A touching story

• chance
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Life long biker/
More
12 Oct 2009 06:05 #327006 by chance
A touching story was created by chance
Just wanted to share a touching story this is from WGs forum...
Hi all, new member here.

Thank you to the forum owner for granting my membership here.

My story should bring a smile.

In mid 1976, I was but 20 years old and still living at home with mom and dad. I was having a bad time finding work, was more or less a deadbeat kid, but I managed to put enough cash together to buy a shiny brand new Diamond Brown A-4. I only rode it about 3 months before my dad, frustrated with my irresponsible behavior, and awaiting a repayment of several cash loans which I blew off repaying, took my A-4 saying he planned to sell it to recoup the debt. I went nuts! I left home never to return.

Jump forward to 2 years ago when dad passed away. He was a great guy and he taught me alot albeit I didn't get a grasp on much of it till after leaving home.

Ok so 3 months ago we settled his estate among remaining family members and some things were sent to me. We also agreed to clean out a shop that once housed his business. It was 2400 miles away so I went a day early. I hadn't set foot in there in well over 35 years. He made me work when I went there so I stayed away.

Guess what was sitting in a corner, crated in a large sealed plywood container, (it's original shipping crate) covered with a tarp? My A-4!! I fell to my knees and cried for 20 minutes.

The bike is now home with me and it still has the same 290 miles on it, right as it was the last day I rode it, when he put it there.

I have a lot of work ahead, but the 1976 KZ-900 is home and back in my possession. It is a Japan built KZ 900 with a very very low serial number, which likely puts it in the first day or two of production in Japan that year. :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Oct 2009 06:20 #327007 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic A touching story
Wow..... What a story! I can't even imagine how the guy feels. On a lighter note..... damn!, 290 miles!? What a score! I know the bike has huge sentimental value but but would bring huge money! Good story...

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• chance
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Life long biker/
More
12 Oct 2009 07:15 #327015 by chance
Replied by chance on topic A touching story
Yeah Man I just had to share it.Ride Safe

More
12 Oct 2009 08:06 #327023 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic A touching story
cool ! B) B) B) B) B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• MentalMike
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
12 Oct 2009 08:35 #327033 by MentalMike
Replied by MentalMike on topic A touching story
There's a lesson in there somewhere...

As for the bike, I'd pass it along to my kid when the time came, along with the story! B)

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 GPZ (2)
1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
2013 Kawasaki C14 Concours

More
12 Oct 2009 09:23 #327036 by avidflyguy
Replied by avidflyguy on topic A touching story
that is really something to hear about, i think i speak for most people here and we would love to see some pics of the bike

More
12 Oct 2009 09:41 #327043 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic A touching story
I'd bury it next to my dad!

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4

More
12 Oct 2009 09:42 #327044 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic A touching story
Dad taught you a lesson then and again today. I'm sorry you can't get your dad back but you have the memories and lessons and to be sure I bet he kept seeing that crate and knew you would someday be united with your bike and in part with him. I know there are a lotta bad dads out there but I like to think that is a small minority compared to the good and great ones. Great story and congrats on a great bike and a great dad. ;)

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

• chance
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Life long biker/
More
12 Oct 2009 10:59 #327060 by chance
Pic will be coming

• chance
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Life long biker/
More
12 Oct 2009 11:16 #327065 by chance
The rest of the story
A little more on the A-4 condition as I took it out of the crate.

This thing sat for 33 years inside a building, inside a wooden plywood crate, under a tarp. The battery was removed apparently the day he got it to his shop because the bike has no miles on it since storage in mid 1976. The seat is also just a frame, and it appears the thing was eaten. Wiring is also useless for the same reason as the seat.

The engine is frozen apparently due to rusted cyl walls.

The bike, while a 290 mile original is in bad shape. It will take a lot of work and money to restore. But it is all still there, entirely unmolested, chopped, or parted out, completely intact, right down to the tools, books, and decals.

I can bring her back. And I will, and this A-4 will become a spectacular example of an original bike complete with the original shipping container it came from Japan in. Interestingly, I took some formula 2000 polish and the tank looks like its brand new and there isn't any rust in it. He had drained it and apparently it didn't get any air in it all these years bec it looks new.

It will require a complete frame up resto to make it look like it did in 1976, but this bike represents a turning point for me from that of an irresponsible kid of 20 to where I am today, which is a responsible, successful adult.

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
13 Oct 2009 07:04 #327261 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic A touching story
Tommotbird wrote:

I'd bury it next to my dad!

Reminds me of the Stevie Ray Vaughan song.....Willie the wimp in his Cadillac coffin.............Great story

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
13 Oct 2009 11:43 - 13 Oct 2009 11:49 #327336 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic A touching story
Cool story and let's see some pics of the resto as you go through the process. Stories like this always remind me of my Dad- " Kids should leave home while they still know EVERYTHING "

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B
Last edit: 13 Oct 2009 11:49 by Jack.