BMW S1000RR

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Mar 2011 18:58 #436026 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic BMW S1000RR
MTB if you are a member on the S1000r forum, then you may have already seen this video. It's not stock for stock, the Kawasaki has had the computer hacked to remove the restrictions that Kawasaki has placed on USA bikes. Both have the usual, slip-on, PowerCommander combo. One thing I know about the owner of the Ninja from the zx-10r forum is that the dude knows how to build a seriously fast bike. Actually looks like the Beemer has the low end grunt advantage, and would probably be more fun on the street, but damn that Ninja is pulling like a team of mules on the big end. Here you go with the illegality:

Reportedly the BMW signed off at 192mph and the Kaw got to 197mph in the 9/10s.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Mar 2011 19:32 #436030 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic BMW S1000RR
which one gets from 50-100 quickest? after that its all basically useless anyplace other than a full blown race track. B)

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• testarossa
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 19:49 #436035 by testarossa
wireman wrote:

which one gets from 50-100 quickest? after that its all basically useless anyplace other than a full blown race track. B)

Well IIRC they started the race from a 30mph roll in first gear. Depending on how the bikes are geared 100mph is around the top of first gear or barely into second so you have your answer. Obviously the Beemer barely had him until third gear when the Ninja started gaining ground, but IMO the difference is so close that it could come down to rider. It would be interesting to see the same race from a dead stop. Traction control and wheelie control take all the drama out of this race here. Try pinning the throttle on my 2004 ninja all the way through first gear and you'll get a new perspective on the world.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
07 Mar 2011 20:34 #436048 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic BMW S1000RR
Ok, Ill chime in here. Ive had a sport bike. A 2004 R1. It was tastefully modded. I had if for a year and regret selling it but the debt wasnt worth the adrenaline. I admit it was an impulse buy after my separation with my exwife. I wanted a sportbike and a good friend had a 07 R1. I loved the look, sound, ride and honestly the ergonomics fit my 6'4 frame more than a 600 bike.
I didnt need a liter bike. NO one "needs" a liter bike. Talk to any track day guys and the liter guys are always the ones crashing....
But for me, I like vintage Japanese bikes and cars. Because I can tinker to my liking and not worry about my shiny plastics getting scratched.
In the end, its your money....go for what feels right but dont buy just with your eyes and wallet. Test ride a lot of bikes and go from there.

Heres my 04 R1

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• testarossa
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 20:54 #436055 by testarossa
Man I really wanted that Yamaha in your picture. I even had one in the same paint scheme slip right through my hands just before I bought the zx-10r. The Yammi is a better looking bike, and I'm 6'3" it probably would have fit like a glove. That said, I love my ninja. You're right on the money. You cannot understand what they mean about not needing a superbike until you own one. I can assure you that racer on a well sorted 600 would leave me for dead at the track. It is fun to have the stupid power on tap though. You have to get your right hand in check on any new liter bike. If not you'll be in for a ride for sure.

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

More
07 Mar 2011 21:01 #436057 by hal0tw0
Replied by hal0tw0 on topic BMW S1000RR
testarossa wrote:

Man I really wanted that Yamaha in your picture. I even had one in the same paint scheme slip right through my hands just before I bought the zx-10r. The Yammi is a better looking bike, and I'm 6'3" it probably would have fit like a glove. That said, I love my ninja. You're right on the money. You cannot understand what they mean about not needing a superbike until you own one. I can assure you that racer on a well sorted 600 would leave me for dead at the track. It is fun to have the stupid power on tap though. You have to get your right hand in check on any new liter bike. If not you'll be in for a ride for sure.

Thanks man, the liquid silver was pure sex IMHO. Initially to respect all that power on tap, geez was it a lot of power, I would start off in second gear sometimes, lol. Right hand movements were definitely in half degree increments or else you would get bucked like a rodeo clown. First gear topped out at 91mph and the fastest I ever did was 156...dumb i know.

One more for ya B)

1976 KA900. VM28 pumper carbs, K&N pod fiters, RC performace 4/1 exhaust, Dyna ignition, Accel coils and wires, Ohlins rear shocks.....more to come

• testarossa
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 21:06 #436058 by testarossa
hal0tw0 wrote:

Thanks man, the liquid silver was pure sex IMHO. Initially to respect all that power on tap, geez was it a lot of power, I would start off in second gear sometimes, lol. Right hand movements were definitely in half degree increments or else you would get bucked like a rodeo clown. First gear topped out at 91mph and the fastest I ever did was 156...dumb i know.

One more for ya B)

That front quarter shot is freakin calendar material. Why did they restyle that? The new bike is a bug eyed, portly mistake compared to the 04. If it were me, I would make every Yamaha of every displacement in that body style right there for the next 10 years. I'll have mine in Liquid Silver too, where do I sign?

2004 ZX-10R
Angola, IN

• wireman
  • User
  • The most interesting prick in the world
More
07 Mar 2011 21:09 #436060 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic BMW S1000RR
testarossa wrote:

wireman wrote:

Well IIRC they started the race from a 30mph roll in first gear. Depending on how the bikes are geared 100mph is around the top of first gear or barely into second so you have your answer. Obviously the Beemer barely had him until third gear when the Ninja started gaining ground, but IMO the difference is so close that it could come down to rider. It would be interesting to see the same race from a dead stop. Traction control and wheelie control take all the drama out of this race here. Try pinning the throttle on my 2004 ninja all the way through first gear and you'll get a new perspective on the world.

in the past ive tried my hand at pinning throttle on a 1428 turbo,several 1197 turbos,a 2006 zx14 turbo,several carbed 1170-1197 bikes,and my spunky little 1327 street bike and im here to say ive had very little luck pinning throttle on any of them and maintaining much in the way of control without some serious finessing of the clutch! :laugh:

posting from deep under a non-descript barn in an undisclosed location southwest of Omaha.

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 22:02 #436066 by mtbspeedfreak
Replied by mtbspeedfreak on topic BMW S1000RR
9am53 wrote:

Considering that you are not Rossi, could you really tell the difference between the BMW and say a 10 year old litrebike? I am not trying to be a smarta$$, just honestly wondering if for regular people the extra few ponies and technology would be worth the added cost of a brand new high end bike for the track.

That is my debate right now actually. These new literbikes (10R and S1K) are so technologically advanced they don't compare to the bikes a decade ago- let alone 2 years ago. The manufactures have hit the wall as far as squeezing out as much horsepower goes- 200 hp per liter- where else do you find that in naturally aspirated engines running on pump gas without costing more than $20k? Formula 1 doesn't count :P

So now, the manufacturers have started to realize how hard these bikes are to ride [holy ^%$@ did I just accidently pop a wheelie at 140 mph???] and are properly investing their R&D time into the electronics to "tame" them. Throw a '09 10R up against a '11 10R and let's bet on who eats it first. From my experience test riding the S1K, I will only buy a bike with the computer "nannies" to cover my ass so I at least have a fighting chance. I'd also like to add that if I do purchase one of these widowmakers, I will take the California Superbike School and get a full-blown leather suit- if you do it, you gotta do it right!

2000 ZRX 1100
1976 KZ 900- Daily Driver
1980 LTD 550- Dalton Highway survivor!

If it has tits or tires, it'll give you problems!

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 22:08 #436067 by mtbspeedfreak
testarossa wrote:

MTB if you are a member on the S1000r forum, then you may have already seen this video. It's not stock for stock, the Kawasaki has had the computer hacked to remove the restrictions that Kawasaki has placed on USA bikes. Both have the usual, slip-on, PowerCommander combo. One thing I know about the owner of the Ninja from the zx-10r forum is that the dude knows how to build a seriously fast bike. Actually looks like the Beemer has the low end grunt advantage, and would probably be more fun on the street, but damn that Ninja is pulling like a team of mules on the big end. Here you go with the illegality:

The fact that these jackwads aren't wearing gear totally negates ANY statistics (GPS verified or not). I don't care who you think you are (not you in particular Testa- I've had a rough day on the KZ Forum :blush: ), you don't ride bikes like these without leather. Plain. And. Simple.

I have been paying attention to the various motorcycle rags at the grocery store, I have yet to see a comparison article that does either bike justice (Oh, well the 10R came neutered, so we threw a PCV [PowerCommander V] and a full titanium and carbon Akrapovic exhaust system to even the playing field. Or, well, with a PCV, the S1K has over 200 at the crank, and we figure anyone paying $18k for this bike can afford the $200 chip... and so on). Let me know if you find one though!

I remember when the '04 Ninja first came out- it was love at first sight. Right then and there I decided I was going to get a Ninja 10R at some point in my life. Have you had it since it was new?

2000 ZRX 1100

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 22:11 #436068 by mtbspeedfreak
mtbspeedfreak wrote:

testarossa wrote:

The fact that these jackwads aren't wearing gear totally negates ANY statistics (GPS verified or not). I don't care who you think you are (not you in particular Testa- I've had a rough day on the KZ Forum :blush: ), you don't ride bikes like these without leather. Plain. And. Simple.

I have been paying attention to the various motorcycle rags at the grocery store, I have yet to see a comparison article that does either bike justice (Oh, well the 10R came neutered, so we threw a PCV [PowerCommander V] and a full titanium and carbon Akrapovic exhaust system to even the playing field. Or, well, with a PCV, the S1K has over 200 at the crank, and we figure anyone paying $18k for this bike can afford the $200 chip... and so on). Let me know if you find one though!

I remember when the '04 Ninja first came out- it was love at first sight. Right then and there I decided I was going to get a Ninja 10R at some point in my life. Have you had it since it was new?

Maybe I'll just grab a Ducati or Aprilla to make everyone mad! :cheer:

2000 ZRX 1100

• mtbspeedfreak
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
07 Mar 2011 22:14 #436071 by mtbspeedfreak
hal0tw0 wrote:

I didnt need a liter bike. NO one "needs" a liter bike. Talk to any track day guys and the liter guys are always the ones crashing....
But for me, I like vintage Japanese bikes and cars. Because I can tinker to my liking and not worry about my shiny plastics getting scratched.
In the end, its your money....go for what feels right but dont buy just with your eyes and wallet. Test ride a lot of bikes and go from there.

EXACTLY!!! That's why I like my KZ so much. You can work on it without a degree in computer engineering! If I break down in the middle of the Mojave Desert, I can most likely McGuyver myself outta there. You can't do that with FI, computer chips, and traction control. Also, for someone my age [23], insurance for the S1K and my KZ would be $2200 a year. I dunno about you, but that ALMOST moots this topic :)

PS, I like your '76. Please do keep me in mind if you ever decide to part with your pipe ;) My Dad has an RC pipe on his Z1A.

2000 ZRX 1100