Goin to the dragstrip

• likes2gofast2009
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Aug 2009 10:52 #312947 by likes2gofast2009
Goin to the dragstrip was created by likes2gofast2009
Taking my 1980 KZ1000 LTD to our local drag way. I have progressive rear shocks, what would be a better setting for launching, softer or stiffer?

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Aug 2009 17:09 #312996 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Goin to the dragstrip
Softer. It will let the suspension "squat" and give the tire time to plant and grab the track before all that abusive power starts trying to rip the track apart! LOL Seriously...put the shocks on the soft side for the above reason. You can use struts with a slick because the slicks sidewall will flex and allow tire to grab the track where the street tire sidewall is too stiff for this to happen. I've done it both ways and it does help to set up soft. Just have to try different settings to see if it helps or not. Depending on the tire you are using, you will need to lower tire pressure also. I found about 15 psi works with my tires. New sport bike tires get by with more pressure but they are completely different animals. It's a trial and error deal. Mainly, be safe and race within your capabilites. Don't worry about what anyone else is doing or running. Everybody has different skill levels, riding abilities and equipment. Race your race! Most of all, have fun. Let us know how you did. Keep track of what tire pressure you use, shock setting, and whatever else you think of so you will know what works and what doesn't next time. Yes...once you do it, there will be a next time!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
10 Aug 2009 18:35 #313011 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Goin to the dragstrip
what he said! leave the frontend in stock location if youre taking it to the track with the rear end squated down a little it will add a little more rake to frontend to help stability at topend of track B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• likes2gofast2009
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Aug 2009 18:53 #313019 by likes2gofast2009
Replied by likes2gofast2009 on topic Goin to the dragstrip
Sweet! Thanks guys, I figured it was the same as cars, you want good weight transfer... Ill let everyone know how it goes and hopefully post some vids up!

1980 KZ1000 LTD "Brandi"
4-1 Kerker
Dyna Coils
More to come this winter!

More
10 Aug 2009 19:01 #313021 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Goin to the dragstrip
good luck....but I will tell you now...its a friggin' sickness...it will turn you into a broke ,divorced,demon rebel gear head extrordinaire....and thats just for starters....just wait till it all goes right and you make a really good pass!
then you start talking about running a 9...then an 8... and ah well I'm sure you get the picture.
welcome to the club ;-)

More
10 Aug 2009 19:03 #313022 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Goin to the dragstrip
I see a few guys have been there before!:laugh:

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
10 Aug 2009 19:15 #313027 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Goin to the dragstrip
just got back....twisted the crank on the nitrous bike....$$....but what the hell else we gonna spend our money on?

• 550A2
  • User
  • keep the shiny side up
More
10 Aug 2009 20:46 #313044 by 550A2
Replied by 550A2 on topic Goin to the dragstrip
Never been to the strip before but hell....

KICK SOME HARLEY ASS!!!!!!!!!!!!
and be safe!

82 Honda ATC 200-sold
82 Yamaha Virago 920-sold
82 Yamaha YZ250j-kept
80 Suzuki GS 550-sold
82 Kawasaki KZ550 A2-ride all the time
79 Kawasaki KZ650 C-sold
73 Kawasaki Z1 900E-paid $200, sold $6000
86 Yamaha Radian YX600-new project

More
10 Aug 2009 20:55 #313045 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic Goin to the dragstrip
irishwill wrote:

good luck....but I will tell you now...its a friggin' sickness...it will turn you into a broke ,divorced,demon rebel gear head extrordinaire....and thats just for starters....just wait till it all goes right and you make a really good pass!
then you start talking about running a 9...then an 8... and ah well I'm sure you get the picture.
welcome to the club ;-)

lol, no, really?? :P

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
12 Aug 2009 10:07 #313378 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Goin to the dragstrip
Since we are on the subject, I would really like to see what my 1000 can do too, but am paranoid of the fuzz so plan on going to the track as well. As I have never been I have some other newb questions, very newb questions.

With a RWD car doing a burn out is easy, how on a bike would I burnout...do you just hold the brake and adjust gas with your thumb?

Also, my bike redlines at 8500, would I just go through the gears revving up to 8000 for each, or would I skip out of first early like at maybe 7000, or is this something that I will find from experience.

More
12 Aug 2009 12:22 #313402 by Jack
Replied by Jack on topic Goin to the dragstrip
On your burnout question- roll around the water box so as to keep the front tire dry,put the rear tire into the water and give it a short hit of gas.Pull forward out of the wettest part of the water box,pull on the front brake and roll/snap the throttle open. It's harder than it sounds and can be intimidating for newcomers but you'll quickly find out it's not really that tough.. As soon as you see smoke,let the brake off and ease out of the throttle taking care not jump on the front brake - good way to wash out and spoil your day ! Most street bikes just need a short burnout to clean/heat the tire - after that you're impressing the crowd and wasting rubber imho.

Go to your local track on a test/tune night where there is no real racing and no pressure.Most of the bike guys are very approachable and willing to help a "newbe"- don't be afraid to ask questions. We all had to start somewhere,although I will agree the addiction is deadly - started out going to grudge nights in 1974 on my Z1 streetbike, have raced since 1979 and now crew on a world class TF bike. Ya, Im hooked...

79 KZ 1075 MKll
79 KZ 1500 MKll dragbike
Gone but not forgotten:
3 X 73 Z1's
1 X 74 Z1A
1 X 75 Z1B

More
12 Aug 2009 12:22 #313403 by mzandmz
Replied by mzandmz on topic Goin to the dragstrip
If you got a Wife,Thats where it will go.

New to Family, 1979 KZ440 LTD