HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities

• Calhoun
  • User
  • Hayabusa= I ride to the strip club in flip flops
More
24 Jan 2009 10:54 #259884 by Calhoun
Replied by Calhoun on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
If you look at how many models are available now, It really is impressive that HD is in 2nd.I can't really say that they have a "new" model every year either.
They do not sell jet skis, atvs, utilty golf cart thingys, and so on. At the same time, when have you ever seen Honda panties or Suzuki dog/pet clothing?

80 IT175, 84 XL200, XT250, 95 ST1100 96 xr650l (30k miles),kz1000, KX250 97'
Last and most important 93 KX500.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Calhoun
  • User
More
24 Jan 2009 10:55 #259885 by Calhoun
:ohmy: :lol: :kiss: :lol: :S :) :angry: :silly: :cheer: :( The Poodle and the riding lawn mower handlebars really do it for me.!:laugh: :silly: :ohmy: :ohmy: ;) ;)

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
24 Jan 2009 11:08 #259887 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
Calhoun what part of Tampa are3 you in?

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
24 Jan 2009 12:09 #259902 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
trianglelaguna wrote:

hey i don't like to see those folks go without work and get hurt...i'm mad is all....i feel a huge sucking sensation from the spiral drain under these times.....i better go shoot some protected species and blow off some steam...rant over

By protected species I hope you aren't talking about conservatives in California. The pack is already dwindling. :)

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

More
24 Jan 2009 12:21 #259906 by KawiConvert
Replied by KawiConvert on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
Kawickrice wrote:

15 minutes and 15 grand dont make you a biker. Most of the weekend warriors have little to no expierence and should not be allowed on the roads with big cc bikes, that goes for the crotch rockets also.
Like the other guy said RUBS rich urban bikers, that is a majority of Harleys market share. With out the yuppies where would they be?
I like the classics myself so If Kawasaki is last in the market share so be it.
P.S. I ride with a 56 panhead and that is a beautiful bike.

To use something from what you said, a lot of the Squids who buy and wreck sport bikes help drive that market as well. They have no business being on anything bigger than a Tote-goat powered by a 1.3hp engine. However, because they buy and wreck and sometimes live to buy again it helps the makers of sportbikes stay in business and keep costs down.

I think the biggest thing that drives other makers and not Harley is the racing. I don't know enough about it, but I do not recall a lot of racers riding big twins in the races. The racing is a lot of what drives new technology, otherwise 30 year old technology is fine for everyday riding. As long as the fab methods and materials are updated not much has changed about sitting on a bike, putting it in gear, and twisting the throttle. Thats where Harley has stayed in the market, that and the guys who are living their childhood dream on the weekend.

Speaking of those guys, I'm almost 30 and I finally have my first honest to goodness street bike that does not sport plastic fenders and dirt/street tires. I also finally have my first dirt bike that has suspension from this decade and no-metal fenders. :P

1978 KZ650 D1 ~ Carb jetting: 107.5 & 20 & 4th groove with pods and 4-1 Exhaust

• Calhoun
  • User
More
24 Jan 2009 12:28 #259909 by Calhoun
westshore kennedy

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Jan 2009 12:31 #259911 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
flhwesty wrote:

I also own a 1983flh. I am happy they used the same parts for 50 plus years, it makes them easy to come by. The people who own Harleys prefer that type of product, just like people who own BMWs or VWs. Harley has been geared towards RUBS (Rich Urban Bikers) the last 10-15 years. Now that crowd has moved on to something else and the prices are dropping on new and used.
The market has changed as well as the economy. I do not see it as a sign that a company that has been making motorcycles for 105 years has been nothing but a mistake.
IMO Harley should stop changeing the bike to leading edge technology and go the other way, and serve the core customer.

very well said sir!!!!and allmost mirrors their aproach of serving the core customer and not bending to trends.....
I remember in my home town Vetter had been building a few bikes and i growing up saw mostly all japanese bikes ....i ended up riding a used z-1 few years into my hobby...then when i moved around the united states as a young ironworker my coworkers would verbally assualt me for my preference of motorcycles...they would say nasty things about the japanese and my loyalty to my country(they or their wives often drove toyotas)...That is when i developed a chip on "MY" shoulder for not having an option to get a new/used performance bike from an american co....their were none!!!!
I knew then what i know now.....IF harley would have a second branch that built knee dragging roll on wheelie, corner scorching,lighter,performance ,orientated bikes,they would be including the segment of america that does not go for the cruiser bikes...instead they and create tariffs and nasty comments....and further push MANY americans away from their brand......that said i love nothing more than to sit and have a harley guy tell me about his bike and his special work he has done on it like i did while waiting for our table outside a resturuant last sunday....

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
24 Jan 2009 13:02 #259922 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
stupidity is not model specific,lots of idiots anywhere ya go ive just learned to ignore most of em over the years.harleys have there purpose just like a goldwing or anything else its when the people riding them arent smart enough to realize that purpose and the limitations of any design that problems tend to arise.if they want to build the same bike for the next 100 years thats fine as long as somebody wants to buy them so be it,im sure its the same way the guys on the sportbikes feel about us riding these old antique aircooled bikes with frames made from water pipe!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
24 Jan 2009 13:38 #259931 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
i remember being in the grocery store and lifting the cycle world up from behind another mag ..and here was a picture of the new Ducati 851...lights on pointing it's fairing at the reader....i was like....whats this?? could it be??? a new king/kind of motorcycle perfomance.....it sure was...kicking ass and taking names at the races from day one.....how could this be...
Then one day a year or so later i did the same slide out to see the cover and !!!!!!Harley Davisons vr-1000 was on the cover looking just as mean and promising as the Ducati 851....better yet it was ours...like a p51 mustang ..
the racing began...Scott Russell...Doug Chandler...surely a street bike would soon be here.......sure thign for sales...america would takes it's rightful place as superbike producer... coming off an era of u.s motogp dominence....... the streets awaited their prince....NOPE....just a buell 5 speed and some batman v-rods....sorry charlie starkist...

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
24 Jan 2009 13:56 #259939 by Evilfrog
Replied by Evilfrog on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
trianglelaguna wrote:

IF harley would have a second branch that built knee dragging roll on wheelie, corner scorching,lighter,performance ,orientated bikes,they would be including the segment of america that does not go for the cruiser bikes...instead they and create tariffs and nasty comments....and further push MANY americans away from their brand......that said i love nothing more than to sit and have a harley guy tell me about his bike and his special work he has done on it like i did while waiting for our table outside a resturuant last sunday....

Doesn't HD own Buell?

1981? CSR 1000 -- I'll figure it out soon enough.

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
24 Jan 2009 14:52 #259950 by Limey
Evilfrog wrote:

Doesn't HD own Buell?

Yes, they do!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

More
24 Jan 2009 19:58 #259990 by franknsr
Replied by franknsr on topic HD to layoff 1,100 and close some facilities
Got two interesting stats for ya;
First I heard on NPR yesterday that HD sales were down over 60%. Ouch.
The other comes from my time at a Harley dealer about 7 years ago. There was an annual report on the demographics of the average rider. Each year the average rider was about 11 months older, which meant that basically the same group of people were buying bikes every couple years and some day they would all be dead. HD was working on coming up with new models that would appeal to "younger" riders.
Do you guys think they have succeeded in the past few years?

Formerly CSRchopper
1991 KZ1000P
Gone but not forgotten
1986 ZG1000
1982 650 CSR -shoulda kept this one-
Lisle Illinois, USA