new guy with my first question

More
30 Sep 2008 19:17 #239563 by bandit
new guy with my first question was created by bandit
about 4 years ago I acquired an 80 KZ750 LTD. it had bald tires, worn chain-sprockets, bad regulator etc.
I fixed all that in the first 2 weeks and have been riding it happily since then. its my daily commuter, grocery getter and stress reliever all rolled into one. I love it and dont think I could ever give it up.

my question is why dont I see any of these around. I see plenty of KZ1000s, a bunch of other brands and models but not a single bike like mine. is it a piece of junk that other people have wised up and scrapped? have they all been crashed? did they not sell in the first place or what?

it has just a tick over 21K miles and runs so good I am fearfull of touching anything. the carbs are virgins and i have the engine side covers to prove it. LOL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Sep 2008 19:52 #239569 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic new guy with my first question
A possibility is they are being bought and sold to people in Europe who want a goodlooking strong bike that's different from the sports bikes.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
30 Sep 2008 20:09 #239572 by JR
Replied by JR on topic new guy with my first question
Now that you mention it I dont think I've ever seen a 750 LTD. :) I also dont think I've ever seen a 750 E1 like my own. :) But rest assured ..Junk they are not. These things are great. Lots of power and a reliable bullettproof engine. Mine has 65,000km on it which I think is maybe 40,000 miles.
Apeman in SF has a 750/4 with over a 100,000 miles on it but I cant remember if its an E or an LTD.

Welcome to the forum. Show us a pic.

Cheers

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
30 Sep 2008 20:15 #239574 by Sandy
Replied by Sandy on topic new guy with my first question
Welcome Bandit!

Years ago,I knew a guy here in my area who had a 750 LTD,and I could tell by looking through the crappy custom work that had been done to it,that it WAS a nice-looking bike at one time.
It had been chopped up,neglected,and abused when he got it,and he tried to bring it back to life with a shine,but it needed a lot more than that.
Too bad though,because they ARE nice-looking bikes,if you can get one in decent shape,and then just KEEP it in decent shape.

Pics!!:woohoo:

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
01 Oct 2008 01:33 #239591 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic new guy with my first question
I don't know where you live but that may have something to do with it...I live in the greater Houston region and I have only seen 3 KZ650's, 3 KZ1000's and a KZ1300 on the road (in FOUR years)...I suspect that there just aren't many of these old KZ's out there...there appears to be more 'for sale' in more northern climates...and I saw more old KZ's on the road in Florida during three years there...and these were all brought down by people moving to Florida (from up north).

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

More
01 Oct 2008 04:51 #239597 by steell
Replied by steell on topic new guy with my first question
Not a lot of old KZ's on the road period.

locally, KZ900, KZ650, and a KZ1000 are the only ones I see often (1 of each), gazillions of cruisers, bunches of sportbikes, but few pre 1990 bikes. I did see a streetfightered CBX the other day, but he turned and got away before I could get turned around to catch up and talk to him. First streetfightered CBX I've ever seen, and it was sharp!

79 750 twin, 79 KZ650SR with 83 GPz750 motor, 85 GPz750 Turbo, and 80 KZ750E project in the garage/shop.

KD9JUR

More
01 Oct 2008 06:01 #239613 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic new guy with my first question
for some reason you dont see too many kzs on the road, I ride mine, I know of a couple of others in the area.
The upside is, its one hell of a conversation item when you stop for gas, also nothing like walking off from one of the harley customs, for some reason they think they can out run me,,,lmao,,not!!!

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
01 Oct 2008 07:26 #239622 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic new guy with my first question
Funny that things should be that way with old KZ's in your area. Calgary is absolutely full of 'em. I, personally, know 4 guys that have 650's (one of these guys is on this board and also owns a 1000ST), 1 guy that has a 550LTD, a friend of mine owns a KZ900 (and also has a KZ1000 project bike), another guy with an absolutely mint Z1B, 2 other guys with KZ1000 standards, a gal with an absolutely gorgeous 81 or 82 KZ750 standard, etc, etc.
In the salvage yard I work at, we currently have for sale as project bikes:
KZ750 Twin w/belt drive...nice looking bike but needs some engine work....probably cam chain/tensioner stuff
KZ750LTD, I believe an 82 or 83 with the swoopy tank and side cover decals.
GPZ750, 83 or 84 with the dash on top of the tank... complete but rough. I've been looking at this as a possible cafe project candidate. It would be a good starting point, I believe. Well, we'll see...
Sooooo, there are a lotta KZ's in Cowtown, no doubt about it....and these are only the ones I can think of off the top of my head.

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

More
01 Oct 2008 19:31 #239733 by bandit
Replied by bandit on topic new guy with my first question
JR wrote:

Now that you mention it I dont think I've ever seen a 750 LTD. :) I also dont think I've ever seen a 750 E1 like my own. :) But rest assured ..Junk they are not. These things are great. Lots of power and a reliable bullettproof engine. Mine has 65,000km on it which I think is maybe 40,000 miles.
Apeman in SF has a 750/4 with over a 100,000 miles on it but I cant remember if its an E or an LTD.

Welcome to the forum. Show us a pic.

Cheers

is that "SF" referring to San Francisco or Sioux Falls SD. I live in the latter.

I can post some pics soon but keep in mind it is no show-stopper. it has led a neglected life until I got it. this winter I plan to tear it all down and do a total restore. paint the frame and plastic. reseal the engine. clean and polish the case and chrome. replace bearings throughout the whole thing. fabricate a mount for my Windjammer III. restore the fairing. etc. etc. I have my work cut out for me huh?

a few years ago I bought a windshield from a guy on Ebay who has some really nice looking KZs and I am stoked to do the same.

More
01 Oct 2008 19:39 #239734 by JR
Replied by JR on topic new guy with my first question
is that "SF" referring to San Francisco or Sioux Falls SD. I live in the latter.

San Francisco

Check the Gallery. There are some nice ones there.

Mine is no show stopper eithe. I have a copule of dents in the tank but who's looking at cosmetics while riding. Its best to keep eyes on the road :laugh:

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust