Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting

• porchev914
  • User
  • Whats that? Half of my swingarm is missing?!?!?
More
18 Apr 2010 22:44 #361604 by porchev914
Replied by porchev914 on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Lane splitting is the single most mentally exhaustive things I ever do. Short of breaking some FAA regulations and trying to fly too low and beat some weather system to an airport, lane splitting requires as much if not more situational awareness than the most demanding phases of flight. It has its place and is useful when the going gets slow, but the guys that split 80 mph car traffic at 100 are asking for a ride to the morgue. To look ahead and attempt to anticipate what each car is going to (or might) do, then constitantly plan or position yourself to avoid the worst case scenarios just makes your brain tired :blink:

FRANKEN Z!
1978 KZ1000 A2A with 08'Speed Triple SSSA and '06 GSXR1000 front end

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
19 Apr 2010 02:35 - 19 Apr 2010 02:43 #361612 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
i'm invisable to all cars anyways imo...so if i get hit while lane splitting then i'm doing it wrong...when i get on a bike....whatever i choose to do is limited only by my respect for the other people on the road with me......not much by laws.......the law of common sense often is pitted against my desire to ride hard...but never i hope will my need to have fun exceed my need to respect others rights to saftey and an their own enjoyable day...........

lane splitting---traffic weaves
parking lot detours and urban assualt moves are all well within my riding skills and don't pose a safety issue for others when peformed quickly and with little drama......lane splitting does however run the risk of starteling folks and my bikes can blast other drivers with a good scary sound burst when the right conditions exist....for this i often feel a tinge of assholes remorse....but so far ,not enought o bypass the advantages of skirting a traffic jam,or creating my own path........imo

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 02:43 by trianglelaguna.

More
19 Apr 2010 06:03 #361629 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Being a local here... I would not do this except for a given time when traffic is at a complete standstill 0mph...

Outside of that...

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2010 06:13 #361633 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Yes, lane spitting is legal here in California BUT the law says it can be done when traffic is going 25 mph or slower and you cannot go more than 5 mph faster than the cars. This law was enacted so our air cooled bikes would not overheat in SoCal's famous freeway parking lots. However, I see bikes constantly splitting lanes even when traffic is going 50-70 mph. This is illegal and considered an unsafe lane change. But it is done all the time because a patrol car sure as hell can't chase you down in that traffic, can he? I've done some lane splitting and it is scary to say the least. But in bumper to bumper traffic at least you can keep moving. ;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
19 Apr 2010 06:31 #361635 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

• Kawickrice
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
19 Apr 2010 07:50 #361654 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Damn Rock you sure have little fat fingers

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
19 Apr 2010 09:04 #361666 by trianglelaguna
how could you tell...feel???

Kawickrice wrote:

Damn Rock you sure have little fat fingers

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
19 Apr 2010 09:33 #361672 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
Bluemeanie wrote:

Yes, lane spitting is legal here in California BUT the law says it can be done when traffic is going 25 mph or slower and you cannot go more than 5 mph faster than the cars. This law was enacted so our air cooled bikes would not overheat in SoCal's famous freeway parking lots. However, I see bikes constantly splitting lanes even when traffic is going 50-70 mph. This is illegal and considered an unsafe lane change. But it is done all the time because a patrol car sure as hell can't chase you down in that traffic, can he? I've done some lane splitting and it is scary to say the least. But in bumper to bumper traffic at least you can keep moving. ;)

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! This is the only time it makes sense. My brief yearly driving experiences have shown me that this law is widely abused. My family who work in the ER's tell me that most of the injuries that come in on bikes are from people who split lanes and get cut off by irate drivers. I can't verify this fact but it stands to reason after seeing bikes fly by me well over 30 miles an hour faster than I am going. That is a feeling that makes someone want to reflexively grab the wheel and change lanes immediately. I could see where some old lady has an infarction after she sharts because some knucklehead buzzes her door at ninety miles an hour and she causes a chain accident in which many people are seriously injured. California drivers make me not want to ride. If I lived there most likely I would stick to bicycles and automobiles. Nerve racking experiences of riding along the I5 just make me think that this is not a fun place to live if you love to ride motorcycles.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

• trianglelaguna
  • User
More
19 Apr 2010 10:10 - 19 Apr 2010 17:30 #361680 by trianglelaguna
most roads are terrible....I-5 being one of my least favorites......but no one puts a gun to my head and makes me drive that route.....That major roads are bad is a true fact.. but really that's only becasue people are mean to each other and self centered.....that is always and everywhere unfortunately.......but driving in california or tibet...is not the point...both places have dangerous roads and both places have great scenic lonely roads that are safe and fun....so it is everywhere.....to rate california as unsafe by using I-5 as a gauge of the whole places roads is more than not fair...it is like comparing ohio by using I-80 as an example of the entire states roads.....I-5 should not be drivin period imho....i hate being on I-5 even in my cars ...but if your in the right mindset it is a gas kinda...but splitting lanes on the short section of Highway 0ne from say carmel to san fransico is way doable and if done at about 10-20 m.p.h ,not tooooo - anti social ,or on purpose scaring drivers type stuff...it rarely goes into three lane sections,and when it does ,or you do hit a commuters clog...it is only about a mile long section of clog and then clear road and away you go.......... wether to lane split on I-5 or on highway one is where natural selection may come into play and prevail......TT

b]saxjonz wrote:[/b]

Bluemeanie wrote:

EXACTLY MY POINT!!! This is the only time it makes sense. My brief yearly driving experiences have shown me that this law is widely abused. My family who work in the ER's tell me that most of the injuries that come in on bikes are from people who split lanes and get cut off by irate drivers. I can't verify this fact but it stands to reason after seeing bikes fly by me well over 30 miles an hour faster than I am going. That is a feeling that makes someone want to reflexively grab the wheel and change lanes immediately. I could see where some old lady has an infarction after she sharts because some knucklehead buzzes her door at ninety miles an hour and she causes a chain accident in which many people are seriously injured. California drivers make me not want to ride. If I lived there most likely I would stick to bicycles and automobiles. Nerve racking experiences of riding along the I5 just make me think that this is not a fun place to live if you love to ride motorcycles.

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 19 Apr 2010 17:30 by trianglelaguna.

More
19 Apr 2010 10:46 #361689 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:

More
19 Apr 2010 11:00 #361691 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
I live in So Cal and lane share/split EVERY day and have done so on I-5 many times. I try to keep my speed down and I move over for faster bikes and let them go as fast as they want. It is HARD on your brain but I think that's good for you to challenge yourself now and then. I've been doing it for 30+ years and find some people try and cut you off but they have to readjust their mirror after I move it for them. More people move over to let you go.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

• hardr0ck68
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
19 Apr 2010 13:47 #361727 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic Arizona to Legalize Lane Splitting
If you want to, and you have the skill and the sack, why not lane split? Any crash between a bike and a car is a bad day for the bike, and every motorcyclist knows that...

Must we say no to everything people find fun in this country to protect its citizens from themselves?

I have split lanes since I started riding on the road... legal or not I enjoy it and accept the consequences of me actions weather it be a funeral or a fine. Such is life.

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.