• Topic Author
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
07 Oct 2008 09:42 #240585 by Scrapper
When Do You????? was created by Scrapper
Do you ride in all types of weather ?

Does rain stop you from riding ?

Will you stop riding if the temperature is cold ?

Was just wondering how others handle different weather conditions. What type of gear you wear and at what point you refuse to ride!

Our SCRC chapter had it's first chilly ride on Sunday. We wore our chaps and leather jackets.

We've ridden in the worst rain conditions and also in cold weather whenever we have to. I don't normaly intentionally ride when the weather is going to be wet, but I'm prepared for it when it is. I have a set o Frog Toggs I've gone over to the "Darkside" for a rear tire that gives me all the confidence I need when I need it for wet riding, no more sliding in the turns. My old bones can't take it in really cold weather and I won't ride in snow. I've ridden in high wind, where I was almost scraping the pegs on a straight road and THAT was scary.

The tear open heat packs do just fine and last all day. We've put them in shirt pockets and down in the legs of our chaps to help keep the core temperature up. It's a good idea to carry some for emergencies.

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2008 11:36 #240606 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic When Do You?????
My home town is in the 'high desert', and it'll drop to the 30's (F) in the winter. We even get a dusting of snow once in a while. But the daytime temps will usually warm up to the 50s or 60s with lots of sunshine.
It's hard to dress for cold mornings followed by warm afternoons, so I'm either too cold in the am or too hot in the pm.
I avoid the rain when I can. It'll go for months without rain here, and the roads & highways get SUPER slick after a shower. Plus, the roads don't drain well, so you hit standing water in some spots.
I rode thru rain last weekend, and my gloves, boots, jacket, & helmet kept me pretty dry. My knees got soaked, and some water did manage to run down the back of my neck.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

More
07 Oct 2008 11:46 #240609 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic When Do You?????
I have rode in all of the above,, bout froze my ass off in the icy conditions, took half a bottle of crown and a hot bath to get warm again,, will avoid that if possible.
Rain dosent bother me, but the bike dosent like it, still chasing the wet/ bike die issues, but I have been caught in some heavy showers that pop up out of no where,

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
07 Oct 2008 12:23 - 07 Oct 2008 12:24 #240615 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic When Do You?????
I rode almost all last winter. I bought a set of heated grips (best $75 I ever spent) and they work great. I try not to ride in rain, but have gotten caught out many times. Now that temperatures are no longer an issue snow and ice are the only things that make me say NO WAY. I live in White Plains NY by the way and it gets pretty cold in the winter.
Last edit: 07 Oct 2008 12:24 by madderkaw.

More
07 Oct 2008 12:50 #240623 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic When Do You?????
I ride all year but I have always lived in Fl or SoCal. So that is not real impressive.
I did drive in the snow when I went to college in Denver.
I have Frog Toggs as well and are by far the best rain suit I have owned. They actually breathe. Lately, since my girl works close I will carpool if I know rain is coming.

I always say riding a MC is ten times better than driving a car when the weather is good but ten times worst when the weather is bad.

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles

More
07 Oct 2008 13:11 #240628 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic When Do You?????
I will avoid rain at all costs. I've gotten caught in a couple surprise bursts and it scares the hell out of me (leaning, oil on roadway, etc) Plus I'm pretty anal about my bike and rain totally goobers it up and requires hours of cleaning!;)

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
07 Oct 2008 13:15 #240629 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic When Do You?????
I try to ride all year as long as the road is ice free. My commute is 1/2 hour mostly under 50 mph and a sweatshirt, warm jacket, ski gloves and overpants work just about right. There is about 3 weeks where it gets too cold and I usually cage it.
For rain Frog Togs are good, but they run short in the legs, I find I need to buy a size larger.

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
07 Oct 2008 18:20 #240667 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic When Do You?????
I try to avoid the rain but will ride in if necessary and it rarely is too cold to ride in So Cal.

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

More
07 Oct 2008 18:59 #240679 by 77_650B1
Replied by 77_650B1 on topic When Do You?????
I avoid rain, but not to the point where I dont go out if it might rain later. If its currently raining or definitely going to pour later, I cage it, just more comfy. As for cold, here in NL right now we've got daily highs of around 10 degrees C, thats 50 for you Americans. So I'll put the bike away in a couple weeks when it gets to the point where you cant guarantee theres no ice on the road and so on. Then it'll come out again in April/May, whenever the snowmelt stops making the roads dangerous.

1977 KZ650-B1
-Dual Discs
-Dyna-S
-WG Coil Mod
-Alloy Wheels