Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
12 Mar 2009 08:13 - 12 Mar 2009 08:14 #271346 by Jeff.Saunders
Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one? was created by Jeff.Saunders
Before you start the riding season, have a look at your crash helmet. Usually you want to replace these every 4-5 years.

Crash helmets do wear out. The straps start to show signs of wear, the stitching on the D-Rings or clasps can be a problem. The foam inserts compress with wear causing a poor fitting helmet. Anytime you drop or bang a helmet, there's a risk you've compromised the structure of the shell. They are only designed to take a single hit...

If your helmet is showing signs of wear, it's time to consider replacing it...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 08:14 by Jeff.Saunders.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Mar 2009 09:52 #271355 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?
Up in New York you use helmets? Here in Colorado we don't have a helmet law so we don't use helmets:)
Good advice, and I've always worn a helmet, but am constantly amazed by the numbers that don't. We're all scared to death to run 5 yr old certain death tires yet about 90% go with no helmet around here.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
12 Mar 2009 10:14 #271363 by N0NB
My HJC CL-14 will be five years old next month (purchased in April 2004). It has never been in a crash or dropped and is kept inside out of the sunlight when I'm not riding. Is it shot? It still is quite snug. Although I've read all of the arguments about long-term use compressing the inner liner and/or the compressible styrofoam shell.

With those facts in mind, am I better or worse off than the 95% of riders in Kansas with no helmet (honest question, not a flamebait troll)? Maybe it's time for a new helmet with a new paint scheme.

OTOH, if I put up tens of thousands of miles per year, a new lid every year or every couple of years would seem to be a good idea. I'm willing to take my chances with my HJC a couple more years.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
12 Mar 2009 10:25 #271365 by arai59
Good advice Jeff. Thanks for the reminder. Sometimes you forget about the little things that can add up to a lot. My bucket is in that age range and I believe I'll replace it.
Ride safe.

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
12 Mar 2009 10:43 - 12 Mar 2009 10:46 #271369 by Limey
It is my understanding that what Jeff says is correct. I would guess there is some leeway in the numbers - particularly depending on the amount of use/abuse etc. Kind of interesting that those who don't wear a helmet probably only get one "hit" out of it too!

On the no-helmet stuff - I have noticed that those who ride the "cruisers" are typically the no-helmet bunch, whereas those riding "sport" bikes, tourers and classics are usually wearing a helmet!

See, Darwin was right!:huh:

FWIW - I bought a "Scorpion" full-face helmet when I got the KZ two years ago. They are very reasonably priced, DOT and SNELL approved and I am VERY happy with mine. SWMBO has one too!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 10:46 by Limey.

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
12 Mar 2009 14:44 - 12 Mar 2009 14:45 #271398 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?
There have been a few good evaluation tests done by magazines over the past few years - overall, the more expensive helmets are not much better than the cheap ones at protecting your head. But they are better with creature comforts - cooling ventilation, anti-fogging and visors.

I need to get a new helmet myself - I looked at mine the other day and it's past it's prime for sure...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 14:45 by Jeff.Saunders.

More
12 Mar 2009 15:02 - 12 Mar 2009 15:08 #271404 by OnkelB
Well, I should be good for a couple of years yet - bought this one last summer, Uvex Helix RS, super light carbon fiber, only weighs 900 grams/2 lbs and is a perfect fit.

Wasn't cheap but then neither is my head - listing price was $ 600 +, when they offered me a 50% discount I couldn't resist. Won't post any pics of the one it replaced :blush: let's just say a change was way overdue, the old helmet was like 12 years old.

77 KZ 650 B1, 82 GPz 1100 B2.
Attachments:
Last edit: 12 Mar 2009 15:08 by OnkelB.

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
12 Mar 2009 16:42 #271415 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?
Thats a really nice looking helmet there.

I just got a new one this year too, so I'm good. B)

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
12 Mar 2009 18:38 #271449 by N0NB
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

There have been a few good evaluation tests done by magazines over the past few years - overall, the more expensive helmets are not much better than the cheap ones at protecting your head. But they are better with creature comforts - cooling ventilation, anti-fogging and visors.

I think you're referring to the article Motorcyclist did a few years ago. It seemed to me that the article was tainted by an unsaid ax being ground toward the Snell Foundation. Now it's quite possible their testing wasn't biased and only the writing of the article was. OTOH, the Snell sticker means that an example of the helmet that bears it was actually tested and passed the tests. The DOT sticker provides no such assurance as it's essentially a "self certification" and not necessarily subject to independent testing.

If there were other articles/magazines that made similar comparisons, I missed them.

I need to get a new helmet myself - I looked at mine the other day and it's past it's prime for sure...

Good idea! We need to keep you around for a while, Jeff. :laugh:

The nice thing about a new helmet is that it smells, well, new! B)

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
12 Mar 2009 18:44 #271454 by timebomb33
Replied by timebomb33 on topic Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?
if you have a ten cent head use a ten cent helmet otherwise buy a good one every few years i have to buy a new lid for racing every so many years and when it is done i will use it for a couple of years on the street then by that time it has some personallity [stickers and story's ] so up on the shelf it goes. at last count i had 15 from different years and types of racing all sitting on my shelf in the shop. never to be used again.

1973 z1 2-1974z1-a,2-1975z1-b dragbikes1015cc+1393cc, 1977kz1000,1978kz1000,1981kz1000j, 1997 zx-11, 2000 z12r,1428turbo nitrous pro-mod and a shit load of parts thats all for now leader sask.,CANADA
I THINK MY POWERBAND BROKE

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
13 Mar 2009 07:04 - 13 Mar 2009 07:46 #271565 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?
Nate, I think it was the Motorcyclist article I'd read.

Yes, the DOT compliance says the manufacturer possibly/probably/may-or-may-not adhere to the DOT standard - somewhat of an iffy standard as it requires manufacturers to self-police compliance.

Just as an experiment. Take any of your old helmets and hit them with a heavy blunt hammer... be prepared for the hammer to bounce back at you... ...it is impressive how much of a pounding they take before giving up. A sharp object (like an axe) will go straight through the shell, but the helmet does absorb a fair amount of shock before the shell quits.

I took the side out of a fiberglass helmet years ago (crashed my old Yamaha RD). I slid my bike down the road and scraped the heck out of the helmet. All the way through to the foam...

I had another helmet get ruined by a large rock kicked up by a truck - that stone would have probably killed me without the helmet.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Last edit: 13 Mar 2009 07:46 by Jeff.Saunders.

More
13 Mar 2009 07:43 #271570 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Crash Helmets - is it time to buy a new one?

large rock kicked up my a truck

Excellent topic for this brings up another serious concern... As much as I don't like the idea of having to wear here in Az, especially in the summer months, a chest protector will probably be a way of riding life....

New designs available have made them more comfortable, less weight with Kevlar protection, air flow vent for cooling and a little more stylish for the vanity concious personalities...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az