Peak Oil My Ass

• SPARKY47
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • 1980 KZ500 B2
More
08 Jul 2009 11:36 #305435 by SPARKY47
Peak Oil My Ass was created by SPARKY47
Done a bit of chemistry over the years and found this site very interesting.
It's like this...we're told that oil is a product of gazillions of years of little plants and things rotting under huge pressures and temperatures to finally produce underground lakes of crude oil.
More importantly, we have the prospect of riding around on electric motorbikes...
WTF's he ranting on about I hear you say...
It seems we've reached and passed "peak oil" and now its downhill all the way to a hairdryer on wheels.
(Quite ironic that Lotus bring out an electric car and have to fit an audio amp and speakers to simulate the sound of an internal combustion engine to it because the pedestrians can't hear it!)
Anyway, some American guy got together with some Russian guys and this is the result.After you read the main article click on the link for the "gas resources" site article.About half way down the page.

See what you reckon to this.

www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3952

1980 KZ500 B2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Jul 2009 13:22 #305449 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Peak Oil My Ass
on first take it is kinda squirely....he throws some long hard to pronounce names around too much to "prove" the claims....also as he starts to say that burning oil is not proven to be a bad thing ,he loses a bit more of my interest.......it has always been on folks minds how much oil there is ,or was,and how it came to be has always been a kinda a weak explanation ,even little kids express doubts when it is explained for the first time that t-rex and giant heads of lettuce , made all this oil........thanks for sharing though for sure i dig this stuff on kzr...great post...it kinda lost my interest when he claimed oil is not a bad thing and that is a renewable resource"like geothermal" oil isnt geothermal by a huge long shot...........side note????
have you ever heard anybody propose that the oil is down there for a reason.....i have often thought about this and believe it is the lubricant for our crust/mantles...and is a cushion of sorts...what we have done and are doing now...it is like removing all fluids from a knee joint.....ouch.......but i've never heard anyone put forth this proposition......either way oil sucks and is tomorrows generations legacy from us...much like slavery or killing the whales off was our fathers.....p.s whales are a renewable resource ,much like cattle are.....hugh..............my 2 cents

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
08 Jul 2009 13:27 #305454 by keith1
Replied by keith1 on topic Peak Oil My Ass
interesting.........

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
08 Jul 2009 13:52 #305479 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Peak Oil My Ass
oh great another long rant from keith.....:laugh: keith1 wrote:

interesting.........

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
08 Jul 2009 14:02 #305482 by KZQ
Replied by KZQ on topic Peak Oil My Ass
Good Information thanks Sparky!

I always wondered why you never find fossils of leaves and such in veins of coal.

Bill

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

• KOOL RYDER
  • User
  • KZ 650B2 / KZ 1000E
More
08 Jul 2009 15:13 - 08 Jul 2009 15:37 #305493 by KOOL RYDER
Replied by KOOL RYDER on topic Peak Oil My Ass
I am a geophysicist and work in the oil and gas indusrty of Calgary, Alberta. I do not know everything by a long shot. But I have never heard of the abiotic creation of petroleum from Co2 and FeO3 at 1500 C at 5GPa.\ before reading this aricle.

What I do know is that for oil to form it needs to be burried deep in the earths crust at high temp and pressures (known as the oil window) and then it needs to have the crust eroded from above to be accessable by human technology.

From my experience and education....

Oil is formed from marine organisms, ie. plankton and dead sea creatures. Oil is found in ancient reefs, massive limestone caves and porous sandstone.

Coal is formed from terrestrial plants, like ferns and such that are covered by sediment and burried and cooked deep within the earths surface.

There was an old guy in the 70's, that in retrospect was right on the money, with his complex equations regarding the price of future oil and when oil would hit its apex price or peak. He has been proven to be very accurate.

From his calculations we have either just recently hit peak oil within the last 2 - 3 years or we are still experiencing peak oil.

Oil and gas companies are now spending more time looking for hard to get oil, such as offshore developments in deep h2o basins and underexplored areas like the arctic. Thus the rush by Russia, Canada, Us, Denmark, and Norway to lay claim to the land contained under the ice at the North Pole.

My impression is that technology will improve the likelyhood of finding new large discoveries, however, those large discoveries are getting much harder to find. Thus, we see renewed interest in extracting oil from what has been historically known as seconday sources for oil such as the Canadian oilsands or Coal Bed Methane, a.k.a. gas from coal.

Just think about it, if oil can be produced from rust and lime, then why the hell are companies spending billions of dollars sending ships all over the earth scavenging for oil shows? I maybe crazy but the accepted theory of oil origin still makes more sence to me.

Will we be driving electric cars in 10 years? I would say yes. But, there will still be you and I riding our then 40+ years old KZ's around burning up gasoline while we are burning up the freeway. Who really cares where it comes from anyway as long as there is enough to fill up the old KZ.

KR B)

Rockin\' a KZ650B2 since 2007 and a KZ 1000E since 2008

1978 KZ650B
1979 KZ1000ST
Last edit: 08 Jul 2009 15:37 by KOOL RYDER.

More
08 Jul 2009 15:47 #305498 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Peak Oil My Ass
There was a report recently that Texas has had a rise in mini quakes. The report indicated some believe the removal of gas and oil has destabilized a fault and bigger ones are on the horizon. I too think that the quicker we get away from fossil fuels the better. As our numbers increase so does our fouling of the nest. Most likely won't affect us too much (maybe) but you can bet our children will not be happy with our ignoring of these important things. In the words of Dr. Zaius "Humans are filthy animals!". :whistle:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
08 Jul 2009 15:52 #305500 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Peak Oil My Ass
Food for thought...
While we may end up with cars powered by something other than petroleum, Ed the Predictor (ETP) is here to say that all the oil on Earth that can reasonably be extracted will eventually be burned. Why is that, one asks? Oil is burned by machines other than cars. Think ships and boats. The Navy has moved away from using oil on many warships by using nuclear power, but ETP suggests distributing nuclear material and capability to every nation that owns ships ain't a gonna happen. Smaller ships and boats cannot support the infrastructure required for nuclear power - and around the world there are lots of boats that aren't wind powered or that cannot simply plug into electrical outlets. Think airplanes. What other fuel is even a little bit practical for commercial flight? Think home and commercial heating. Many buildings rely on oil heat. Think large trucks and diesel trains. Etc. etc.

I'm not suggesting that solutions will not eventually be developed for all these oil consuming uses (though it won't be in my lifetime); I'm only suggesting that such solutions will not be completely developed and implemented as long as any oil is reasonably available. So, if we're going to speed this development process along, let's get out there and ride! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
09 Jul 2009 06:28 #305614 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic Peak Oil My Ass
KZCSI wrote:

I always wondered why you never find fossils of leaves and such in veins of coal.

I was trained as a mining engineer - and worked many years in coal mines. I can tell you that you certainly DO find fossils of leaves and such in coal seams! In fact, if you slice coal very thinly, and look at it in a light-transmission microscope, you will see spores similar to those found in plants today.

The best place to find leaf, and bark impressions are at the coal boundaries, and inclusions. In the coal itself, the fossils are actually too smushed (technical term) together to be individually identifiable.

With regard to replacements for fossil fuels in things like ships and airplanes - both can readily use biodiesel with little or no modifications to the engines!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

• 9am53
  • User
  • homebrew, and some bbq
More
09 Jul 2009 06:49 - 09 Jul 2009 06:57 #305619 by 9am53
Replied by 9am53 on topic Peak Oil My Ass
I am a chemist, and I don't see how carboxylation of steel is supposed to give you alkanes...as someone mentioned it seems like he used a bunch of russian names to make us think it's legit when its a just bunch of bogus hocus pocus

Although, I do recall something from an inorganic chem lecture about south africa producing petroleum from iron oxide...I'll try to find lecture..
Last edit: 09 Jul 2009 06:57 by 9am53.

More
09 Jul 2009 08:59 #305638 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Peak Oil My Ass
Depends what I eat as weather I shat coal or oil or just gas. My understanding is if processed right all are combustible thus energy providers. :X :S :pinch:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
09 Jul 2009 09:27 #305641 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Peak Oil My Ass
SPARKY47 wrote:

www.canadafreepress.com/index.php/article/3952

Consider the source... complete drivel.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A