Thank goodness for 20mph school zones

More
19 Feb 2009 13:40 #266210 by RonKZ650
Thank goodness for 20mph school zones was created by RonKZ650
I was riding to work the other day and cussing the 20mph speed limit in a school zone. I'm in the right lane going 20mph, a city bus is in the left lane. Since city buses have a straight route, I thought nothing wrong with passing on the right as he was going maybe 10mph. Suddenly right when I get my front wheel on his rear bumper he makes a right turn out of the left lane directly into my path. I was <5 ft from being hit by a 10T bus! So be careful of anything that seems unusual on seemingly simple stretches of road and keep your eyes pealed at all times. Normally I'd be going 35-40mph if it wasn't for this school zone and I would have never stopped without hitting the bus at that speed.
This morning I sit out there in 16 degree weather with a camera, because I know this bus did not signal his turn and am still a little surprised this happened. Of course this morning the bus goes straight as he does every day except that one?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Feb 2009 15:08 #266224 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Thank goodness for 20mph school zones
Ron I sympathize but I got to tell ya around here it's no overtaking and passing on the right. Plus around here do it to a school bus and you are gonna GET SCHOOLED. I have gotten 2 tickets for overtaking. I think they re-paved the road with my fines. I have to agree it's dangerous for both parties. That's why it drives me crazy when someone is sight seeing at 10mph in a 40mph zone and in the passing lane. My lights and horn usually wakes them up and then we share friendly (you're #1) one finger salutes. Usually... At least they'll never find the bodies of the other ones. :ohmy:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
19 Feb 2009 15:14 #266228 by arai59
Replied by arai59 on topic Thank goodness for 20mph school zones
Good heads up move there Ron. Be careful..........just when you don't expect it.........bam.

More
19 Feb 2009 20:32 #266327 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic Thank goodness for 20mph school zones
In Cali passing on the right as long as you don't leave the road is legal. Still, glad to hear you are ok.

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust