Should I bob it ???????

• triggerbilly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2009 18:23 - 31 Mar 2009 18:24 #277161 by triggerbilly
Should I bob it ??????? was created by triggerbilly
OK... I'm standin' at the crossroads !!!

for some strange reason I have a really strong urge for a bobber !
the thing is, I ain't a rich man and can't just go out and buy a project for me to try.
SO do i cut up this nice looking (for it's age) kz750

do I
cut it
sell it
swap it
leave it

I'm gonna put it out there for you guys to decide
let me know your thoughts on what i should do

also if you wanna swap me for a bobbed bike, let me know !!
here's a few pics

1982 kz750-e3
1983 cb1000c
plano. TX
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2009 18:24 by triggerbilly.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• triggerbilly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2009 18:25 #277162 by triggerbilly
Replied by triggerbilly on topic Should I bob it ???????

1982 kz750-e3
1983 cb1000c
plano. TX
Attachments:

• triggerbilly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2009 18:26 #277164 by triggerbilly

1982 kz750-e3
1983 cb1000c
plano. TX
Attachments:

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 Mar 2009 18:27 #277166 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Should I bob it ???????
no...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
31 Mar 2009 18:29 #277169 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic Should I bob it ???????
If you have the ability to do the work yourself...or atleast some of it.
Let'er rip...take your time and build what YOU want....
You'll be glad you did...There is lots of help in here if you run int a wall.
Just my .02 cents

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
31 Mar 2009 18:29 #277170 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Should I bob it ???????
brother that is one nice kz750...if it was mine i would not change a thing....get another one and do my thing with it but that one would stay exact as is ....it is sweettriggerbilly wrote:

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
31 Mar 2009 18:58 #277189 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Should I bob it ???????
It does look to be really nice. To me it would be a shame to change it. I would guess it could provide enough financial HP to rescue a less complete one into anything you want. You'd get a great bike and a good feeling you helped preserve a classic.

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
31 Mar 2009 19:13 - 31 Mar 2009 19:15 #277203 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic Should I bob it ???????

Should I bob it ???????

Please don't. That model in that color is my favorite 750.
Yours looks to be in pretty good condition.

Not mine - just a pic.
Attachments:
Last edit: 31 Mar 2009 19:15 by JMKZHI.

More
31 Mar 2009 20:04 #277230 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Should I bob it ???????
If it was my bike I would work on making it as pristine and original as possible - it already looks like it's very nice. Each original stock bike that is cut reduces the original KZ pool and is lost forever. For us older guys it's like making a hotrod out of a pristine stock '57 Chevy. Many were done, but today the original cars are worth a mint while nearly all the hotrods have been melted down or recycled. However, I understand that many folks like to put their own artistic signature on their bikes. I've done this myself when I was young. So given that, here are my objective observations:

Facts, Pros, & Cons:

As you point out, you do not have unlimited funds, but your goal is to end up with a bobbed or customized bike of your own creation

In its current condition (it looks VERY nice) if put up for sale the bike will appeal to a MUCH greater market and have a higher resale value than it will after it has been modified. With rare exceptions, modified bikes don't have as much resale value as stock bikes (the exceptions being those that have been done professionally and/or have had serious $$$ invested)

Modifying it will necessarily involve destroying the originality of many of the stock parts (paint, chrome, etc.) that account for much of the current value of the bike

Once "bobbed" it cannot reasonably be returned to stock because the cutting of the frame, painting, etc. cannot be undone

There are numerous bikes on the market that already have lost the original stock paint, chrome, etc. that could be bought for considerably less $$$ than your bike will sell for

SO; instead of modifying a valuable stock bike, why not sell it and buy a bike that is not stock and have money left over for your modifications? Since you will be changing the frame, paint, fenders, etc. anyway, it really isn't important if they already have been repainted, cut, etc. Selling the stock bike would give you enough $$ to cover the cost of buying an "unstock" bike plus buying some goodies to put on it (seat, etc.) so you could finish your project without spending any more $$ than you already have invested in your current bike. It would cost only peanuts to list your bike on eBay with a reserve that meets your minimum expectations. It may bring in more $$ than you expect. You can use the time between now and when you find another bike to lay out a detailed plan for the mods you would like to do so the end product looks good. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• triggerbilly
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
31 Mar 2009 20:21 #277235 by triggerbilly
650ed wrote:

SO; instead of modifying a valuable stock bike, why not sell it and buy a bike that is not stock and have money left over for your modifications? Since you will be changing the frame, paint, fenders, etc. anyway, it really isn't important if they already have been repainted, cut, etc. Selling the stock bike would give you enough $$ to cover the cost of buying an "unstock" bike plus buying some goodies to put on it (seat, etc.) so you could finish your project without spending any more $$ than you already have invested in your current bike. It would cost only peanuts to list your bike on eBay with a reserve that meets your minimum expectations. It may bring in more $$ than you expect. You can use the time between now and when you find another bike to lay out a detailed plan for the mods you would like to do so the end product looks good. Ed

Yeah that's what the angel on my left shoulder is saying!!!
and you know what the devil on my right is saying

THE ANGEL IS WINNING FOR ONCE IN MY LIFE !!!!!!

it may be up for sale soon if anyone here is interested

thanks Ed
good 'sensible' advice

1982 kz750-e3
1983 cb1000c
plano. TX

More
31 Mar 2009 21:41 #277256 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Should I bob it ???????
I'd keep that one, ride it on Saturdays, or maybe on Mondays to work to take some of the sting out. Either way, keep it, buy another and mod it. I like to see projects of all kinds, and I generally don't like the look of some of the older stock bikes (the kz650sr is one of them), but that one is nice enough in stock dress to the point that I wouldn't park it in my garage for fear the kids would "work" on it with a crescent wrench and a hammer.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
31 Mar 2009 22:15 #277270 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Should I bob it ???????
my self i'd try to keep it as close to this as possible but saying that it's your bike do what ever blows your hair back but really iwould look for one that wasn't as nice to chop you don't just come across good survivers this good every day and obviously your having second thoughts or you would be asking what we thought keep that one as it is and go looking for another less savory.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE