Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles

More
05 Apr 2008 12:20 #204444 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles
i would say clean it, flush the engine out 3 times with oil, and after you get it running pour a third of a quart of transmission fluid to get the last remaining tar out, run it hot, and change the oil.

get some mothers aluminium polish for the aluminum

some never dull for the chrome

some final inspection for the plastic - armor all is a bit too overboard and people will think its a fake.

and get some hand rubbing compound for the paint

dont forget to shoot us a link of the auction. ;)

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
05 Apr 2008 13:01 #204451 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles
kawisteve wrote:

Okay, sorry, I don't get on here as much as I would like, but finally got back to look over what you all have said. So...Now that you have looked at it, I will ask the original question again. Should we clean it up and get it running, not a problem, we have a shop, or as true Kawasaki fans, do you think it should be left alone. If the final outcome of cleaning it up first is going to bring in more $$$, then that is what will happen. If it was my bike, the money wouldn't matter, there would be no question, it would stay in my garage, but sadly it isn't mine and I am only trying to help my Uncle get the most he can out of it. I appreciate everything I have read so far, it has helped.

Steve I'll say it again, this bike is a tough one to call. I think if it were mine and this is depending on what you had to pay for the bike, I would figure out what kind of profit I would be happy with, add it to the cost then list it on ebay with the total amount (cost plus desired profit) being my reserve.

I think Steell is pretty much on the money with his estimate of $2000.00 to $2500.00 as it sits. As for what you are going to have in it if you try to restore it, that is anyone's guess. Unless you actually take the leap and decide that's the route you want to go you will never know. It might be a really cheap easy resto or it could turn into a real money pit in which case a quick flip would have been the smart thing to do.

The other thing you have to look at is what are your labor costs? I can easily see having to put 50 hours of time minimum in that bike getting it back to primo condition and that is just for cosmetics.

I would look at it as a case of plan A or plan B. Plan A being the quick flip as is. If that doesn't work then think about doing plan B restoring it to all it can be.

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
05 Apr 2008 16:14 #204478 by Locozuna
Replied by Locozuna on topic Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles
They didn't come with case savers did they? He got those on fast enough! Hmmmmm.......:huh:

KZ900LTD, KZ750LTD, KZ650, 72'Triumph Trident
"Over the Mountains
Of the Moon,
Down the Valley of the Shadow,
Ride, boldly ride,"
The shade replied
"If you seek for Eldorado!"

More
05 Apr 2008 20:21 #204515 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles
Locozuna wrote:

They didn't come with case savers did they? He got those on fast enough! Hmmmmm.......:huh:

Dealer installed option?

I know you could buy a brand new 79 KZ750 twin with dealer installed option Morris Mag wheels,

KD9JUR

More
05 Apr 2008 21:13 #204520 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles
Sell it as is.
Think about what "The Gringo" said; it could go either way, but if it's a money pit, you won't be able to go back. Don't get passionate about bikes that you want to sell...you'll go broke turning out "really nice bikes".
Think about it, you in it to keep it, or you in it for a profit...there is a sure way to make a profit, and an risky way to maybe make more.

-KR

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
06 Apr 2008 19:23 #204670 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Pics 82 KZ1000 22 miles
Hmmmm....a real toughie here....but I vote with the Gringo as to pricing for Ebay purposes.

Steve I'll say it again, this bike is a tough one to call. I think if it were mine and this is depending on what you had to pay for the bike, I would figure out what kind of profit I would be happy with, add it to the cost then list it on ebay with the total amount (cost plus desired profit) being my reserve.

As to Plan A (sell as-is) or Plan B (get running/cleaned properly) that's a real head scratcher. I tend toward the Plan A scenario and let the new owner do his own resto. The guys that are going to be left bidding at the end of the auction would PROBABLY prefer to have it that way anyway because they'll be serious collectors who are used to doing that kind of work.

My .02 worth....

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.