Saab

More
29 Feb 2008 19:39 #197644 by 01brian
Replied by 01brian on topic Saab
I'm with these guys...I just recently got to ride in a 65 Cobra replicar with a 351 built to 400 hp. He opened it up through 4 gears and I think it could/might take my bike, depending on traction... 265 in a slab nothing...that is a little bit over what I have in my monte carlo and I would not even think about racing a bike...But be CAREFULL! So many darn fools out there ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
29 Feb 2008 19:48 #197648 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Saab
I'm not defending the '95 Saab which I know a 650 could easily handle but some of these newer V6's are running in the 13's and a few V8's are in the 12's. Just be careful taking on some of these newer cars! :whistle:

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
29 Feb 2008 20:14 #197663 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Saab
Personally, before I'd go challenging anyone to a race, I'd have to learn how to properly launch off the line. As someone who's never done it, I presume that besides reflexes as quick as a cat, one needs to know what RPM to try to start at. I'd guess that a wheelie and/or a rear spin aren't desired at the launch.

Once it gets to 8500 RPM or so I can shift rather quick. :silly:

As I've gotten older and somewhat wiser I've learned to stay away from testosterone filled events.

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
29 Feb 2008 22:25 #197678 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Saab
N0NB wrote:

As I've gotten older and somewhat wiser I've learned to stay away from testosterone filled events.

i do know it's rather stupid to race on any city streets so i guess i should modify my first reply.

on a sanctioned race track only.

and for my second point,
your never to old to relive your childhood.

do it safe and by the rules and just spank him.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
05 Mar 2008 08:53 #198517 by CptEDIV
Replied by CptEDIV on topic Saab
Sorry it took so long to get back to this: we are supposed to meet in about two weeks at the track and do the quarter mile, hes having a problem with his turbo and won't take it to the track yet. Meanwhile I'm practicin' my starts without goin on one wheel. Any advice for this?

1979 KZ 650 D2 \"Midnight\" blue.

More
05 Mar 2008 09:06 #198523 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Saab
slip your clutch coming off line till it starts rolling,dont dump the clutch.let a little bit of air out of rear tire,supertune your bike,get your bike warmed up to temp before you run it,set the rear shocks on the limpest setting you can but leave the frontend up higher this will give you a little more rake in frontend which will help at high speeds in a straight line and will help lower your center of gravity,only run about half a tank or less of fuel(less weight)......;)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
05 Mar 2008 09:09 #198524 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Saab
Find an rpm where you can take off on the street and let completely go of the clutch and not bring the wheel up too much. Soon as the bike is moving and you let the clutch out just keep it floored and floor him! I can take off on the street with one smooth motion, not as in a holeshot, but as in smooth. As long as you get that smooth start, it'll be like a merge on the highway for ya..

More
05 Mar 2008 09:56 #198532 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Saab
Tuck in; wind resistance is your enemy. Be sure to leave any excess weight (tool kit, cell phone, ex-wife, etc.) with a friend and if you're shaped like me and have time, shave off a few pounds by laying off the big-Macs & beer (if that's possible) until after you're clobbered the Saab.

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
05 Mar 2008 10:04 #198536 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Saab
I found this: www.saabing.com/board/viewtopic.php?p=326 , and if a 15.8 quarter is the best he can do, you should be able to stop for a lunch break halfway down the track.
Good lord. 15.8! I think my moms '74 Oldsmobile Vista Cruiser station wagon could do better than that.

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2008/03/05 13:05

More
05 Mar 2008 11:15 #198545 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Saab
Just remember that launching on the street is very different than on the track. If you dump the clutch on the street your tire will spin. The track is very sticky so if you dump the clutch you will end up on you arse. Keep your RPMs up, slip the clutch and whoop his tail

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.