Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
23 Mar 2011 02:39 #439863 by TomW
Anyone been to one of these clinics? I'm thinking about doing it in May. Opinions? Testimonials? Bashes?

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Mar 2011 04:20 #439866 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
I have heard very good things about the California Superbike School. However, I think that is tailored a little more to trackday riders and amateur racers than road riding.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
23 Mar 2011 07:10 #439872 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
That sounds like a school for racers. The TCARC is an intermediate step between the Motorcycle Safety Foundations Experienced Riders Course and the racing schools. It's meant for street riders who want to increase their confidence and ability to stay healthy while going faster.

I'm hoping someone here can give me an unbiased opinion. The testimonials on the web site are surely hand picked to be the most glowing. One of the clinics near me is held at Road America near Elkhart Lake, WI on the go-cart course.:woohoo: Another is at a big parking lot in Milwaukee. :sick:

More
24 Mar 2011 23:15 #440247 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
Tom, you're right. Do you recommend the MSF Experienced course? I'm curious about TCARC now, I had not heard of it before.

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
25 Mar 2011 01:08 #440290 by TomW
Here's a link to TCARC.

www.totalcontroltraining.net/

I can't recommend the MSF because I've never taken it. My old insurance company offered a discount if you take a riders course. I think they mentioned the MSF. I bought and read the book written by Lee Parks who founded TCARC. It's called 'Total Control, image that. ;-) I'm getting pretty pumped about it. I've signed up on the TCARC forum and have been reading comments by graduates. They all seem pretty positive about it too. I'm ready to bite the bullet for the $295 next month, but I'd like some independent feedback first.

More
26 Mar 2011 17:28 - 26 Mar 2011 17:29 #440615 by parkingpuckguy
Replied by parkingpuckguy on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
I took the Total Control Advanced Riding Clinic in Michigan last year. There is a mix of classroom instruction and practical skills riding in a large open area marked with cones. Our course was in a parking lot.

The instructors were great and I was in awe of a couple of them dragging their knees around the figure 8 cone setup on Goldwings!!! Amazing.

Instructions were clear and there was always good discussion between the riders and instructors.

There is also a forum here: www.totalcontrolforums.com/

Just my .02 but I think you will enjoy it if you go.
Last edit: 26 Mar 2011 17:29 by parkingpuckguy.

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
27 Mar 2011 19:59 #440819 by TomW
The instructors were great and I was in awe of a couple of them dragging their knees around the figure 8 cone setup on Goldwings!!! Amazing.

Instructions were clear and there was always good discussion between the riders and instructors.

There is also a forum here: www.totalcontrolforums.com/

Just my .02 but I think you will enjoy it if you go.[/quote]

Your two cents is worth a gold mine. I've seen videos on the 'net of some of the clinics, and yes some of what they do on large tourers is amazing. I'm going to do it. I think the clinic at Road America would be nice, a lot better than a parking lot in the city. Thanks for your input.

More
27 Mar 2011 20:39 - 27 Mar 2011 20:43 #440839 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
Tom, Not familar w/'em. BUT, Rec. ANY Govt. sponsored rider course. I take a "refresher" course every couple years. In spite, or possibly because I've been riding for 40+ years and have raced Road,MX,Ice,Trials,trail ride &street, & as a professional M/C Tech ride on an avg @ an hour a day & have for the last 20 + years, I find that there's "always" something to either learn or "re-discover". luck G. P/S, I'm so old, both Keith Code & Reg Pridmore were my instructors.

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1
Last edit: 27 Mar 2011 20:43 by gane.

More
27 Mar 2011 20:45 - 27 Mar 2011 20:45 #440840 by parkingpuckguy
Replied by parkingpuckguy on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
Tom,
you will really enjoy the part where they take you through your positioning on the bike for the figure 8. A number of the other class participants will need to help too. :lol:

Let us know your thoughts about that when you are done.
Last edit: 27 Mar 2011 20:45 by parkingpuckguy.

• TomW
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
28 Mar 2011 06:42 #440906 by TomW

parkingpuckguy wrote: Tom,
you will really enjoy the part where they take you through your positioning on the bike for the figure 8. A number of the other class participants will need to help too. :lol:

They'll need lots of help, I weigh 270. :ohmy:

More
28 Mar 2011 07:25 #440909 by jjack010
Replied by jjack010 on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
I have taken a few MSF courses and would recommend them to anyone. They offer several courses bases on your riding experience or style. This is also the course military personel are required to take. Plus, insurance discount.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Central Texas

• WABBMW
  • User
  • Let The Good Times Roll !
More
28 Mar 2011 11:27 - 28 Mar 2011 11:43 #440942 by WABBMW
Replied by WABBMW on topic Total Control Advanced Riders Clinic
Tom:
I have thoroughly read their book, but have not taken the course. The book is geared to squeezing the maximum performance from modern sport bikes, but it appears that the course is more low keyed to parking lot training. I own a KZ and one of the late model bikes, and the performance is light years apart, but it appears that they cater to any type of motorcycle, so you should be OK.

I have collaborated with another training group called "Ride Smart". They do track training. There are 3 levels, but even the least experienced level is quite proficient. Their web site is: www.ridesmart.info Even better, is to go to www.YouTube.com/user/RideSmart1 They have over 300 videos. Some talk about body position, cornering, braking, etc. and are very beneficial, whether on a track or on public streets and roads. Others are on tracks going quite fast.

I believe that it depends on your individual experience level as to whether the course will be: A. Helpful and challenging - or B: Flat out intimidating and frightening. They mention about needing 3,000 miles of riding experience. Since the training is in a parking lot, then that says a great deal about the level of the training - probably suitable no matter what. But if the training were on a track, then it is probably not suitable for a rider who is new to motorcycles. You know where you fit into this, and are the best judge, but the RideSmart videos may help to know just where your experience level is. Good luck.

Bill Baker
Houston, Texas
1982 KZ650 CSR
2008 Yamaha FZ1
2006 Yamaha FZ1
1977 Honda Supersport 750 four (sold)
1984 Honda Nighthawk 650 (sold)
Last edit: 28 Mar 2011 11:43 by WABBMW. Reason: watched the video and learned more about the course