Bordering on dumb question

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
06 Apr 2008 19:51 #204675 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic Bordering on dumb question
The only dumb questions are the questions that never get asked.
Your ignorance of bikes is a fixable condition because you are willing to ask and learn. Great !!! You're already ahead of the learning curve.
If the collective knowledge of this board can't solve your KZ problems then you will have stumped the biggest KZ brain trust on the planet....and I don't think that will ever happen.:laugh: B) ;)

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Apr 2008 12:18 #204809 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Bordering on dumb question
I must say I like Dan's motorcycle repair course.
Worth bookmarking

www.dansmc.com/

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
07 Apr 2008 17:51 #204863 by stallau
Replied by stallau on topic Bordering on dumb question
Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like the digital camera idea, the pictures in my mind never are quite as clear when the days go by.

I have both the Clymer and Haynes manuals. I bought the haynes because the clymer didn't have the oil capacity listed in it and I didn't feel like guessing. So I have two questions.

1) How do you get comfortable knowing that your work won't come unbolted while cruising down the road (usually without you knowing it happened)

2) Would getting the manual from Kawasaki add info or graphics that would be worth the expense?

More
07 Apr 2008 18:14 #204868 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Bordering on dumb question
the same way you know the work the mechanic that you paid to work on your bike wont leave you stranded,double check everything!the last time i ever paid a shop to do any major repair work for me years ago(front end rebuild)left me in an unbelievable tank slapper at around 100mph on a bridge over the missouri river!:unsure: :ohmy: :huh: :dry: :blink: :S :blush: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: somehow managed to close my eyes and stay off the brakes long enough to pull it out of my arse and slow it down before stopping on side of road looking for my heart!:laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Apr 2008 20:47 - 20 Dec 2011 04:12 #204907 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic a
a

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 20 Dec 2011 04:12 by KZ250LTD.

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
07 Apr 2008 22:03 #204919 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic Bordering on dumb question
Confidence in your mechanical abilities comes with experience. Get the manual and take a whack at it. If your not sure ask someone on here and they will very kindly let you know. That's one of my favorite parts about this site is that everyone is so respectful. I am only 21 but I started wrenching when i found an old lawnmower in the back of a shed when I was 12. After I tore it apart and tried to put it back together it didn't work. Several broken, rebuilt, and later modified, Briggs and stratton engines later I know them like the back of my hand. Of course those engines are incredibly simple versions of of motorcycle engines I got the idea now and can confidently work on motorcycles.

Some things I have learned over the years.

1. Always put bolts back into there holes as your disassembling.
2. Keep your tools, parts and shop clean. Everything is just so much easier this way.
3. Try and find a picture of what to expect inside of whatever your working on first.
4. Trust your instincts. If it doesn't feel right there is a reason. If that bolt is hard to turn in make sure its not cross threaded, if it seems like its not fitting maybe its because there is something in the way.
5. Ask questions. Lots and lots of questions. Ask questions until people get tired of answering them and tell you to stop.
6. Allow for twice as much time as you think it will take. This way you can take your time and still feel good about getting done ahead of schedule. :)
7. If its broken or going be broken shortly do it right and fix it.
8. If it ain't broke don't screw with it. (My personal must broken rule)
9. Finally, double check everything.

Hopefully that helps get you started.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

More
08 Apr 2008 04:33 #204947 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Bordering on dumb question
stallau wrote:

Thanks for the suggestions. I especially like the digital camera idea, the pictures in my mind never are quite as clear when the days go by.

You're quite welcome. :) I wish I could say it was my original idea, but it's not.

1) How do you get comfortable knowing that your work won't come unbolted while cruising down the road (usually without you knowing it happened)

Get thee a pair of torque wrenches. One will do foot-pounds for the big stuff like axle bolts and the other, smaller, will do inch-pounds for the more delicate fasteners. The latter is important because you want the fastener tight enough, but you don't want to over tighten a steel bolt into aluminum threads. Doing so will result in becoming familiar with another tool--the heli-coil kit. :S

2) Would getting the manual from Kawasaki add info or graphics that would be worth the expense?

Yes, yes. While three manuals may seem confusing, you'll have three ways of looking at a given procedure, each from a different point of view. You'll also be secure in the knowledge that if there is a conflict of info, the factory manual is the final word.

Knowledge is power. B)

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )