Helmets?

More
21 Nov 2007 04:06 #181978 by circusnuts
Replied by circusnuts on topic Helmets?
For me it's the Arai full face helmet (like that one the best).

They make a model (used to be called Signet) that is for mellon heads like me. I had an HJC for offroad and it was as you said -- fit my head, but was too big.

Also, keep in mind the highest percentage of head-based impact injuries are on the right jaw/cheap area (13% I believe) -- so go with a good full face -- and white is the most viewable -- safest -- color at all times of the day.

And don't be afraid to purchase a helmets that approaches $500 range. You already have experience with the cheaper ones (yes, there is a huge diff.)

Post edited by: circusnuts, at: 2007/11/21 07:08

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Nov 2007 04:19 #181981 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Helmets?
I sware by "Sipson" I have had Shoy, Araii, HJC, Bell and the only helmet that is any good is Simpson. All insides are replaceable. It is made out of modern light wate composits and not of these cheep so called high impact plastics. If they are good enough for the PROS they shure are good enough for me. The prices varie from inexpensive to very expensive. That part is up to you.Theck out this link and review. I have never had a helmet that fits better. This is the helmet model which I own and it is quite inexpensive. (mine is gray in color)
www.simpsonraceproducts.com/company/pr_032305.aspx

Post edited by: otakar, at: 2007/11/21 07:22

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
21 Nov 2007 05:01 #181986 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Helmets?
to me the fit is more important than the style, I have a half shell, nice when its real hot just dont like the wind noise. the open face is good for wind noise it just dosent fit just right, a bit loose after I used it several times kind of like the padding seated in.
the full face fits the best but the padding has started to fall apart time for a replacement

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
21 Nov 2007 05:19 #181988 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Helmets?
i don't care what i look like with my helmet on.
the next one i buy will not be black again!
hotter then hell in the summer.
i need a full face.
this face is much to beautiful, i know a few harley guys where it won't matter if they skid down the street on their face.
i am much to pretty to destroy god's artwork :laugh:

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

More
21 Nov 2007 06:23 #181997 by Rich
Replied by Rich on topic Helmets?
I'm riding with a Scorpion EXO 400 helmet now. I like it pretty well, tried on several for fit and took it home for around $140. I'm sure more expensive helmets can be more comfortable and quieter, but I question whether they'll really protect you any better, mine has the Snell certification, so it's as good as it gets protection wise. Maybe someday I'll spend the money on a really nice one.

I agree that full face is the only way to go. One summer I bought a half helmet when it was too hot (so I thought) to wear a full face. I stopped wearing it shortly after and won't wear it again. I kind of like having all my teeth and it's just more comfortable not to eat bugs and dust anyway.

More
21 Nov 2007 10:25 #182025 by Grebnaws Inc.
Replied by Grebnaws Inc. on topic Helmets?
I've been riding with a Titanium colored EXO-400 for a couple months now. It replaced my Icon Alliance after hitting the ground and bouncing a few times down route 136 :S The Icon did a good job protecting my head but it had very large exterior dimensions and caught the wind badly if you turned your head.

The fit of the Scorpion is definitely on the small side for a medium but it is also a much more streamlined and better ventilated than the Icon. It's good quality and priced competitively, I'm sure there are worse helmets that cost more.

More
21 Nov 2007 12:16 #182040 by JoeK
Replied by JoeK on topic Helmets?
I prefer a full face helmet because it gives me a place to put my FasTrak...

1977 KZ1000 - coolest
1973 Honda CB-750 - oldest
2004 Yamaha FZ1 - fastest
www.jekgraphics.com/gallery/kzr Galleries of So Cal Events
www.VintageBikeOC.com Monthly Meet of Vintage Bikes in Orange County, CA
Attachments:

More
21 Nov 2007 14:50 #182059 by laidback
Replied by laidback on topic Helmets?
I personally love my Suomy.Fit is great and they have some of the best artwork on any helmet.

1978Kz650
1979Kz750

More
21 Nov 2007 14:50 #182060 by laidback
Replied by laidback on topic Helmets?
I personally love my Suomy.Fit is great and they have some of the best artwork on any helmet.

1978Kz650
1979Kz750

More
21 Nov 2007 15:13 #182068 by racer54
Replied by racer54 on topic Helmets?
I used to use Bell but last couple have been Shoie helmets. I like the way it fits. I have to get another one because the Snell rating is not good enough at the track and it will be a Shoie RF-1000. I'm not rich but I will spend the cash to get a good one if need be. Had a Simpson once and although I liked it, I thought it was noisy. Maybe the newer ones are better but the one I had had a lot of gap around the face shield and it sounded like driving with the window half down...couldn't here myself think. Just try them on before you buy and get the one that feels best. Should be a little tight when new but it will slowly form to your head and feel better after awhile. Put it on and move your head to see if it moves. A little is ok but not much. If you can twist it so the opening is in back...it's too big!

1980 LTD (changed over the years), 1979 LTD (being rebuilt), 1977 KZ turbo and various KZ's in various states of build. KLX110

More
21 Nov 2007 18:52 #182113 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Helmets?
Get a good one that fits right and wear it. You never know when you'll need it to save your life.
Mark

Post edited by: Mark Wing, at: 2007/11/21 21:53

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.
Attachments:

More
21 Nov 2007 19:19 #182116 by JR
Replied by JR on topic Helmets?
While on the subject of helmets................has anyone ever seen a HD rider wearing a full face helmet ?
I dont think I ever have. Is there some law which says it's uncool ?

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust