Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?

More
16 Aug 2009 14:54 #314360 by Rex Lawson
Restore this KZ, or leave it alone? was created by Rex Lawson
Hello all, I'm trying to decide if I want to restore my ELR, or just leave it as is. I haven't touched it since I got it in May. I personally, would like to have it look like she just left the crate.

If I was to restore it, who are the names in the Kawasaki restoration biz that I should know?

82 ELR #000008
81 GPz550
78 Z1-R

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
16 Aug 2009 15:13 - 16 Aug 2009 15:37 #314364 by kano
Replied by kano on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
restore it bro!
fix up the paintwork,
give it some love,
keep it stock,
and your never loose your money.
number 8 is very special!
Last edit: 16 Aug 2009 15:37 by kano.

More
16 Aug 2009 15:16 #314368 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
nice ride!!!! unmolested bikes are always worth more...that bike is low miles and in pretty good shape all in all.....get out the wd40 and the mothers and some micro fiber cleaning rags and go to town......a lot of that will come clean with some elbow grease.....

More
16 Aug 2009 15:21 #314372 by austin3119
Replied by austin3119 on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
The main persons name to know if you restore it is your own :) If you want to just drop it off somewhere and pick it up when your done, you may want to try Redline as their bikes always seem to turn out nice. redlinecycle.com/

Awesome bike by the way!

More
16 Aug 2009 16:19 - 16 Aug 2009 16:22 #314419 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
Keep it stock,You can allways get another toy thats not in as good shape and make it the way you thought about. That means your "gut" feeling all ready gave you the answer.If you have to ask then you know, what it is now, and has been sence it was made,thats the way it should be.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD
Last edit: 16 Aug 2009 16:22 by mzandmz.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
16 Aug 2009 16:34 #314425 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
good for you!!!! i saw that sale and watched it with envy....no funds here for "my" elr ...someday i'm getting one.......good for you..

take your time it is a project you can tackle and you can know you did the work too.....guys here can answer anything...anything , as far as the next right step..and what materials.chems,paints,parts ect...

looks fine to me -and may actualy be worth more to some of the crowd,the way it is... but if you boughtthe thing to have it,to keep it,to love and to honor it,,,,i get carried away....then do whatever you think ......either way you got "the" bike.....i don't know these things......awesome bike dude....best bike ever made...you the man!!!!

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
16 Aug 2009 17:04 #314435 by Rex Lawson
Replied by Rex Lawson on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
kano wrote:

restore it bro!
fix up the paintwork,
give it some love,
keep it stock,
and your never loose your money.
number 8 is very special!

It'll always stay stock, unsure if it will ever be restored.

keith1 wrote:

nice ride!!!! unmolested bikes are always worth more...that bike is low miles and in pretty good shape all in all.....get out the wd40 and the mothers and some micro fiber cleaning rags and go to town......a lot of that will come clean with some elbow grease.....

Thanks, Bro!

I'll definitely give her some elbow grease, first. Some parts do need refinishing, especially the engine cases.

austin3119 wrote:

The main persons name to know if you restore it is your own :) If you want to just drop it off somewhere and pick it up when your done, you may want to try Redline as their bikes always seem to turn out nice. redlinecycle.com/

Awesome bike by the way!

I agree with your fist sentence! Redline looks like they do some nice work, appreciate the link.

I've seen a shop in the NW, I think it's in Seattle, that does nice work on Kawasakis. Hoping someone knows the name.

Thank you for the complement!

mzandmz wrote:

Keep it stock,You can allways get another toy thats not in as good shape and make it the way you thought about. That means your "gut" feeling all ready gave you the answer.If you have to ask then you know, what it is now, and has been sence it was made,thats the way it should be.

I like that post!

What do you think of using NOS,(If you can find any.) or nice used parts as replacements?

trianglelaguna wrote:

good for you!!!! i saw that sale and watched it with envy....no funds here for "my" elr ...someday i'm getting one.......good for you..

take your time it is a project you can tackle and you can know you did the work too.....guys here can answer anything...anything , as far as the next right step..and what materials.chems,paints,parts ect...

looks fine to me -and may actualy be worth more to some of the crowd,the way it is... but if you boughtthe thing to have it,to keep it,to love and to honor it,,,,i get carried away....then do whatever you think ......either way you got "the" bike.....i don't know these things......awesome bike dude....best bike ever made...you the man!!!!

You may possibly have my bike mistaken with #13. It sold on eBay a few months ago. I found mine on a Craigslist add. I was the lucky first caller ready to hook up the enclosed trailer and drive 800 miles. Thank you for the kind words!

I knew this was the place, that's why I'm here.:)

I know it's worth more the way it is. You are also correct that I purchased it to love, honer...:laugh: I feel the same way. I also feel as a "caretaker" to her. It's a historic bike and I'd like for her to be here long after I'm gone. Thank you again. I do understand how lucky I am to have this bike, and it's significance.

82 ELR #000008
81 GPz550
78 Z1-R

More
16 Aug 2009 18:22 #314441 by harm
Replied by harm on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
For me it would depend on what i was going to do with it,

If i was going use it as a show piece i would restore it and probably never drive it. That would be hard for me to do but would be the best way to preserve it.

If i planned on riding it some i would clean it fix it and touch it some and drive it once in a while.

Anyway that's the way i would look at it...

VERY cool bike by the way!

Tom
Holland, MI

1980 KZ550 ELR

2011 Concours14

2017 KX450 [/color]

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
16 Aug 2009 18:54 #314445 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
Being a proud Z1 owner for a few decades I could love that bike with equal affection. Great Score and welcome to the madness.

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
16 Aug 2009 19:03 #314449 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
Nice bike! You may want to try contacting the VJMC (Vintage Japanese Motorcycle Club) to see if they can provide a list of shops that do restorations. Your bike definitely deserves the best, so no matter who you have do the work be sure to check their previous customers to see how their bikes turned out. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
16 Aug 2009 19:12 #314454 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
I see in your pictures above its found a new home.:laugh: Dont worry, there potty trained.:laugh: :laugh: And it looks like it took over you dining room. Best place for it.:woohoo:

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD

More
17 Aug 2009 01:02 #314520 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Restore this KZ, or leave it alone?
I would clean it up and ride for a few years, save up the cash or collect parts that might need replaced and then have it restored. At least that way you would get some ride time in before it finds a permenant spot in the living room. :laugh: I know what shop your talking about in Seattle but can't think of the name. I'll check in with pnwriders.com tonight, someone there will know who it is.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125