Cold Weather Commuting

More
15 Apr 2008 00:40 #206573 by seanof30306
Cold Weather Commuting was created by seanof30306
I'm in the process of switching to my bike as my daily commuter. I know the cold weather is, for the most part, over for this year, but there are still some chilly nights ahead, and I want to be ready for next year, too.

My ride/drive to work is 16 miles, 1 way; about 2 miles on surface streets, and 14 on the highway. I go in at 5pm, and leave at 2am.

After doing some research, I bought a FirstGear Kilimanjaro jacket, and some gauntlet gloves.

Without the detachable fleece liner, the Kilimanjaro is good to about 60 degrees. Anything under that, and it starts to get uncomfortable (with street clothes underneath).

With the liner, it's very comfortable in colder weather, although it does leak cold air around the waist/small of the back (anyone know what to do about that?). I've ridden in temperatures as cold as 30, with street clothes underneath the jacket, and didn't start really getting uncomfortably cold until 35 or below. If I were to wear warmer clothing underneath the jacket, and figure out how to inhibit the air leaking in from the bottom, I think the jacket would be good in temperatures well into the 20s, maybe even the teens.

My helmet leaks a lot of air, even with the chin vent and the two forehead vents closed. It starts to get uncomfortable at temperatures under 45, and is downright miserable at 35 and under. I was thinking the air was leaking in past the vents, even though they're closed, or around the edges of the shield, but I was talking to a neigbor today, who said it was more likely leaking in from underneath, and I could get a gator which attaches to the bottom lip of the helmet and covers my neck. I'm not so sure. I ride with my head pitched a little downward, just to inhibit air leaking in from the bottom, and I don't feel the cold on the underside of my chin. I feel the air swirling on my cheeks and lower forehead, and it gets cold!

My big problem is my legs. I wear a uniform at work, and the wind cuts right through those uniform pants. I know I could wear long johns or pajama bottoms underneath the pants and be warmer, but then I'd either have to change out of them when i get to work, or keep them on all night, which would get pretty warm. I was wondering if chaps might work. They'd be easy to take on and off, and I think the problem is definitely the wind, more so than the cold. When I get home at night, it's the front of my legs that are like blocks of ice, not the backs.

Ideally, I'm looking for a solution that protects me in temperatures from 50 to 35 degrees. Anything below that, and I'm either driving the car, or wearing long underwear. I want the solution to be as simple as possible, too. I know I can buy a full riding suit, but that's more bulky and cumbersome than I want, and climbing in and out of it would be a pain. That's another reason why chaps seem to be a good solution, at least in my mind.

Does anyone have any advice?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Apr 2008 03:52 #206589 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Cold Weather Commuting
I commuted here in NY almost all winter. My trip is similar to yours about 25 miles, 20 highway, 5 city. I bought 3 things that made it possible. First, and most important, is heated hand grips. I got a set of removable heaters that attach with velcro around your regular grips. Without a doubt the best $75 I ever spent. They keep your hands hot, in fact they are called Oxford Hot Hands and they mean it. I also bought an electric vest and chaps from Widder. I wore the vest almost always in the cold and the chaps I only used when it was extra cold. They keep you comfortable and warm . I rode in temps well into the 20's without problems. I could not really say I was warm, but I was not uncomfortable. It's hard to describe it, because you know it's very cold out, but you don't feel cold. Anyway, I would recommend these things to anybody who wants to ride in the cold. Just remember, it is cold, your tires are cold, and the road is cold. Traction is in much shorter supply in cold weather, especially on an older bike.

More
15 Apr 2008 04:08 - 15 Apr 2008 04:27 #206599 by seanof30306
Replied by seanof30306 on topic Cold Weather Commuting
Thanks for the response. When you weren't wearing the chaps, what did you do to keep your legs warm?

Also, did you experience the same cold air leaking in your helmet that I did?

"That @#$%!!! KZ650"
79 KZ650 B3
Dual front disc brakes
Z1R 18" front wheel
Pumper carbs w/pods
MAC 4-1 w/ drilled-out baffle
Dyna S ignition w/ Dyna Green coils
WG coil mod
'81 CSR charging system
17/41 gearing
Last edit: 15 Apr 2008 04:27 by seanof30306.

More
15 Apr 2008 05:52 #206625 by madderkaw
Replied by madderkaw on topic Cold Weather Commuting
I wear long johns usually. I work outside most of the time so it's no problem to wear them all day. My helmet was pretty good too. It's a fairly new Z1R, and sealed up pretty well.

More
15 Apr 2008 08:19 - 15 Apr 2008 17:02 #206649 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Cold Weather Commuting
Based on experience :)

A scarf wrapped around your neck with the ends tucked into the jacket works really well for keeping the cold out of your helmet.

If you are caught out unprepared in the cold, newspaper unfolded and covering your chest under your jacket does an excellent job of keeping you warm.

I had to do a 650 mile ride back home in a winter storm one time, didn't have cold weather gear with me, just blue jeans, shirt, jacket, gloves, and boots, on a naked bike.
I wrapped newspaper around my legs under the jeans and duct taped the bottom of the jeans to my boots, wrapped newspaper around my upper torso over my shirt and put the jacket on over it, then duct taped the bottom of the jacket to my pants. Borrowed a scarf and wrapped in around my neck under my helmet.
The I cut a bleach bottle in half and used hose clamps to fasten it to my handlebars for handguards.

It still wasn't a pleasurable ride, but I made it with only a mild case of hypothermia (I have had serious hypothermia more than once).

I was a lot younger then :D

KD9JUR
Last edit: 15 Apr 2008 17:02 by steell.

More
15 Apr 2008 15:20 #206727 by dkmk
Replied by dkmk on topic Cold Weather Commuting
I bought the waterproof JR Ballistic Jacket/pants, with the zip out liner. I was surprised that they actually are almost waterproof. Usually the rain gets deflected so your crotch area is slightly damp, but not bad considering. If it is close to freezing, I wear a microfiber rain jacket which can be cinched at the waist, and a pair of nylon wind pants.
Under the helmet is a polypropylene balaclava which I use under the snowmobile helmet, which can be tucked in around the neck, and is also quite warm. Next is a good pair of heavy waterproof leather gloves, with a Thinsulate liner.

I like riding in cold weather, since these old air-cooled engines, though they might be a little temperamental to start, once running they just want to fly!!!B)

Northern Ontario
Zapp: "Kif, I'm feeling the Captain's Itch."
Kif: "I'll get the powder, sir."

• love2ride
  • User
  • Ngati Tumatauenga
More
15 Apr 2008 15:52 #206731 by love2ride
Replied by love2ride on topic Cold Weather Commuting
I commute 100 miles round trip on the Ninja 250 year round.

I have the Firstgear Thermo Suit, can layer underneath if needed. Awesome down into the 20's.

Balaclava does wonders under the helmet.

Heated grips, with Hippo Hands when it gets really cold.

Insulated boots and wool socks are good for the 45 minute ride. Should be no problems with a shorter ride.

Newport News, Va
2006 Ninja 250 - Commuter
1978 KZ1000 - Not even close to stock.

More
15 Apr 2008 18:45 #206771 by JohNLA
Replied by JohNLA on topic Cold Weather Commuting
Pffff, cold weather is nothing;)
Try 30 degrees and heavy fog. Fog so bad you can't use your face shield. So your face gets so cold even a baklava(face mask) does not help. Then once at work you can't let them see you shivering because the cold shouldn't bother a tough biker:blush:

s49.photobucket.com/albums/f255/JohNLA_photo/1983%20GPZ%20550/
83 GPZ 550 Stock with 3600 miles_83s.
83 GPZ 550 4-1,pods,Mikuni 36,000 + miles