anyone ever built a...

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Who put the what in the where?
More
22 Sep 2008 08:44 #238182 by hardr0ck68
anyone ever built a... was created by hardr0ck68
very large go-kart or dune buggy? I have been seeing these "cheap" chinese 250 go karts advertised and I have been thinking a 2 seater go kart built around the 600 katana engine I have layin around would be a blast...

but where is a good place to start? maybe buy a sprint car frame and have it widened? a scratch build frame would be expensive... any easy (ish) way to add reverse to a motorcycle engine? some kind of secondary gear box...

blah, it would probably be to expensive and time consuming... just the thought of bombing around the logging trails at 10,000 revs gives me wood though (no pun intended)

anyone noodled this idea before?

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Sep 2008 09:03 #238184 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic anyone ever built a...
i used to help a guy bild dwarf cars back in the early 90s,biggest thing is a good tubing bender a mig welder and a tape measure.

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
22 Sep 2008 10:44 #238201 by littlemanonbigbike
Replied by littlemanonbigbike on topic anyone ever built a...
600 Katana engine?? Damn!! My younger brother built a go- cart a few years back that had a 440 rotax 2 cylinder snowmobile engine on it that was just plain scary. Even after he burnt one piston it would still get up and go. :woohoo: :woohoo:

1982 1100 Spectre
Various other toys

• tachrev
  • User
  • Rubber Side Goes Down
More
22 Sep 2008 11:34 #238205 by tachrev
Replied by tachrev on topic anyone ever built a...
It would be best to start with a go-cart with front and rear brakes for an engine with that much power.

My friend built a briggs 5hp racing cart with a XR200 engine...it was fun, but the single rear disc brake was border-line for what it was capable of.

That engine probably put out 13-15 hp on a good day, and weight significantly less.

1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 : Street/Strip
Build Thread

More
22 Sep 2008 14:21 #238221 by jordan
Replied by jordan on topic anyone ever built a...
some guys built a gsxr1100 go kart. Many videos of it on youtube

KZ810 streetfighter kz/gpz/gsxr
1983 gs1100e
1979 KZ 1000 1428 dragbike project
1974 kawasaki H1 500 sold :(
1972 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1973 Kawasaki s2 350-parted on ebay :(
1982 kz750(sold)
1978 kz650 hardtail(sold)
1975 honda xl250-sold
1971 yamaha R5-sold
1982 yamaha xs400

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2008 19:52 #238263 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic anyone ever built a...
I guess what I am looking for is something a bit more like this...

www.nitrostreet.com/gocart.html

more like a dune buggy I would imagine, however where I am from the only dune buggies I have seen are fiberglass bathtub things with a vw motor in them...

the gsxr1100 motored beast while amusing on tarmac, would not be so much fun on our old rutted up logging trails, I need something with suspension.

hurmmmm

1977 kz650 c1

bought it because I was told it would never run again...I like to prove people wrong.

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
23 Sep 2008 21:02 #238413 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic anyone ever built a...
There are plenty of sand rails around which are pipe frames and VW engines and I've seen plenty of the "tub buggies" too.

I've got a 3 speed rear end with reverse off an old Massey or Case lawn tractor and the 18" tires. I wanted to use that for a base and bolt c/v shafts to the four hole mounts then fab up a tubular frame with long/short arm suspension to mount the tire hubs to. I can upload pics if needed.

It's mostly likely to be a good relation ship with a salvage yard. I think you can use the rear end out of a late 90's t-bird for a self contained drive/suspension unit. It's a pumpkin with c/v shafts coming out, but you need a shaft drive and then you also have no reverse.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• hardr0ck68
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
24 Sep 2008 08:25 #238457 by hardr0ck68
Replied by hardr0ck68 on topic anyone ever built a...
the reverse would just be the icing on the cake, I remember having a sled and wishing I had reverse when I would hit something.... guess without a reverse I will just need to drive more carefully...(no hitting trees or getting into mudddddd )

I would want to go two seats, cause whats the fun iffin my friends can't mess their pants as well? and hell I would even like to ride shotgun myself....

The more I think about it, the more I think the 600cc class frame my old man has would be my best bet (cut it in half and add an extra 18" or so). maybe try to build independent suspension (or just go so fast traction is not necessary...)

my kz650 is almost on the road so I am in need of a new project...

1977 kz650 c1