Questions for guys in SF Bay Area

More
03 Dec 2007 21:45 #183783 by apeman
Replied by apeman on topic Questions for guys in SF Bay Area
Next we toured SF more, going up to Coit Tower, at the top of Telegraph Hill, where I finally show up in the parking lot between our bikes. (Man do I look old!)

Petaluma and Truckee, CA -- member since Jan. 23, 2003;
PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2007 21:49 #183785 by apeman
Then we rode past Fisherman's Wharf, Marina Green, the SF Yacht Club, and through The Presidio to Fort Point, under the Golden Gate Bridge. No bikes in this picture, but you can get a sense of what kind of day it was from the background, and the smiles on Joey and Mark.

Post edited by: apeman, at: 2007/12/05 23:53

PREVIOUS KZs: 1980 KZ750H with 108,000 miles; 1980 KZ750E with 28,000 miles; and KZ750H street/cafe project, all sold a few years back.

This is what I do for fun, not for work. It is art, with a little engineering thrown in.
Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2007 22:03 #183787 by apeman
WE continued over the Golden Gate Bridge, and up to the Marin headlands for the beswt view in the world, looking band and down at the Golden Gate Bridge, with SF BAy and downtown SF in the background.

Yes, this is my daily rider. At this point in the ride the odometer was reading about 99,635 miles. I will hit that magic 100,000 mile mark around the holidays this year.

In case anyone wants to know,I got this bike for $125, stripped the bike and repainted the frame about 5 years ago, replaced all the wheel and swingarm bearings, cleaned the carbs, rebuilt the brake system, removed lots of corrosion, got lucky and found good body parts in a garage sale (with a nice shiney factory black w/gold stripe paint job), cleaned and fixed lots of electrical connections, and generally put it into safe useable condition for a total cost of about $400. Since then, I have put about 17,000 miles on it, without a breakdown of any consequence. It will easily accelerate to over 100 mph on demand, which happens about once per week on the way home from work. I think I got my money's worth. No, it is not for sale.

Attachments:

More
03 Dec 2007 22:13 #183788 by apeman
No more pictures, but we continued the ride, through Sausalito and into Tuburon, where we had lunch on the deck of Sam's Bar/Cafe. Then Joey and Mark followed me back to Berkeley accross the Richmond Bridge, through Tilden Park, along Grizzley Peak Blvd to The Wall, a big biker hangout spot, with views back accross the University and the City of Berkeley, SF Bay, and out the Golden Gate. Shortly thereafter I pointed Joey and Mark into a gas station, where their plan was to head back accross SF Bay on the SF/Oakland Bay Bridge, then back to Burlingame. Joey's email tells me they made it.

Mark bought lunch (thanks Mark), so for me it was a free day riding around the most beautiful place in the world playing tour guide to a couple of fun guys from St. Johns, New Brunswick.

If anybody else gets out this way, hit me up.
/
/

More
03 Dec 2007 22:18 #183791 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Questions for guys in SF Bay Area
Apeman -- Thoroughly enjoyed. And thank you for sharing! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
04 Dec 2007 14:48 #183797 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic Questions for guys in SF Bay Area
Thanks fro the picture update. I can only look at those pictures, and be happy for you three that the weather was so great. It would have been a great day to ride with you all. Apeman, we will ride in the near future.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

More
05 Dec 2007 20:58 #183924 by apeman
Corey,

Yes we must ride, and soon.

The weather was good, but it was far colder than any of us wanted. It was okay when we were cruising around the city, but when we hit the Richmond Bridge going 70 mph it was very chilly, far colder than the typical SF winter day. I am glad I had many layers. Joey and Mark were less well prepared. Also, when we split upat about4 PM, they were going to SF on the Bay Bridge, so I am sure they were feeling it.
/
/