Bringing my 750b back to life

More
10 Mar 2009 09:25 #270913 by cycleknight
Bringing my 750b back to life was created by cycleknight
I've got a 79 kz750b twin that has been put off for way too long. It's complete, aside from side covers, and I want to get it back on the road. It ran fine when I last started it (four years ago :blush: )but, as with everything, every time I got the money to work on it another bill came up or my wife or son needed something. I couldn't bring myself to spend money on something just because I wanted it. Now I'm sick of watching it go to waste, but I don't know where to start. It looks like too big a job from a distance, so what should I begin? It kicks over freely, it shouldnt be a problem to get it to start, but where from then? Also, what modifications would be advisable? (Blade fuses, Someone mentioned a coil mod on another thread, etc). Any help would be great.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2009 09:30 #270915 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Bringing my 750b back to life
Good luck, I think you should start with cleaning the carbs.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
10 Mar 2009 10:43 #270932 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Bringing my 750b back to life
Since it ran fine 4 years ago I would get it back to that level and put a few miles on it before considering any mods. You want to establish a baseline from which you can objectively measure any improvements or negative impacts caused by mods.

As Mark said, clean the carbs; rinse out fuel tank and put in fresh fuel (it might be a good idea to add a fuel filter if there's any doubt about residue in the tank); change the oil and filter (who knows what it has deteriorated to over the past 4+ years); get a fresh battery, and replace the plugs with the same as are in it. You may want to spray a LITTLE lube in the cylinders a day or so before you crank it over, but I wouldn't make other changes until I got it started and saw how it ran. You may be pleasantly surprised. Of course, before you ride it you should carefully check the tires, lube the chain, change the fork oil and brake fluid, and lube cables and any pivot points (brake pedal, etc.) that may have stiffened up. Take your time and do it right, after all, it waited 4 years - another week or so won't matter. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)