Counterfeit Parts

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
14 Jul 2009 05:32 #306914 by Jeff.Saunders
Counterfeit Parts was created by Jeff.Saunders
Here's an article that was on the dealer news web site.

Related to this, I was talking to a rep for one of the companies, and he mentioned Vesrah being one of the companies impacted by 'knock-off' products. Dynojet was also impacted by this too - I don't know if it's still an issue, but a few years ago there were a slew of bogus jet kits appearing on ebay.

While motorcycle dealers who purchase vehicles, parts, garments and accessories from licensed brand representatives are largely protected from the trade in counterfeit goods, the growing trend of Internet purchasing by consumers gives criminal enterprises a lucrative outlet for the sale of pirated goods.

A new European Commission report shows that seizures of counterfeit goods smuggled into the European Union (E.U.) in 2008 more than doubled the seizures of 2007.

The European Commission says customs authorities across the 27 E.U. member states seized 178 million fake items in 2008, up 125 percent from 79 million in 2007. China remained the main source of counterfeit goods coming into the E.U., accounting for 54 percent of the total in 2008.

Although pirated DVDs, CDs and cigarettes were the most prevalent fake goods seized in Europe, the global motorcycle industry is no stranger to the problem.

The Federation of Asian Motorcycle Industries (FAMI) estimates that 5 percent to 7 percent of all motorcycle spare parts traded on the open market in its member states are counterfeit, and that 94 percent of those fake items were manufactured in Asian nations.

FAMI's membership consists of seven motorcycle industry associations in Asia, including ASIS (Indonesia), MASAAM (Malaysia), MDPPA (the Philippines), SMCTA (Singapore), TAIA (Thailand), TTVMA (Taiwan) and JAMA (Japan). FAMI is a member of the International Motorcycle Manufacturers Association (IMMA), an organization also including motorcycle industry associations from the United States, Europe, India, Australia and Canada.

FAMI says it has aimed to stamp out intellectual property rights violations by combining a task force, greater law enforcement efforts and a multinational marketing campaign designed to educate consumers in each country. The organization created an Intellectual Property Rights Task Force five years ago in response to observations that the greatest number of motorcycle-related knockoff products come from the nations represented by its members.

In June 2008, the Japan Automobile Manufacturers Association (JAMA), a body representing the interests of Japan's four main motorcycle manufacturers, created a committee to focus on intellectual property rights. The committee's purpose is to create measures to help combat vehicle design imitation and the proliferation of counterfeit parts, create agreements/treaties banning the proliferation of counterfeit parts and imitation products, and promote international cooperation concerning global patent rights through partnerships in the U.S., Europe, China and South Korea.

The U.S. this year placed 12 countries on a "Priority Watch" list concerning inadequacies in intellectual property rights enforcement and protection. The countries on the list include China, Russia, Algeria, Argentina, Canada, Chile, India, Indonesia, Israel, Pakistan, Thailand and Venezuela.

"As U.S. right holders, businesses and workers suffer losses from international piracy, counterfeiting, and other forms of IPR theft," says United States Trade Representative Ron Kirk. "In this time of economic uncertainty, we need to redouble our efforts to work with all of our trading partners — even our closest allies and neighbors such as Canada — to enhance protection and enforcement of intellectual property rights in the context of a rules-based trading system."

The Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development estimates that global trade in fake products is worth about $200 billion

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Mcdroid
  • Away
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
14 Jul 2009 06:42 #306925 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Counterfeit Parts
Informative post, thanks. This suggests that we might be seeing more motorcycle related stuff on eBay that might be counterfeit. Caveat Emptor.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
14 Jul 2009 07:54 #306933 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Counterfeit Parts
Ahhh, one of the many "benefits" of using off-shore labor. I know about a certaing musical instrument manufacturer who contracted with a Chinese factory to produce the parts for his patented instruments. Once in production, the Chinese factory was perfectly happy to build the instruments with any company's name stamped on them. Uniformed customers had no idea that the knock-offs were assembled and set up with much less care and expertise. The patent holder had no legal recourse since there are no IPR laws in China.:angry:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
14 Jul 2009 08:05 #306935 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Counterfeit Parts
I can understand why most of the countries included on the "Priority Watch" list are there since they all have a noteable history of shady doings, but Canada??? :huh: :blink:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
14 Jul 2009 08:40 #306945 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Counterfeit Parts
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

I can understand why most of the countries included on the "Priority Watch" list are there since they all have a noteable history of shady doings, but Canada??? :huh: :blink:

It's that damn conterfeit beer - Molsons selling their castoffs as Budweiser...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
14 Jul 2009 09:22 #306954 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Counterfeit Parts
I know someone who works in trade-mark enforcement for H-D. It is a huge business, and one that a lot of trademark holders ignore because of the cost of enforcement. H-D, however, along with some other "big name" companies (Rolls-Royce for example) will go after anybody they find who is using their logo without permission.

Note that often the trademark goes beyond the entire logo - H-D will go after folks who use the "shield and bar" design even if it has no reference to H-D at all!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
14 Jul 2009 16:41 #307043 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Counterfeit Parts
A number of people dislike the term "Intellectual Property Rights" as they believe it confuses and muddies the definition of specific legal terms and the frameworks of Patents, Copyrights, and Trademarks. There is little overlap between the three and each has a different basis in law and a different method of enforcement. I'm no expert, I just know that there are those who warn against the use of IPR as a generic term as some people oppose certain patents but that does not mean they also oppose copyrights and trademarks but someone will twist that as opposing IPR in total which they really don't.

As for bike parts, substandard parts are annoying at best and life threatening at worst. Therefore, I pledge to support established supplies such as Jeff. :)

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
18 Dec 2014 21:42 #656393 by CandanceBellis
Replied by CandanceBellis on topic Counterfeit Parts
Phony items spread in every corner, if you don’t know how to check the branded from the fake one, you’ve got deceived. There are some anti-piracy activists and the Department of Homeland Security that are starting to monitor and traffic those who transport bogus goods. In the future, those who do so could face fees and maybe even jail time. Article source: Consumers next target of anti-counterfeit crusaders?

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Dec 2014 06:02 #656406 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Counterfeit Parts

Jeff.Saunders wrote: RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

It's that damn conterfeit beer - Molsons selling their castoffs as Budweiser...

No wonder butt wiper gives me a bubbly feeling in my head and pisses me off.
Instant ass hole; just add Bud.

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
More
19 Dec 2014 06:48 #656412 by SWest
Replied by SWest on topic Counterfeit Parts
I put up a thread about Chinese motorcycle chains sold on eBay. Yes they are dangerous and of inferior in quality but what is more troubling is the fact you can't complain to the seller after you have a problem. Blocked. On the seller discussion boards there's more and more complaints about Chinese goods being sold and being given preferential treatment over the local sellers. I posted a complaint about this and it was taken down. On another topic I was talking about shill buyers and the fact there are some sellers that out bid then list at ten times the price and how to out wit them. I WAS DOG PILED by some I suspect employees, ridiculing me for even talking about it. I was hearkened as to being a Communist and being a bad sport by whining about not getting my way. What I was doing was pointing out a way to make the crook think I wanted the item in question while watching another, making small bids on it and when the other was about to expire buying the other one instead. It was fun watching the fight that ensued. What bothered me was only about 10% was on my side. I have been both a buyer and seller there and have been burned both ways.

BTW, the items I had bid and lost on are still for sale at the ridicules prices a year later, bidding seems to be slower now and new listings seem to be selling at more reasonable prices. Let the greedy ones sit on and fondle their parts. Serves them right.
Steve