Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting

More
19 Apr 2010 14:11 #361732 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
As many have said, it's legal in CA under certain conditions. Motor cops abuse it more than squids. CHP or LAPD cycle cops will fly by at 90 when I'm doing 70 in my cage.
I'll split lanes if it's hot, and if traffic is stopped. Stop & go freeway traffic is the rule out here, so I ride in the "bike lane" -- that yellow strip between the fast lane and the carpool lane.
Biggest problem is getting out of the way of the high speed riders that come up behind me.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Apr 2010 17:18 #361775 by dutchz
Replied by dutchz on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Mark Wing wrote:

I live in So Cal and lane share/split EVERY day and have done so on I-5 many times. I try to keep my speed down and I move over for faster bikes and let them go as fast as they want. It is HARD on your brain but I think that's good for you to challenge yourself now and then. I've been doing it for 30+ years and find some people try and cut you off but they have to readjust their mirror after I move it for them. More people move over to let you go.

Mark

I agree Mark, that is exactly my experience here in So Cal. Haven't been doing it as long as you, but many more people move out of the way than try to obstruct you. I think doing it politely (as described) you avoid most of the problems and the frustration with car drivers. I get annoyed by people blowing by inbetween cars at 70mph as well, whether I am on my bike or in my car.
It IS very hard on the brain but if you don't stay on your toes you may very well end up on your face.... I've lane split all the way home a few times and you're pretty beat after 45 mins of that crap.

1974 Kawasaki Z1
Stock front hub and rear axle.

More
20 Apr 2010 13:56 #361987 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Ok Tri, I guess living in the vicinity of LA is mainly what I'm talking about but where you live I think I'd love to live and ride but south no thanks to that and ride. How can you get anywhere with all that traffic? and I5 is central to most destinations from my brother's house. Sorry but it just seems that you guys can't get away with anything over there. If you get caught speeding on your bicycle they want to write a damned citation for that as well. I love the weather though and if I could afford the cost of living I think I'd make do with the situation and not give up riding. But it is hectic and very tense. I don't scare easy but on the 5 I believe that eventually all bikers would get in to an accident sooner than later.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
21 Apr 2010 07:16 #362116 by Theseus
Replied by Theseus on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Is there really that much traffic in arizona. After reading it seems they have a population limit on where it can be done. I only ask since it seems likely the traffic there would be similar to what I ride with in Johnson county Kansas(lower temp). It would be nice to be able to lane split those few times I do run into traffic, however most of slow downs occur heading into construcion or areas where multiple lanes merge. Around here people have no respect for a bike riding in a full lane. I can only imagine their reaction/ignorance of a bike splitting lanes. Also KC has the added problem of two state governments making your daily ride as confusing as possible by each having their own laws.
Silly question. Is lane splitting still legal in const. zones?

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
21 Apr 2010 09:20 #362138 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
so i walk up to a ca highway car patrolman while i was getting gas in my cage and he was getting somthing....donuts i think.......

and i ask him "hey can i ask you a question"...to which he looks at me like im asking if he wants to break the law....some cops man,i tell ya...makes you you really wish to tell em hey F.U..total pinhead stuck up public servant...all cause "I" have a question for a peace officer...

So anyways....

i ask if lane splitting is legal on highway one.....he says only if traffics stopped....and i said no no ,i'd never do it at 30 sir...he says if traffic is moving at all it is against the law....then gave me the "were done talking and i have a gun " look...

I believe his awnswer was a lie and i was actualy un-educated by speaking with him as opposed to getting some education.......what a dick.....i hope he see plenty of wheelies and burnouts come motogp......

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
21 Apr 2010 09:42 #362144 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
"Follow the motorcop" when lane splitting is a common practice here. And no, traffic is almost never stopped. If it's illegal, the cop leading the pack doesn't know or doesn't care...

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
22 Apr 2010 15:00 #362438 by trippivot
Replied by trippivot on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
I love lane splitting Great idea. hooray AZ!!!

I like to think the rule of thumb is never over 60 mph and I do not pass at over 25 m.p.h. faster than the other traffic.

try the 405 going into santa monica in rush hour. more like 30 mph and the cars are stop and go. watch lane changers you have about 4~6 feet most of the time to stay in between..

More
22 Apr 2010 15:20 #362441 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Adrenaline junkies.;) :laugh: It's all fun n games till someone opens a door on you to spill their coffee or spits out the window and catches you in the eye. lol

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
23 Apr 2010 07:44 #362580 by krazinite2003
Replied by krazinite2003 on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
ok you guys are going to have to explain to me why you need to lane split i live up in canada and we cant do it
now the first thing that comes to mind is if traffic is stoped there is a reason it has stoped am i right now if you lane split your just getting to the front just to be stopped anyway

i have two 1983 kz750 L3

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
23 Apr 2010 08:14 - 23 Apr 2010 10:08 #362588 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
expaination as follows.....our roads are mostly designed in the 60's and 70's when traffic could cruise at 70 mph and no one really got busted for it....also the population figures for smooth flows on those designs greatly under estimated the populations traveling on those same routes at rush hours in the 80's<<<90's<<<2010 ect......65,000 folks doing various speeds and not letting folks merge or give an inch creates these traffic stand stills imo.....

Fast forward to this morning: where i came to a lane merge and the typical 7:45 a.m salinas traffic heading to monterey ca to workkdays......the jam last 4-8 minutes then flows once past some merging housing tracks.....

Here comes mister goldwing chrome naked lady accents dangling off the back...wearning deck shoes and dirty white gym socks....doing 15 mph past casr doing 5 mph...no problem you say????
He was in the bicycle lane weaving along like a total idiot...bikes use this lane...fast hardcore triatholon commuter types....and here is Mr. Goldwing giving every car a perfect reason to hate motorcycles.....
One guy like this can touch more peoples attitudes in one hour than i can by driving polite for a year....
No wonder we have to have all these silly laws on the books.....what a jerk....boat shoes and frumpy socks....:blink:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 23 Apr 2010 10:08 by trianglelaguna.