Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?

More
17 Aug 2009 02:00 #314522 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
nice survivor use a bit of elbow grease and leave it the way it is small touch ups would be okay but it always seems like the survivors are worth more than the over restored.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Aug 2009 17:14 #314648 by flhwesty
Replied by flhwesty on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
Clean and polish it. It can only be stock once, but can be restored several times.

1983 GPZ750
1977 KZ1000LTD
1978 Z1R
1981 GPz1100 KZ1100-B1

More
18 Aug 2009 10:45 #314819 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
Properly restored (read "not over restored)that bike would be worth top dollar these days.

I love it btw!

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
18 Aug 2009 11:10 - 18 Aug 2009 11:36 #314828 by Russ Jackson
Replied by Russ Jackson on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
1st Get rid of that green color!

2nd make a Bobber out of it.

Clean it up as much as possible for it can only be original once. With the low miles and low Vin# you will never loose.
...Russ

Here is a Z1900 with about the same milege unrestored.

1976 KZ 900 B1 29 smoothbores, Kerker, Lester Mags
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 abs
Last edit: 18 Aug 2009 11:36 by Russ Jackson.

More
20 Aug 2009 12:32 #315274 by Rex Lawson
Replied by Rex Lawson on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
harm wrote:

For me it would depend on what i was going to do with it,

If i was going use it as a show piece i would restore it and probably never drive it. That would be hard for me to do but would be the best way to preserve it.

If i planned on riding it some i would clean it fix it and touch it some and drive it once in a while.

Anyway that's the way i would look at it...

VERY cool bike by the way!

Thanks!

It'll never be ridden much. Wrecking #8 or having something stupid happen to it would be a crime.

I'll probably start it and ride it around the block a few times a year. Who knows, I may want to ride it a bit someday.

Kawickrice wrote:

Being a proud Z1 owner for a few decades I could love that bike with equal affection. Great Score and welcome to the madness.

Thank you!

Ex Tampa Bay Resident for 32 years, myself.

650ed wrote:

Nice bike! You may want to try contacting the VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) to see if they can provide a list of shops that do restorations. Your bike definitely deserves the best, so no matter who you have do the work be sure to check their previous customers to see how their bikes turned out. Ed

Thanks!

Very good info. The bike does deserve the best!

mzandmz wrote:

I see in your pictures above its found a new home.:laugh: Dont worry, there potty trained.:laugh: :laugh: And it looks like it took over you dining room. Best place for it.:woohoo:

That's her home for now. The wife doesn't mind.:)

donthekawguy wrote:

I would clean it up and ride for a few years, save up the cash or collect parts that might need replaced and then have it restored. At least that way you would get some ride time in before it finds a permenant spot in the living room. :laugh: I know what shop your talking about in Seattle but can't think of the name. I'll check in with pnwriders.com tonight, someone there will know who it is.

That's probably what I'll do, not sure about the ride part

I'd appreciate if you could find out the name of the shop. I remember seeing a beautifully restored 78 Z1-R on eBay 2 or 3 years ago that they did.

timebomb33 wrote:

nice survivor use a bit of elbow grease and leave it the way it is small touch ups would be okay but it always seems like the survivors are worth more than the over restored.

Thank you! I agree, the survivors are always worth more.

flhwesty wrote:

Clean and polish it. It can only be stock once, but can be restored several times.

Very true!

TerryK wrote:

Properly restored (read "not over restored)that bike would be worth top dollar these days.

I love it btw!

Thank you!

Russ Jackson wrote:

1st Get rid of that green color!

2nd make a Bobber out of it.

Clean it up as much as possible for it can only be original once. With the low miles and low Vin# you will never loose.
...Russ

Here is a Z1900 with about the same milege unrestored.

How about do both.

www.custom-choppers-guide.com/kawasaki-kz-1000-r.html

You're right, that's why it will stay in my living room!

Here's some more green for you.

82 ELR #000008
81 GPz550
78 Z1-R