Helmets?

More
21 Nov 2007 23:48 #182147 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Helmets?
I've seen a few.
Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Nov 2007 06:37 #182171 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic Helmets?
One of my good friends has a 883 Sportster upgraded to a 1200 and he always wears a full-face helmet.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
More
22 Nov 2007 06:51 #182173 by Biquetoast
Replied by Biquetoast on topic Helmets?
JR wrote:

While on the subject of helmets................has anyone ever seen a HD rider wearing a full face helmet ?
I dont think I ever have. Is there some law which says it's uncool ?

My brother (Harley rider) used to hear a full-faced. But for some reason, he got an old-school open-face helmet. You know, the non-vented, open-face, snaps for a plastic visor, harldley padded. He couldn't quite bring himself to get a beanie... but its just as bad... I guess its to be cool...

Once I saw a V-Rod rider with a full-face, but that's about it....

(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

More
22 Nov 2007 07:14 #182178 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Helmets?
Mark Wing wrote:

Get a good one that fits right and wear it. You never know when you'll need it to save your life.
Mark

I agree Mark, mine was a AGV, worked great and did it's job. A helmet is a personal choise of design, color, etc. Always wear it, as you can see by our pic's we are still here today because of them!!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

More
23 Nov 2007 05:12 #182265 by Bad Kaw
Replied by Bad Kaw on topic Helmets?
Almost hate to "go there" on this, but the 'Wing-man' (Mark Wing) makes a goooooooooood point: find a comfy one that you will wear and wear it.
I've been in the industry since I was a kid (literally) born into a bike shop and I hate to preach, but after years of helping people get the 'right' bike, 'right' helmet, 'right' tires, or whatever, and after having read a ton of stuff and having experienced as much as I possibly could over 39 years of riding and racing ... it seems to boil down to this: buy one that you will wear and f-ing wear it. Studies haven't proven that any helmet is more protective than any other; except that the one on your head does better at protecting your head than the one strapped to the back of your seat...for some strange reason...:blink:

My moto (it's old school, so some will recognize it) is "Got a $10 head?...wear a $10 helmet." :lol: And I always personally recommend not skimping on (1) tires and (2) helmets...just my thoughts.

78 Kawasaki Z1R
81 Kawasaki KZ1000J (mods)
82 Kawasaki ELR Clone (1000 J)
82 Kawasaki KZ750R1/GPz750 ELR-ed
70 Kawasaki KV75
83 Honda CB1100F (few mods)
79 Suzuki GS1000 (rolling frame / project / junk)
84 Suzuki GS1150ES (modified project)
83 Yamaha XJ900R (project / junk)

More
23 Nov 2007 06:21 - 03 Dec 2008 07:04 #182286 by JMKZHI
Replied by JMKZHI on topic .
del
Last edit: 03 Dec 2008 07:04 by JMKZHI.

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
23 Nov 2007 07:14 #182303 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Helmets?
JR wrote:

While on the subject of helmets................has anyone ever seen a HD rider wearing a full face helmet ?

I see the same few HD and metric cruiser riders every day during my commute that wear full face helmets.

Everyone one in the club my wife and I belong to own cruisers (Hondas, HD's, Kaw's, etc.), yet my wife and I are the only members that always wear full face helmets (one other member will wear his when he's on the freeway, but will switch to his "beanie helmet" on surface streets. Guess it makes flirting easier? :huh:)

BadKaw:

The "$10 head" was an ad by Bell helmets from back in the day when I worked at a Kawi dealer. Funny (yet oh so true) stuff! :laugh:

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ

More
23 Nov 2007 08:51 #182321 by Bad Kaw
HEEEEEEY! Somebody remembers! Cool! :lol:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

More
23 Nov 2007 17:27 #182386 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Helmets?
RetroRiceRocketRider wrote:

JR wrote:

I see the same few HD and metric cruiser riders every day during my commute that wear full face helmets.

Everyone one in the club my wife and I belong to own cruisers (Hondas, HD's, Kaw's, etc.), yet my wife and I are the only members that always wear full face helmets (one other member will wear his when he's on the freeway, but will switch to his "beanie helmet" on surface streets. Guess it makes flirting easier? :huh:)

The fact that you guys do see some HD riders with full face helmets is telling me that US riders must be a bit more safety concious than those up here. I have never ever ever seen a full face helmet on a HD rider. The norm is one of those ridiculous little beanies.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
23 Nov 2007 20:38 #182407 by Bad Kaw
I guess I probably need to chime in here. Here in Kansas I see several; they're still strongly out-numbered by the helmetless, but I've sent several thru my MSF-based rider training and of those who have taken my class most wear some form of helmet. But the shop owner and his wife are helmet wearing people. Good for the industry, those two (they've graced the cover of Motorcycle Dealer News...like it matters, I know, but I think it's cool).

Anyway, they're not all fashion-before-functionposers...just most of 'em, eh? :lol:

78 Kawasaki Z1R
70 Kawasaki KV75

• RetroRiceRocketRider
  • User
  • ...bring in the machine that goes PING!
More
24 Nov 2007 07:37 #182439 by RetroRiceRocketRider
Replied by RetroRiceRocketRider on topic Helmets?
JR wrote:

The fact that you guys do see some HD riders with full face helmets is telling me that US riders must be a bit more safety concious than those up here. I have never ever ever seen a full face helmet on a HD rider. The norm is one of those ridiculous little beanies.

Well, I wouldn't go that far in saying that we're all safety concious here in the US. I'd say about 95% of the cruiser riders I see are wearing the minimalist "beanie" helmets. The ones who wear full face helmets are the ones who catch my attention, becuase it's completely out of the norm.
Not every state has a helmet requirement law, so the stats for "X" state vs "Y" state will vastly vary also.

For example, here in Calif (primarily So Calif for this particular example) the helmet law has been in effect for roughly about 20 years. Since most drivers/riders here are more concerned of what they drive/ride and how they look (think Hollywood), safety is rarely factored into the equation.

HD and other cruiser styled bikes create the vision of being rebelious, wild and free ("Wild Hogs" unfortunately has added to this mystique).
So in keeping with the rebelious image, cruiser riders defend being "told what to do/wear" by going the extreme and wearing the most minimal thing they can get away with - DOT approved "beanie" helmets.
There are a few in our club who wear the novelty (non-DOT approved) helmets since they can be bought for less than $30, and I know there are thousands of other riders out there who do the same.
I imagine these are the same riders who as kids rebelled against their parents when told to eat your veggies because they're good for you, and sit up straight or you'll ruin your posture. :whistle:

It all comes down to choice.
And my choice is to always wear a full face helmet, regardless if it looks like a basketball on top of a toothpick. :laugh:

I know I totally ran away from the orignal subject matter concerning helmet fitment, and I appologize. :S

Covina, So Calif!
78 KZ650-B2 = SOLD
84 ZN700 LTD = SOLD
84 ZX750 GPz = SOLD
89 GSX1100F Katana = SLEEPING :-/
20 VN1700 Vulcan Vaquero (the Blue Cowboy)
Looking for my next project KZ