Got home by the hair of my clutch cable

More
02 Nov 2009 15:25 #331161 by gane
Replied by gane on topic Got home by the hair of my clutch cable
Quick tips, A spare cable will also fit in most h/l shells, tho more convienient if already routed along original. And.while riding clutchless is awquard, can be accomplished w/finesse.. starting from dead stop is probly biggest challenge, I found a couple of months back, that by shiffting to 1st and using elect starter it was possible to start/start-off without resorting to extreem antics. luck G

[img][/img] 1977 KZ1000A1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Nov 2009 17:47 #331194 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Got home by the hair of my clutch cable
just dont use your clutch,theyll lastmuch longer! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
02 Nov 2009 18:43 #331212 by roy-b-boy-b
Replied by roy-b-boy-b on topic Got home by the hair of my clutch cable
PLUMMEN wrote:

just dont use your clutch,theyll lastmuch longer! :laugh:

Good advice.

I was riding with a group on a long ride and my clutch cable broke. I always remove the safety switch on my bikes and i just hit the starter in first gear and rode on.

No one knew my cable was broke until we got home. Roy

1979 LTD Street Fighter.1977 KZ1000

More
03 Nov 2009 07:58 #331272 by soccerd31
Replied by soccerd31 on topic Got home by the hair of my clutch cable
i've been SOOOOO lucky with the clutch cable i broke AND with the throtle cable i broke!!!... never thought anything about it... never thought i'd have to worry about something like that.... but... my clutch cable actually broke only TWO blocks from my house when i was in second gear.... rolled a fewstop signs on the way back and even made it all the way up the drive without stopping... i woulda been in trouble had i been a few more blocks (with a stop light).... after i fixed that... and started carrying a spare.... i'm thinkin... "ok.. the worst is over... wont have any more cable problems this year" and 3 months later... on my ride home from work... (still in the parking lot)... my throtle just started to jiggle..... and... then it was completely free.... MY THROTLE CABLE BROKE!!!.... being the genious i am.. and since i was only riding in town.... i cranked my idle up to about 5000 and pretty much coasted home... i had to shift fast though... if i had to squeeze the clutch my engine would run... but... i rode 40 all the way home... not bad... but... sucked... and... i now have a spare throtle cable with my spare clutch cable..... and OF COURSE i have my tool kit... god i woulda been stranded a few times if i didn't have my tools... but... its all part of it.... of course it would be great to NOT have any of these problems... but lets face it... my bike is an 81... i was born in 82.... so the hunk of metal is OLDER than i am.... and sometimes i feel broken and worn down... it makes sense....

lesson learned.... CARRY SPARE CABLES!!! especially on trips...

1981 KZ750 LTD H2

More
03 Nov 2009 10:02 #331293 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Got home by the hair of my clutch cable
Clutch is not important unless you're on 10% upgrades with a passenger. Just put it in neutral while slowing down to stop, then paddle to a start and shift into first and shift clutchless. Not hard to do. I never worry about clutch cables, just ride till they break. No reason for a clutch cable to ever strand you in other words.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
03 Nov 2009 11:25 #331299 by Tommotbird
Replied by Tommotbird on topic Got home by the hair of my clutch cable
I just flick mine into automatic! Problem solved.

Triumph Thunderbird Sport
Triumph Legend
Lambretta SX150
Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1981 KZ650CSR HI
KZ1100 A2 x 4
Z1 Classic
KZ1000 LTD K1 1981
KZ750 LTD H2 x 4