MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
11 Jul 2009 00:17 #306122 by Forrest
Hey all, there is a great new magazine coming out with its first issue at the end of the month. Mitch Boehm who used to be the editor of Motorcyclist magazine is now publishing Moto Retro Illustrated. It will feature motorcycles from the 60's, 70's and through mid 80's. Now tell me. If the members of the KZ riders could not benefit from such a publication I do not know who will. Matter of fact I received an email from Mitch earlier this evening confirming the first issue. He is featuring the KZ1000R and Eddie Lawson in this #1 issue. Availability of the magazine will be limited to subscribers and select dealers/retailers. I for one am looking forward to this magazine. Go to the following website for all the info you need to get onboard. www.motoretroillustrated.com/app/index.cfm

Here is a sample of what to expect, direct from Mitch B. himself

KZ RIDER RELAY FLAG CARRIER #55
1977 KZ650B Ready & Fit to Roll Anywhere!
1974 F7 175 -first bike and still own, full resto soon!
2002 ZRX1200R -Red the faster color
2011 Concours 14 -Now a Snarling Wolf in Sheep's Clothing!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
11 Jul 2009 00:31 #306124 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
The sample was to be a picture of Eddie Lawson posing with the KZ1000R. Obviously I need to work on my file/picture uploading skills. LOL I suggest going to the Moto Retro Illustrated website and checking things out there. And, if you want to see the KZ and Eddie then pick up the first issue of what is expected to be great Retro magazine.

BTW, I do not know Mitch Boehm personally. I enjoyed his work and contributions when he was at Motorcyclist magazine. He was there for many years. He did a long term test of my beloved ZRX1200R. I followed some of his mod tips and they really paid off. He also referred ZRX riders to the ZRXOA.org for more support and info. Once there, I was referred by members to come over here once I picked up my KZ restore project. So, you see I have Mitch to thank for being here and this is my way to pay him back and help all of you get hooked up with what is expected to be a great publication. That is all.

More
11 Jul 2009 06:10 #306141 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Sweet!

I picked up the last quaterly issue (RD-350 cover) but unfortunately missed the previous one KZ900!

Damn it! :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
11 Jul 2009 06:24 #306146 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I'll check it out but if Boehm slips one damn Ducati in this mag I'm out.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

• Mcdroid
  • User
  • Gone Kwackers
More
11 Jul 2009 06:39 #306149 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I'm still not sure about a subscription...I already take the VJMC magazine, Cycle World, and Motorcycle Classics, not to mention National Geographic and Smithsonian and several professional journals... I wish they had a better mechanism to distribute the mags for single issue sales :(

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
11 Jul 2009 06:42 #306150 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I found my previous copy at Safeway mag rack....

Are you guys saying they are planning on subscription only!
If so, that sucks for the subscription was rather high if I remember correctly, something like $60.... :angry:

Please say it isn;t so...............

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• kano
  • User
  • Not Another Bloody Limey!
More
11 Jul 2009 07:02 #306155 by kano
Replied by kano on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Old Man Rock wrote:

I found my previous copy at Safeway mag rack....

Are you guys saying they are planning on subscription only!
If so, that sucks for the subscription was rather high if I remember correctly, something like $60.... :angry:

Please say it isn;t so...............

1 Year (4 issues) $39.95 USD ;)

More
11 Jul 2009 07:38 #306161 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Way too rich for my blood. :angry:

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
11 Jul 2009 08:09 #306169 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
I've told Mitch previously I think having the mix of vintage dirt, street, and racing dilutes the interest in the magazine.

Sadly, I think this magazine is doomed to fail unless detailed how-to articles get included. The three versions of the Motorcyclist Retro magazine had some very nice articles, but nothing that would allow the magazine to compete head-to-head with Classic Motorcycle Mechanics & Classic Bike.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• Forrest
  • Topic Author
  • Sustaining Member
  • The Mad Duck
More
11 Jul 2009 13:19 #306210 by Forrest
Replied by Forrest on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Let me clarify somethings for all with concerns. There was a previous magazine last year that Mitch headed up. Due to the recessionary times the powers to be pulled the plug. This magazine is totally new with Mitch and maybe a few others footing the bill for start up. If you take a moment and go to their website you will learn all about this. Mitch has been a stand up guy that deserves a chance. I for one like both street and dirt bikes. My next restore projet is my original Kawasaki, a 1974 F7 175 enduro. Dirt bikes got me interested in motorcycling in the first place. Those are my roots. OKC-Kent, you crack me up!:lol: Myself, don't mind a Ducati, Honda, Suzuki, Triumph or BMW thrown in now and then. I doubt he can squeeze as many Ducs in as the current Motorcyclist Mag does. I swear at times they should just call that Ducatisti Mag and be done with it. I am not one to poo poo the new magazine yet. Reality dictates the mag be broad based if you are to draw enough subsribers. I just received the August issue of Cycle World and in Peter Egan's column he refers to how many motorcycles he and a buddy have owned through the years. Both of these long time enthusiasts owned Kawasakis but the numbers were low in comparison to other brands. Even though I am a Kawasaki guy, variety is the spice of life.

So, I just wanted to share some good news that a magazine featuring a KZ and one of its most famous superbike riders will be featured IN THE VERY FIRST ISSUE! AND, yes you can pick this up at select dealers, bookstores, etc. Mitch will even offer single issues/copies from the website, commonly known there as "swag". Just go on the website and they will list where you can go if you don't want to drop the $40 to get it conveniantly delivered to your door. I know that if the family wants to go out for dinner and a movie tonight, it will cost me way more than the subscription to this new mag dedicated to our era of bikes. Think I will keep them at home and cook burgers on the grill, sit out on the patio and maybe rent a video. That alone will pay for my subscription.

AND, before some of you write this off think about this. Mitch may even be nice enough to feature this owners association and some of its members bikes in an upcoming issue.

BTW, I subscribe to Smithsonian, Cycle World, Motorcyclist, Backpacker, Readers Digest and the Mrs/kids several more mags. What the heck, one more quarterly magazine dedicated to my favorite era in motorcycling can find room in my mailbox and my library, er bathroom. :P

More
11 Jul 2009 21:57 #306359 by WPBill
Replied by WPBill on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
Thanks for the link and info. I just signed up for a two year sub.

You can only be young once, but you can be immature forever!

Kamakura JAPAN, 1975 Z1B (x2, both in storage)

More
12 Jul 2009 04:41 #306391 by Sleepy
Replied by Sleepy on topic MOTO RETRO ILLUSTRATED MAGAZINE IS ON!
dont understand why they would use moto in the name. to me that says dirt bikes.

i probably wont buy it. i tend to thumb thru magazines before i buy and it sounds like the local stores wont have this one.

kz650 gs750 cb750