The Z1 will roll again!

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
15 Oct 2009 18:53 #327780 by savedrider
The Z1 will roll again! was created by savedrider
Hey all, been a long time. I'm finally getting around to doing some much needed maintenance so I can get my Z1 back on the road. She has been parked for about 2 years or so because I finished another project (VFR 700) and have been riding that in the meantime.

Anyhow, I'm putting on a new rear tire, chain & sprockets, touching up paint here and there, cleaning, etc. I can't wait to hear her run again as there is nothing like an old Z1/KZ! I'm hoping she fires right up, since I didn't drain the carbs or use a fuel stabilizer (shame on me). To be honest I didn't think it would be parked so long and time just snuck right up. I did keep the battery on a tender and maintained the water level so I'm good there.

There were a few unfinished items that maybe I'll get around to now depending on time and money. Rear fender eliminator, Pingel petcock, new paint, maybe (big maybe) an aluminum swingarm, etc.

Well that's it. Just wanted to check in and give a status report on the old beast. Once I get everything back together I'll try to post some current pics.

Thanks,

Roland

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Oct 2009 19:12 #327782 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic The Z1 will roll again!
Good luck. I've been wondering about you. Hope all goes easy for you.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
15 Oct 2009 23:41 #327812 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic The Z1 will roll again!
Welcome back Roland...when that Z1 fires...it'll be like the honeymoon all over. Dump that old fuel...and I suspect you'll have to re-clean your carbs :(

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• savedrider
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1975 Z1-B 900
More
26 Oct 2009 13:11 #329750 by savedrider
Replied by savedrider on topic The Z1 will roll again!
Well I just wanted to give an update. I got the Z1 back on the road, but unfortunately I did need to clean the carbs like Mcdroid said.

Before I cleaned the carbs I fired the bike up and it started, but would not idle and was only running on 2 cylinders. I knew it was carb related so I yanked the rack real quick and found molasses colored sludge inside. After a thorough tear down, cleaning and resetting of float levels she fired up immediately and ran smooth as ever!

I've changed the oil and started a general cleaning, but still have quite a ways to go with the cleaning.

Here are some recent pics I took, enjoy!

Get right or get left! <*{{{><

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
26 Oct 2009 14:23 #329756 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic The Z1 will roll again!
Why you put this project on the back burner for two years to work on the VFR 700 is beyond me....... The cleaning and detailing sucks but well worth it when you are finished. Great looking bike you got there

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL