MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!

More
12 Jul 2009 06:40 #306410 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I have a problem with 1 Year, 4 issues for $39.95, my Cycle Guide is $16.00 a year for 12 issues!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2009 09:12 #306450 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I don't think $10 is excessive - but it is high for a subscription. About the same amount for the classic motorcycle mechanics and classic bike (both imported). Motorcycle classics is $7.00 for a single issue and $30.00 for 6 ($5.00 each) if you subscribe.

Motorcycle Classics is the main competition. I like the focus of Motorcycle Classics being street only and covering all brands. I think some of the articles fall short - often very shallow. There are virtually no 'how-to' tips in the magazine.

Classic Motorcycle Mechanics is my favorite read - great in-depth how-to articles and well as more historical type articles. sadly, Rod Gibson passed away a few weeks ago - he was instrumental in building CMM into what it is today - a great loss - he was a great ambassador for the vintage bikes - and in particular the zeds

The subscription only approach for Moto Retro is going to limit them tremendously. Copies sold are what keeps magazines alive. I don't have the circulation numbers here at the house, but I think MC Classics is around 35,000-40,000 copies per issue. What I don't know is the breakdown of newstand sales versus subscription sales - but I bet the bulk of sales is from newstand sales. I just can't see Moto Retro getting enough subscribers without first having the magazine on a newsstand. How many members of this forum are likely to subscribe without seeing a magazine first? I doubt if it's in the hundreds...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• MentalMike
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
12 Jul 2009 17:00 #306546 by MentalMike
Replied by MentalMike on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Well I signed up for 1 year to try it out. With an ELR like mine on the front cover, I had to! :ohmy:

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD
1985 Kawasaki ZX900A2 GPZ (2)
1985 Kawasaki ZL900 Eliminator
2013 Kawasaki C14 Concours

More
12 Jul 2009 18:06 #306558 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
They would be smart to print up a few thousand copies and give them away at Mid Ohio. That is their target market and it would maybe get some people hooked, kind of like a crack dealer. Walnecks gives away copies of their mag every year and I know I enjoy reading it, enough at least to buy 5-7 copies a year.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

More
12 Jul 2009 18:07 #306559 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I wish I could afford to.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
12 Jul 2009 20:38 #306639 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Don't know if I have ever picked up a copy of CMM. Sorry fot the loss of their key contributors. I will look for one and check it out.

As far as Mid Ohio and the Vintage Motorcycle event, Maybe Mitch will be there. Ohio is his home state.

If anyone with budgetary contraints wishes to borrow my copy of this new publication. It is theirs for the cost of postage. Just return when done. Maybe we can have our very own library and each member kick in a little something like a book or mag. Just a thought.

Eddie Lawson with his very own ELR. Rob Muzzy too. Here is a little note from Mitch in an Email just yesterday....

Hey Forrest
Yep, it's Eddie himself. We shot him with his own personal ELR last week, and are doing a story on the production bike and his career riding the green superbike - 80, 81 and 82. Interviewed EL and Rob Muzzy, and have a ton of stuff on the bike and the racer and the S1 model.
Thanks for posting info on the various sites; it'll help for sure having folks know what's what. Feel free to post the pic, too. I'm too buried to do it myself; maybe next week when the issue is gone to the printer!
Thanks again, and hope you're well,
Mitch

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• MentalMike
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
13 Jul 2009 13:13 #306745 by MentalMike
Yea, I had an email exchange with him as well after I bought my subscription. Real Nice guy. Sent me a preview pic from the first issue. See below.

Thanks, Michael!
Issue one ships to the printer in about a week. Issues will be mailed end of July.
Hope you're well,
Mitch

No sweat Mitch - I had to subscribe, you put an ELR like mine on the front cover! By the way, I heard about your mag on KZRider. We had some suggestions on how to spread the word about the mag if your interested. We want to see your mag stick around. Anyway thanks for what your doing.

MentalMike

Hi Mike
Thanks for the note! Really want to thank you for the support. Thanks also for helping spread the word. Sure...I'm interested in promoting as much as I can. Ideas? Maybe I should log on? Anyway, did I send you an image from the Lawson shoot last week? Here you go!
Thanks again!
Mitch

I swear to God, it's like I live in a trailer of common sense, and stare out the window at a tornado of stupidity.

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD

• MentalMike
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
13 Jul 2009 13:23 #306747 by MentalMike
Oh Dang! It wouldn't load the picture of Eddie Lawson that Mitch sent me!

Where's that confounded "Edit" Button when you need it?! :ohmy: :ohmy:

I have to go take a walk before I explode. :angry: :angry: :angry:

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
14 Jul 2009 13:08 #307001 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
MentalMike wrote:

Oh Dang! It wouldn't load the picture of Eddie Lawson that Mitch sent me!

Where's that confounded "Edit" Button when you need it?! :ohmy: :ohmy:

I have to go take a walk before I explode. :angry: :angry: :angry:

Same thing happened to me Mike. I was going to include the pic in my first posting on this thread. My home computer got infected due to kids in the house going on facebook, etc.:angry: My laptop is new and have not figured it out just yet. Anyway, I am sure Mitch would reply with said pic of Eddie with his personal KZ1000R to whomever subscribes.;)

BTW, that reminds me, I should download my Scandisk software on my laptop so I can upload more pics of my KZ650. It is almost restored to the point where I can post some more pics.

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

• MentalMike
  • User
  • God Bless America!
More
14 Jul 2009 14:45 #307015 by MentalMike
BTW, that reminds me, I should download my Scandisk software on my laptop so I can upload more pics of my KZ650. It is almost restored to the point where I can post some more pics.[/quote]

I'd love to see the pics, I've got a KZ650 as well. But make sure you get it right the first time in uploading them because there's no "Edit Button" to fix any mistakes. :P :P

1976 Kawasaki KZ900
1978 Kawasaki KZ1000A
1978 Kawasaki KZ650 C
1984 Kawasaki ZN1100 LTD