Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool

More
02 Mar 2011 06:24 #434391 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
RonKZ650 wrote:

I know it's been 2 years since I posted this, but just an update. After my first piece of crap set of the motion pro syncpro, motion pro agreed to send me a new set, so here's an update. Today I go to use them for the first time. As a test I suck on one tube and liquid actually rose, I suck on the next two tubes and liquid rises also, however it does not go back in the tool, so now all three tubes have a mix of liquid/air gaps at the botton 2" or so of each tube. I suck on tube #4 and get nothing. I see now all the liquid has evaporated over the last two years in tube #4 and the other 3 are now empty except for the remnants that remain in the three tubes. Don't buy this piece of utter crap. I've see crap tools, but this is the biggest crap I've ever encountered for close to $100 I didn't even get to sync one set of carbs despite having 2 different sets of this "tool". Motion Pro is all chinese junk, the entire line of product.

Ron, how come you don't have a factory sync tool then? I know it would have to painted in original colors - as heaven forbid if someone repainted it! :lol:

Do I like the MP carb sync tool? Personally I don't. I'm with you on the issue of the liquid evaporating - I don't feel it should - but some of that is also how you store it. Most customers have not had problems with it. However, in terms of complaints, I know MP has received a number on the tool. They admit there are many bikes where the vacuum exceeds the capability of the tool. MP quotes a vacuum max for the tool of 40cm/Hg max. Unfortunately most shop manuals don't tell what vacuum is generated on each bike. I do know mechanical slide carbs like the VM24, VM26, VM28 and VM29's can generate more than 40cm/Hg depending on the health of the engine and the cams/cam timing setup.

You are never ever happy with anything that doesn't come with Kawasaki stamped on it - so why do you even buy any aftermarket parts - is it just so you can badmouth all the different suppliers? A few years ago you badmouthed the MP cables - only to retract that comment when you realized you'd been using MP clutch cable on your bike without issue for many years? Remember that?

A few Motion Pro tools are made in China. But most are not. If you look through the MP line, many of the tools they sell are made in the USA - others are made in Taiwan. As I look across the complete MP line, percentage-wise very few of their products are made in China. So don't make blanket statements like all MP stuff if Chinese - it's not...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2011 06:47 - 02 Mar 2011 07:01 #434393 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
That's very true, I'm not happy with a lot of aftermarket stuff and for very good reason. When it doesn't work, I'm not happy. I guess some guys would rather save the money and buy junk.:) I found a place called Beemerboneyard.com that has the Morgan Carbtune here in the USA and I ordered it last night and it's already shipped. I know there's been complaints of Morgan being slow to ship. No need to wait, just order from Beemerboneyard.com
I would have ordered from Z1 if you had these. I saw the gauges and was a little worried over quality of the $59 gauges and didn't think $200+ on the better quality was something I wanted, and no use buying another Motion Pro as it *doesn't work* so what good is it? Very disappointing they would even stoop so low to sell this tool, as the old mercury stix worked great, but that's our government keeping us safe. Also since this "precision tool" cannot be stored in freezing temps it can't be kept in the garage with the regular tools so I kept it indoors where temps ranged from around 55 to 85 degrees. That was not good enough to ensure this *tool* and I use the term loosely would be fit to be used one time. Oh well It's happily in the trash now and I await Morgan to arrive with high hopes.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Last edit: 02 Mar 2011 07:01 by RonKZ650.

• stonemaster
  • Visitor
02 Mar 2011 08:02 #434408 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
the problem with the MP is the fluid, I found a mercury manometer on a goldwing parts site for 70 bucks and that was with the adjuster tool and it works much better. I complained to MP, (and u may remember my posts on this Jeff) and they said it was my fault, I googled and found many complaints, and I tried and retried the tool and it just sucks, I have had no probs with their cables but I wont buy from them anymore because of the customer relations. They should man up and say hey sorry we made a shitty tool but given the attitude I saw that wont happen

More
02 Mar 2011 16:32 #434488 by dkmk

I bought the lower set seen in OMR's reply. I got them from Z1... They work great.

Same here, but over time I've found that the hoses have started to break down. Just a simple matter of replacing them, otherwise they work great. B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

More
08 Mar 2011 14:32 #436229 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
Update, I got the Morgan Carbtune from Beemerboneyard.com
out of NJ and it got here today. Took 6 days including the weekend, so great service there. No need to wait for shipping from England. To sum up the tool, it still uses restrictors which had me a little worried as these were crap on the motion pro tool, but these restrictors are at least sensible, clear plastic hose with a restriction similar in size to a pilot jet. The motion pro restriction was like a human hair and will not and cannot possibly work. I put the restrictors in and read about the tool which I wasn't too familier with, but basically it is 4 glass tubes with stainless steel rods that rise with vacuum. Range of reading is 8cmhg to 42cmhg and if you need lower range the tool can be hung upside down and you read from 0cmhg to 8cmhg. There is no mercury as used in the past and no colored water that the motion pro uses that evaporates and freezes. The motion pro if you're lucky enough that it does work, needs to be manually calibrated, this tool doesn't need anything. I sucked on all 4 hoses at once and I got 4 stainless steel rods rising the same height! Yay, it's going to work. I'm happy.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
08 Mar 2011 15:42 #436254 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
RonKZ650 wrote:

Update, I got the Morgan Carbtune from Beemerboneyard.com
out of NJ and it got here today. Took 6 days including the weekend, so great service there. No need to wait for shipping from England. To sum up the tool, it still uses restrictors which had me a little worried as these were crap on the motion pro tool, but these restrictors are at least sensible, clear plastic hose with a restriction similar in size to a pilot jet. The motion pro restriction was like a human hair and will not and cannot possibly work. I put the restrictors in and read about the tool which I wasn't too familier with, but basically it is 4 glass tubes with stainless steel rods that rise with vacuum. Range of reading is 8cmhg to 42cmhg and if you need lower range the tool can be hung upside down and you read from 0cmhg to 8cmhg. There is no mercury as used in the past and no colored water that the motion pro uses that evaporates and freezes. The motion pro if you're lucky enough that it does work, needs to be manually calibrated, this tool doesn't need anything. I sucked on all 4 hoses at once and I got 4 stainless steel rods rising the same height! Yay, it's going to work. I'm happy.

Right on man, and believe me, they work very well.

Occasionally a rod will stick in place at lower rpm/vacuum, dont worry - its just the placement of the unit, and they suggest to just rev the bike quickly and it works great. Rev - adjust - rev - adjust and your done.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)