researching parts interchange

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
22 Jan 2009 08:04 #259345 by Jeff.Saunders
researching parts interchange was created by Jeff.Saunders
Here’s a few general tips for investigating what parts might interchange across bikes.

First, www.kawasaki.com has parts diagrams - these are under owner info. The diagrams have parts lists and in the parts lists you have the ability to check what models a part fits, and if there are superceeded part numbers associated with the part.

If you want to check if parts might fit one model from another model look for items like nuts, bearings, o-rings and seals to find diameters of other parts.

Wheel bearings tell you the axle size. Not directly, but the bearing size designation is common.
For example: 6304 bearings are 20mm x 52mm x 15mm – that’s 20mm ID, 52mm OD, 15mm width

Fork seals, steering bearings, swing arm bearings all have similar dimensions. Not all the OEM ones show the size, but if you look up the parts on web sites like ours, you’ll find information showing dimensions.
For example: the Z1/KZ900 fork seals are 36mm x 48mm x 11mm – 36mm ID, 48mm OD, and 11mm thickness.

An 18mm nut will usually fit on a 18mm shaft (not always as sometimes shafts step-down where the nut goes).

Kawasaki part numbers can give you the size when it’s a common hardware part – nuts, bolts, o-rings etc.
For example:
670B1510 is an o-ring that has a 10mm ID and a cross-section of 1.5mm
115G0825 is a bolt that’s 8mm thread and 25mm long

While things like this don’t tell everything, it will often help eliminate parts for consideration.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Limey
  • User
  • 3 Years in the U.K. - Brought the KZ with me!
More
22 Jan 2009 08:35 #259351 by Limey
Replied by Limey on topic researching parts interchange
Good info Jeff! Also do not overlook good old Mr. Google - often if you google a part number you will find all sorts of information - and typically several sources too!

Eric
Newmarket, England (for 3 years)
Pentwater, Michighan (Home)
1978 KZ650
2000 ZG1000
2006 Suzuki Burgman 650

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
22 Jan 2009 17:05 #259471 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic researching parts interchange
Kawasaki dealers have a way of checking this when they log into the Big K website. I don't think there's any way you and I can do this, though.
I have the crossover list from 1966 through 1999 B)...
but it's on microfiche.:( I guess this was the method they used before Kawasaki itself and all the dealers were fully online. I do use it...but it's cumbersome if you're in a hurry.
I'm sure that someone somewhere has a computerized version of my microfiche lists.....or a "less-than-authorized" standalone listing from Kawi's website.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
27 Jan 2009 09:26 #260466 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic researching parts interchange
H2RICK wrote:

Kawasaki dealers have a way of checking this when they log into the Big K website. I don't think there's any way you and I can do this, though.

You can, that's why I posted the information - just follow the parts diagrams into the parts list and click on the part - you have all this info at your fingertips.

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
27 Jan 2009 10:52 - 28 Jan 2009 06:42 #260480 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic researching parts interchange
Jeff, if a part is listed as Active, can you get it?

Using the diagrams.
I find it's easiest to do the Search-by-Model-Info without entering a VIN or anything. Just click continue, pick a year only & click continue again, then choose from the list of bikes for that year.

The VIN lookup feature is handy when needed.

Once you find the diagrams for a bike, most diagram reference numbers are clickable - clicking hi-lites the full part number below. Clicking the part number opens a new window where a part is listed as Active, Active Limited Quantity or Cancelled - some items are still available from the dealer. Clicking the icons will open a new window with cross-reference &/or part number supersession info (yellow/black ?)(red/white S).

For pricing information:
I copy & paste the part number at RonAyers.com to get a ballpark price. Babbitts Online is another place to get an idea of what the retail price is. I like to use Babbitts' diagrams because theirs have the full part number, whereas other sites only have the diagram reference number which is not very helpful. Please note that many places provide a price for everything, but they don't have nor can they get most items.

Buying parts & maintenance items:
After acquiring the information as above, I get the needed items from three places: the local Kaw dealer (rarely), eebayy & Z1Enterprises.com which has fast shipping & customer service (AAA+++).
Last edit: 28 Jan 2009 06:42 by JMKZHI.

• Jeff.Saunders
  • Topic Author
  • Vendor
More
27 Jan 2009 14:58 #260506 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic researching parts interchange
If the part is active, then yes, we can get it. Our pricing is competitive to Babbitt's and others.

If Kawasaki is showing 'limited availability', it's possible they have just 1 or 2 or even zero on the shelf.

Apparently Kawasaki has stopped replenishing many of the older parts, but even though a part may hit zero inventory, they leave the part semi-active incase a dealer returns one of those parts.

Sadly, Kawasaki has recently changed how they handle many of the parts. Some are now no longer returnable. So if you order, make sure you want it...

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
27 Jan 2009 17:35 #260533 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic researching parts interchange
OK...with the little hints from JMKZHI I poked around and now see how it works. Great stuff !! Unfortunately I can't seem to find anything to do with part numbers that HAVE BEEN superseded already. The lists that I've looked at only show the part numbers of currently available parts....which makes sense from Kawsaki's point of view of course.....but doesn't help anyone wanting to know what the original part number was. This is necessary if you see some NOS stuff on Ebay and aren't sure if it is "correct" for your particular bike.... and not just an item that "will fit/will work/will look okay".
Oh well, I guess I still have my microfiche for that. Now all I need is a paper parts book or an original 1978 fiche parts list for my particular bike.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
27 Jan 2009 19:02 - 31 Jan 2009 06:49 #260548 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic researching parts interchange
Yep, I know what you mean. I just bought a nos muffler cover w superceded part numbers on eebay. It wasn't a problem in this case, though.
The advanced search there isn't any help either - its info is the same as what's available in the diagrams. Although, when all you have is a part number, the advanced search option could prove helpful every now n then.

The Kaw diagrams are a handy tool - too bad more vehicle manufacturer don't have 'em.

Jeff, thanks for the info. Since a few oem parts are listed on your website, I've always assumed that you could get any available Kaw parts, but wasn't sure. My standard reply to folks is to do the things mentioned in my previous post, then actually get your stuff at Z1 & contact them if something isn't listed.
Last edit: 31 Jan 2009 06:49 by JMKZHI.

More
30 Jan 2009 22:03 #261036 by jarhead32
Replied by jarhead32 on topic researching parts interchange
hey just wondering if any one can tell me if a seat from a 80 kz 650 ltd will fit on an 82 kz650csr?

More
31 Jan 2009 04:06 #261078 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic researching parts interchange
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

If Kawasaki is showing 'limited availability', it's possible they have just 1 or 2 or even zero on the shelf.

Apparently Kawasaki has stopped replenishing many of the older parts, but even though a part may hit zero inventory, they leave the part semi-active incase a dealer returns one of those parts.

Now I understand...I figured it was something like that but wasn't sure...I have in fact, ordered from Z1E when KHI was showing 'limited availability' and Z1E was not able to secure them...alas.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
28 Feb 2009 13:55 #268699 by sharkynrk
Replied by sharkynrk on topic researching parts interchange
looking on babbits pages i need a
92055B SKU: 92055-1146
RING-O

can you help me figure out what size these are - 4+ dollars for a riggin o ring plus shippping is f-in rediculous

couldn't find these on z1