Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool

More
23 Nov 2008 16:25 - 23 Nov 2008 16:27 #249027 by RonKZ650
Anybody with old mercury carbstix better keep them. I had the misfortune of my old 32 yr old carbstix falling onto the ground when the engine was running and lost all the mercury. So of course mercury is one of the stupid government dangers, so no more carbstix. However MP has the syncpro non mercury stix. I get them for around $100 on thurs last week. The way they work is similar to carbstix however a restrictor has to be placed in each rubber line. OK no problem, I was expecting a restrictor with an opening like a main jet or at least a pilot jet. Nope the restictor has a hole the size of a human hair. I think no way this piece of crap can work. I suck on all 4 lines and it actually works but all 4 show a different vacuum level. This is adjustable. You hook all 4 lines together in a 4 way T to a single line. You hook this to a single carb vacuum port and adjust the levels equal. This in theory was OK. I just kept thinking what's going to happen when the first micro fiber of dust clogs the restrictors. I go the use them for the first time today and cylinder 2 is clogged :angry: I think I can maybe clear the clog by sucking or blowing on the line. Sucking did nothing. Blowing resulted in all the liquid being drawn up the line. No way to get it to go back down by itself so remove 15 philips screws to dissassemble, then let the liquid settle. Now the liquid level is like 2/3 where it should be, where the 1/3 went is beyond me. Oh well, hook the 4 lines together to the T and start the engine. Hey it works! except the guage is reading like 95% of full scale and all 4 have gaps of air in them. Read the instructions and it says to shake the guage to fix. Shaking did nothing, so disassemble again. #2 don't have enough liquid to trust so I resort to syning 3 carbs, then the 4th. Sorry to rant, but garbage, don't buy. Did I read here somewhere how to make your own?

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.
Last edit: 23 Nov 2008 16:27 by RonKZ650.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Nov 2008 16:43 #249032 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
Is the top image the one your speaking of?

Anyone use the bottom image, Vacuum gauge set or are they not accurate enough?

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2008 16:44 #249033 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
ive got a setof of vacuam gauges i bought from j.c whitney about 20 years ago that still work!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
23 Nov 2008 16:44 - 24 Nov 2008 08:52 #249034 by Tony
If you manage to get rid of that one, this is the one I have, It works pretty good.

Here's the link to their site.
carbtune
Last edit: 24 Nov 2008 08:52 by Tony.

More
23 Nov 2008 18:28 #249048 by bill_wilcox100
Replied by bill_wilcox100 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
RonKZ650, I've used a set of gauges similar to the one in the lower pic in OMR's reply.

I've used my set for 3 seasons and I really like it. IMHO, it's clean, not messy and both easy to use and read. The results are just smooooooth.

Best of success. :)

1977 KZ650-B1 (Stock)
Upgrades:
- Dyna S Electronic Ignition (DS2-2)
- Dyna 3 Ohm Coils (DC1-1)
- Coil Repowering Mod
- Progressive Springs Front & Rear
- Saddlemen Seat Cover
- New Metallic Red Re-Paint & Repro Badges.
Montreal, Canada

More
24 Nov 2008 01:21 #249110 by fixer5000
Replied by fixer5000 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
you cant beat the price of that vacuum gauge set on z1 either. i made my own but they cost a bit more then those

1978 kz650b pretty much stock
\\\\\\\" get there fast but arrive alive \\\\\\\"
massachusetts
Attachments:

• Grantl
  • User
  • KZRider is Da Bomb!!!
More
24 Nov 2008 06:32 #249129 by Grantl
I bought the lower set seen in OMR's reply. I got them from Z1... They work great.

1981 KZ1000 CSR
1983 KZ750 Project Bike
1990 550 Zephyr
1994 KZ1000 P

More
24 Nov 2008 06:45 #249131 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
ron, I bought 2 mercury sets a while back, one to replace the set I broke, thats what happens when you borrow tools, and one for myself.
I dont think he is ever going to use the set I bought for him, I will ask next time I see if you like

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
24 Nov 2008 07:29 #249138 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
BSKZ650 wrote:

ron, I bought 2 mercury sets a while back, one to replace the set I broke, thats what happens when you borrow tools, and one for myself.
I dont think he is ever going to use the set I bought for him, I will ask next time I see if you like

Thanks, I'll buy it if it's available. Otherwise the guages at Z1 look good as well as the carbtune setup. Yes the set in the top of OMR picture in his post is the set I got that were useless.

More
24 Nov 2008 15:09 #249188 by JohNLA
I had a twin in the past I built a home made setup for. It worked fine other than being really long and unwieldy and would have been more work trying to synch my 4cyl.
On my KZ's only once have I used my Morgan Carbtune (like what Tony posted). It worked really well without problems.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
01 Mar 2011 19:03 #434299 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
I know it's been 2 years since I posted this, but just an update. After my first piece of crap set of the motion pro syncpro, motion pro agreed to send me a new set, so here's an update. Today I go to use them for the first time. As a test I suck on one tube and liquid actually rose, I suck on the next two tubes and liquid rises also, however it does not go back in the tool, so now all three tubes have a mix of liquid/air gaps at the botton 2" or so of each tube. I suck on tube #4 and get nothing. I see now all the liquid has evaporated over the last two years in tube #4 and the other 3 are now empty except for the remnants that remain in the three tubes. Don't buy this piece of utter crap. I've see crap tools, but this is the biggest crap I've ever encountered for close to $100 I didn't even get to sync one set of carbs despite having 2 different sets of this "tool". Motion Pro is all chinese junk, the entire line of product.

More
02 Mar 2011 03:34 #434380 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Crap tool alert, Motion Pro Syncpro sync tool
So this tool is crap?.... :S

I realize Andy (I think it was) had to wait some time for his unit to arrive but if you can still get a Morgan, only way to go from the various units I've had/tested....

Those analog gauges, will they work to some degree of accuracy, with some finesse or in using a higher priced set maybe but those <$100, nope not even close.

I was turned onto the Morgan by a carb tech, swore by them... Have to say, the guy was spot on with his claims...

Anyhoot, sorry the MP tool didn't work out. Thanks for the Buyer Beware tip.

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az