked over...idiot move...
they are ok i only rolled on it a few feet...it was alomost flat when i felt it and was falt seconds later....that was when i parked it

testarossa wrote: How far did you ride it flat? I'd bet the sidewalls are toast.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
30 Mar 2011 14:21 #441440 by T_Dub
Wow thats nutty. Good thing you're ok.

1977 KZ650B1
-810cc
-Cavanaugh Racing Head
-Mikuni RS34's
-GPR Muffler

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2011 14:24 #441441 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic rear flat at 65 mph banked over...idiot move...

jeffasaki wrote: Good to here youre ok.
IMO I never use tape of any kind to cover the spoke screws,Itll get hot melt and bundle up exposing the screws,get the proper rubber protector,and through your tire out of balance.
Also when im changing tubes or tires I use some baby powder as a lubricant around inside of tire and all over the tube.
Try its works great
Jeff

baby powder is my trick too...the tape is doing okay i only use a small strip and triple it 1" wide at most...i do need the rubber strips...i think i will attempt to re-do the whole inner on both rims and clear my mind some...calling around to get the tube is turning into a nightmare,,,,,,,:(

i'm pretty sure i have 1 if not two older tubes from take offs...i dont like my bike sitting at some strangers house a town away....if i can not locate a tube i'm gonna being borrowing a truck tonight

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• Proxy
  • User
  • 80% Human 20% Nuts/Bolts
More
30 Mar 2011 14:30 #441443 by Proxy
I heard stories of blow outs that have scared me straight. Tires are important. ;) I was told a front blowout is the worse because as you brake the tire gets squished and starts to roll where it wants. Either way front or rear your underoos are in Jeopardy! I'll take Fruit of the Looms for 1000 Alex! Glad you are still with us. I would also skip the duct tape and get the rubber ring or at least run a nice thick silicone sealant/adhesive bead around the spoke well. Sometimes you don't get a second chance.

Take it from me cuz I found
If you leave it then somebody else is bound,
To find that treasure, that moment of pleasure,
When yours, it could have been.
1977 KZ650 B1 Being restored to original (Green)
1977 KZ650 B1 Original (Red) Sold
1977 KZ650 B1 Donor Bike for Parts

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
30 Mar 2011 23:44 #441555 by trianglelaguna
well i fixed the tire today in the middle of the street with the old slow leak tube for now and ordered a new one...made it home,even got a nice ride in and a few pics...but first...i win the banana this year i think
I make mistakes...not all the time and not always big ones...but this is a big one...
It was all my fault...here goes....dont tear me a new one, believe me i feel bad enough already...
the story deserves telling though imo
got off work and loaded what i might need to do a clean tire change(tube)on the side of a street...

the tire had a weird bruise or hot spot...i thought ,when it first happened that this was a skid i had done
earlier to find out why the bike felt so weird....it must have had some skid there and when it got hot left a bruise?

but more later on that one spot...the whole tire looked cooked a tad from going a few hundered feet at heat

did a little tire work in the street

inspected the patch....hmmm seems tight enough...did not wanna waste my tank of air to test the tube for a leak spot.....

cool people that let me park overnight...Amy was chatting away with the lady and her parrots

cool little beach house

folks had mentioned running my hand inside the tire to feel for sharp stuff...did that nothing ,some more,nothing,hey whats this rolling inside when i rotate the tire??????????
[attachment:10]i found this.JPG[/attachment]
hmmmmm looks like that plug wrench i use as a third iron that i had sent flying the day i was changing the tube...hmmmm...i thought i lost it in the driveway?????
[attachment:11]straight bullshit!!!.JPG[/attachment]
seems i put it in my tire for safe keeping...good thing i'm so smart...good thing i gave looking for it after a few minutes....good thing those teenagers from next door were hanging out talking to me.it is their fault right???...good thing i am so smart....:blush:

[attachment:12]how did that get in there.JPG[/attachment]
oh well ,i guess that was that weird feeling the bike had...you know the ole...plug wrench inside your tire feeling..:( i kept thinking i should go home...something is way wrong...what could be that bad...hmmm..ride it and see what happens:pinch:

anyways....amazing and i am at fault...it is about the best mistake with bikes i have ever made...or up there at least.....it flung off so fast i thought it went in the weeds or some where else....i had not popped both beads the first try thinking the valve side was enough to squeeze a hand in and retrieve the tube...the extra fight against the outer/lower bead was my first mistake and not finding the wrench that shot away,i thought it did! :blink: ,was my almost fatal error...

anyways...shot a few good pics on the way home...spring is here and the area is alive and the weather awesome...see if i can stay alive now....
[attachment:13]ocean 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:14]ocean 2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:15]ocean 3.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:16]im alive i think.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:17]all is well.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:18]home 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:19]kz250.JPG[/attachment]

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
30 Mar 2011 23:55 #441560 by wireman

Proxy wrote: I heard stories of blow outs that have scared me straight. Tires are important. ;) I was told a front blowout is the worse because as you brake the tire gets squished and starts to roll where it wants. Either way front or rear your underoos are in Jeopardy! I'll take Fruit of the Looms for 1000 Alex! Glad you are still with us. I would also skip the duct tape and get the rubber ring or at least run a nice thick silicone sealant/adhesive bead around the spoke well. Sometimes you don't get a second chance.

i think rears are worse since it will try and swap ends B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
31 Mar 2011 00:00 #441561 by wireman

trianglelaguna wrote: well i fixed the tire today in the middle of the street with the old slow leak tube for now and ordered a new one...made it home,even got a nice ride in and a few pics...but first...i win the banana this year i think
I make mistakes...not all the time and not always big ones...but this is a big one...
It was all my fault...here goes....dont tear me a new one, believe me i feel bad enough already...
the story deserves telling though imo
got off work and loaded what i might need to do a clean tire change(tube)on the side of a street...

the tire had a weird bruise or hot spot...i thought ,when it first happened that this was a skid i had done
earlier to find out why the bike felt so weird....it must have had some skid there and when it got hot left a bruise?

but more later on that one spot...the whole tire looked cooked a tad from going a few hundered feet at heat

did a little tire work in the street

inspected the patch....hmmm seems tight enough...did not wanna waste my tank of air to test the tube for a leak spot.....

cool people that let me park overnight...Amy was chatting away with the lady and her parrots

cool little beach house

folks had mentioned running my hand inside the tire to feel for sharp stuff...did that nothing ,some more,nothing,hey whats this rolling inside when i rotate the tire??????????
[attachment:10]i found this.JPG[/attachment]
hmmmmm looks like that plug wrench i use as a third iron that i had sent flying the day i was changing the tube...hmmmm...i thought i lost it in the driveway?????
[attachment:11]straight bullshit!!!.JPG[/attachment]
seems i put it in my tire for safe keeping...good thing i'm so smart...good thing i gave looking for it after a few minutes....good thing those teenagers from next door were hanging out talking to me.it is their fault right???...good thing i am so smart....:blush:

[attachment:12]how did that get in there.JPG[/attachment]
oh well ,i guess that was that weird feeling the bike had...you know the ole...plug wrench inside your tire feeling..:( i kept thinking i should go home...something is way wrong...what could be that bad...hmmm..ride it and see what happens:pinch:

anyways....amazing and i am at fault...it is about the best mistake with bikes i have ever made...or up there at least.....it flung off so fast i thought it went in the weeds or some where else....i had not popped both beads the first try thinking the valve side was enough to squeeze a hand in and retrieve the tube...the extra fight against the outer/lower bead was my first mistake and not finding the wrench that shot away,i thought it did! :blink: ,was my almost fatal error...

anyways...shot a few good pics on the way home...spring is here and the area is alive and the weather awesome...see if i can stay alive now....
[attachment:13]ocean 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:14]ocean 2.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:15]ocean 3.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:16]im alive i think.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:17]all is well.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:18]home 1.JPG[/attachment]

[attachment:19]kz250.JPG[/attachment]

alright now buy some extra tubes and a new tire since you tortured that one!

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

More
31 Mar 2011 00:02 - 13 Feb 2012 18:58 #441562 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic .

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 13 Feb 2012 18:58 by KZ250LTD.

• trianglelaguna
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2011 00:23 #441567 by trianglelaguna
i left a wrench inside my tire!!!!!!! no really i did....then i hualed as on it...no really...i did.... :blink: :angry: :( :unsure: :silly: :pinch: :side: :whistle: :evil: :S :huh: :dry:

...rushing to get the bike back together...my back was out from gardening most of the weekend and it was late in the afternoon/weekend/and the punk kids next door were yapping and hanging out to avoid the creepy vibe of dad having the new girlfriend around for the first time and i wanted away from the kids buzzing around me...i was burnt out...and wanted the bike rolling to stow in the shop and go watch my recorded races...i remembered at the last second that i wanted to balance the tire...but had already started cleaning up the tools...it may have tipped me off to some problem if the tire took and ounce of weight...or not....i may have never found it had it not tried to burn its way out of my tire....i was thinking alignment...shocks...psi....bent something ...spacer out of sync....i dont know that i would have taken the tire off until i had tried some other things...if ever...like a sponge left in a patient for 5 yrs....type deal....

and yes...new tire...new tube and new rim strip...this bike was maybe gonna be next to go under re-do anyways...i wanted to have two running this summer in case anyone made it to the GP...gonna have to wait till the MKII is done soon to spend cheese on this bike...oh well....could have been my end ,so it is all good...live....and....learn

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• wagonmaster69
  • User
  • 78 KZ1000A2 / 82 KZ1100 Spectre
More
31 Mar 2011 02:43 #441620 by wagonmaster69
Replied by wagonmaster69 on topic rear flat at 65 mph banked over...idiot move..
When I had my first KZ1000 a 77.

I was at strip club after work with a friend as I left and start my bike I swear I saw the nutraul light. :pinch:
Nope I was wrong let go of clutch and went rite into a pole took out my head light.
So at 1 am with my friend following me I took tree diffrent fwy's to get home.
Got off the freeway I see a cop giving somebody a ticket he flashes me with his light cause I had no head light I motion to him it was out and I had a little way's to go and he waved me on.
Finely get home front tire hits that 1/2 inch or so lip from street to drive way I'm ok my back tire hits it and I hear a bang and I feel the back tire go flat the good thing I had another 10 feet to go.
And I was hitting 60-70 on the fwy's.

78 KZ1000 work in progress in Hacienda Heights California and a 82 KZ1100 Spectra And a 1992 ZX11.

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
31 Mar 2011 10:01 #441642 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic rear flat at 65 mph banked over...idiot move..
Whoa, I'm not gonna bust your balls because it's an important story to tell. Just glad to hear you didn't bite it on that deal. I like to think that I change my own tires/do my own maintenance so that some goon at the tire shop doesn't do something like this to me. You make a very good point about being tired and distracted. That's exactly what leads to mistakes. I know my kids are usually running around outside while I'm working on a bike. They always ask a thousand questions, and it's easy to get distracted.

And, I thought you were gonna find a drywall screw in there. Damn, a plug wrench! It's a good thing that the wrench didn't burrow out of the tire. :sick:

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN