cheap bike ?

More
29 May 2010 20:06 #371994 by hmeric7
Replied by hmeric7 on topic cheap bike ?
so ure syaing shell still pop over with out the carb son with a little poooof of juice lol say the cabs are off now. i have to buy a new igniton switch the guy who owned it lost the key lol. but yeah ill try it if u think itll work. the nice thing is that all the chrome the seat the lights painttires and what nopt are like mint really good shape .. 100 bucks was a steal if she runs

1977 KZ 1000 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
29 May 2010 21:48 #372011 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic cheap bike ?
It won't run but it will fire without the carbs. Does it have a kickstart? You would surely want to change the oil and check the obvious stuff like turning it over by hand if you can to feel for any hangups or anything like a stuck valve before you just start trying to shell the engine. Maybe pull your plugs and put a little oil in the holes before you turn it over... just a few drops in each cylinder. See that your plugs and spark gap look good, no pistons hitting plugs or really fouled plugs. You know just like a good gal. Get to know what she's like before you just dive in. If it's all good, just hit her with a LITTLE juice. Not trying to get her drunk, you just want to know if she'll be able to run once you get her eased up.

Good Luck!

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
29 May 2010 22:08 #372016 by hmeric7
k well ill give that a try whenever i get the new ignition. i know the carbs the butterflys open just fine but the slide parts wont go up at all. arnt they supposed to

1977 KZ 1000 LTD

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
30 May 2010 07:16 #372052 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic cheap bike ?
Depends on the style. If there's a Diaphram in the top of the carb, then the slides operate off that, but you should be able to lift them with your finger. they'll have some resistance to them, but shouldn't feel gritty or sticky.

I've been through a few carbs, but I'm definitely not an expert. Maybe someone with more experience can help us out here after while.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

More
01 Jun 2010 19:24 #372708 by hmeric7
well i just went through the cabrs after soaking in laqueer thinner over the weekend. carbs were all torn down of corse cleaned em all up. got the slides working real good . put the carbs on and sure enough she runs. after 5 yrs of siitin dormant in the back of a grarage she started right up. she dont run great yet but hey for a 100 buckaroos and shes atleast idling some what and reving somewhat id say im doing good. all electrical works. turns, lights , and even the fuel gauge. i left the gas tank and petcock off becuse they were pretty varnished. im probally gonna be better off just looking for nos<new old stock> or used parts.

1977 KZ 1000 LTD

More
01 Jun 2010 19:46 #372711 by wannaby
Replied by wannaby on topic cheap bike ?
Good score looks better than what I just picked up for a hund the other day we should start a contest ...who can pick up the most and best 4 cylinders for 100 bucks or less.....
Attachments: