Anybody?

More
13 Sep 2009 20:50 #321478 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Anybody?
MCN tested some balance beads a few years ago and came to the conclusion that they were a waste of time and money.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Sep 2009 15:46 #321642 by chance
Replied by chance on topic Anybody?
Locozuna wrote:

KZCSI wrote:

Hell if they were any good Billy Mays woulda been hawking them for years already.

Bill

:whistle: :whistle:

Poor billy Mays RIP Damm that Sham Wow man killed him dead..

More
14 Sep 2009 18:40 #321685 by flht1997
Replied by flht1997 on topic Anybody?
Airsoft bb's do the same thing but alot cheaper. i run them in my jeep with 35's they work very well. would not really bother with them on a bike. i put them in the jeep cause they were coming up 6-7 oz. out of balance and didn't want all the weights on the rim.

Matt Milwaukee, WI
75' KZ400, (5) 78' KZ400, 76' KZ 750, 78' KZ650
78'CB750F, 78' CB550K
89' BMW R100RT
05' H-D Electra Glide
06' KLR650
Do it right or don't bother doing it at all.

More
16 Sep 2009 10:27 #321993 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Anybody?
Let’s see how this works: Regular BB’s or “non-magic” beads would follow the laws of physics. At rest, gravity will pull them to the bottom of the tire regardless of which part of the tire is lightest. When the tire starts rolling, inertia will cause the beads to try to stay at rest, but friction and centrifugal force will cause the beads to move around inside the tire. If the tire rotates long enough at a constant speed, eventually the beads will be traveling the same speed as the tire and therefore be stationary relative to the tire itself. They will not, however, be distributed within the tire in such a fashion as to compensate for light of heavy spots in the tire. Also, every time the tire speeds up or slows down, such as when braking or accelerating, the beads will change position within the tire as a result of momentum and inertia.

Magic beads, however, are not constrained by the laws of physics. Each bead has a tiny brain that tells it where the light spot on the tire is and each has tiny, nearly invisible, claws which enable the bead to craw to the light spot and hold on even when the tire is accelerating or braking. Obviously, the brains and claws are the reason the magic beads cost more than ordinary, dumb clawless BB’s.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Sep 2009 14:09 #322026 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Anybody?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Yes, but as their tiny brains are very delicate, even magic beads will suffocate from stale air if not regularly flushed. B)

Might want do a search for the excellent recent thread on art of tire air changes. ;)

A brain is a terrible thing. :cheer:

Good Luck! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
16 Sep 2009 15:51 #322041 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Anybody?
Kind of along the lines of what Ed said. These are not simply beads, they have been programmed to pick the area of tire that needs balanced and flock there in exactly the correct number and stay there. Yes they will adhere to the inner of the tire permenantly. Each one has been programmed individually in China before being packaged.:)
I think it's hogwash too and have said so many times on the goldwing newsgroup. There are dozens of guys there that swear by them though. Some get double the mileage out of their tires, some eliminate the cupping inherant with a 900Lb goldwing, some simply claim a smoother ride. I still claim bull myself.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
16 Sep 2009 18:56 #322076 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Anybody?
Just released

Microscopic view of intelligent clawed Dyna Ball searching tire for high spot.

:huh: :blink: :huh: :whistle: :pinch:

I had to.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
16 Sep 2009 19:11 #322077 by kzr750r1
Replied by kzr750r1 on topic Anybody?
LMFAO... You guys are ruthless.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

More
16 Sep 2009 19:12 #322078 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Anybody?
Thanks for the actual unretouched photo of one. That's exactly as I had envisioned them. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)