Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
31 Oct 2007 05:59 #178918 by KZQ
Hi Talman,

Been watching your thread for some time but had held off from joining in mostly because I didn't have the time to sort out my thoughts, much less set them down in text. But tonight, I found a way around doing the heavy lifting! I realized that this thread would make the basis of a great article.

I don't know weather or not you're inclined to compile and edit it into a finished form. Are You?

There's at lot of KZR in there with more coming, I'm sure.

In the mean time, I'm going to move this thread to the Bike Related forum so that it doesn't get purged. Besides, it is bike related.

kzcsi

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Oct 2007 07:37 #178943 by Talman
Replied by Talman on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
KZCSI-

Thanks for keeping the thread alive. I saw it was moved but wasn't too concerend with why. The question was originally intended just for my own use...to see how other riders view their hobby and balance that with other parts of their lives. I hadn't intended on compiling it but it sounds like a good idea. I talk for a living (both as a corporate trainer and as a voicover artist) but I'm not an accomplished writer...I tend to write like I talk which means I subscribe to the philosophy that 10 words are better than one. It's also hard to insert dramatic pauses and vocal inflections when writing. That having been said, maybe I will take a crack at creating an article out of it. Anyone here consider themselves a good writer/editor who would be interested in collaborating with me?

-Jonathan

1976 KZ 400 (Free, free, free...needs major work)
2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

Aint no time to hate....barely time to wait

• KZQ
  • Administrator
  • Walking Behind the Corn May Not Be All That!
More
31 Oct 2007 16:38 #179023 by KZQ
Hi Jonathan,

Check you personal messages.

kzcsi

www.KZ1300.com
Riders:
1968 BSA 441 Shooting Star, 1970 BSA 650 Lightning, 1974 W3, 1976 KZ900, 1979 KZ750 Twin, 1979 KZ750 Twin Trike, 1981 KZ1300, 1982 KZ1100 Spectre, 2000 Valkyrie, 2009 Yamaha Roadliner S. 1983 GL 1100
Projects:
1985 ZN1300

More
31 Oct 2007 17:34 #179035 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
Yes, motorcycling is dangerous. We all know that. I was in a bad accident 12 years ago, and many more not so serious ones in my younger days. I ride alot different, like someone said, ride like your invisible, and to add to that, anyone making a left in front of you should be treated like they have a gun pointed at you. However, How many people get struck by lightning on the golf course? Or hit by a bus crossing the street? Or eat Mcdonalds till our arteries are like corn syrup? And does anyone actually know how many ppl are killed by falling coconuts?? Its a darn epidemic. And the truth by the way.. You get my point.. Learn how to countersteer, and tuck and roll! B) I didnt get back on a bike for 11 yrs, and like someone else said, its in my blood.
Attachments:

More
31 Oct 2007 17:36 #179037 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
Broke both bones in my right leg, one came out one side, one came out the other. A little gangreen, some skin grafts, and hell, a year later i was walking again!
Attachments:

More
01 Nov 2007 18:40 - 28 Aug 2009 23:44 #179212 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.
Last edit: 28 Aug 2009 23:44 by KZ250LTD.

More
02 Nov 2007 05:30 #179252 by Talman
Replied by Talman on topic The Next Question...
As recommended by KZCSI I plan on taking a shot at turining this thread into an article. I have another question that feeds right into the first one and should offer some good information to include in the article.

Lots of you found the balance of the risk vs. the ride to be a good one because you "loved to ride" (or something similar). What would be helpful to me is to get more detailed answers to the question "Why do you ride?"

I think I'd like to take the article in a direction that compares and contrasts the Risk vs. the Ride. (Maybe that'll be the title of the article, come to think of it).

Thanks,

Jonathan

1976 KZ 400 (Free, free, free...needs major work)
2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

Aint no time to hate....barely time to wait

More
02 Nov 2007 07:49 #179272 by violentvintagecycles
Replied by violentvintagecycles on topic The Next Question...
Why do we ride? Thats a good question and i cant wait to see some of the replies.
I dont think its ONE THING, i think its a combination of things. For starters, for me, its alone time. Included in that alone time is a change of mood. If your depressed,angry, you get on the bike and ride and it changes your mood.I liken it to music, depending on what you listen to, your mood changes. In the case of riding, the way you ride on that particular ride is what changes that mood.
Second, the feeling of open-ness. Not being enclosed in a car, having the field of vision that we do, feeling the wind and the air.
And third, the speed and the power. Nothing feels as good as a bike when it comes to that. Same as a roller coaster. In an open car, rushing along at speed, leaning into corners, feeling the g's.. Now, im not a type "A" personality, but i do know theres not much thats as much fun as it is to ride..

More
02 Nov 2007 08:23 #179275 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic The Next Question...
Very well put vvc! Mirrors my thoughts exactly! When I go riding I feel very relaxed and free. The field of vision, the smells of the land, the temperature changes, the power of the bike. All thoughts of stress, bills, etc go out of my head. The art of riding my bike (riding safe, etc) replaces all other thoughts. Plus, riding with other bikes adds another whole dimension to the ride!

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!
Attachments:

• H2RICK
  • User
  • Is this a fun bike, or what!!!
More
03 Nov 2007 19:08 #179490 by H2RICK
Replied by H2RICK on topic The Next Question...
Interesting thread we've got going here.
Why do I ride ??? Hmmm....well, as most of you may have realized it's not often I run out of words....;) :P
However, this question is almost akin to the one about "What do women want??". It's a toughie and I'm not sure there's a definitive answer cuz riding is certainly different things to different people.
As I'm in semi-retirement now, life is very low-stress compared to your average 30-something with kids, mortgage, social obligations, a boss to satisfy, etc etc......and to top it all off, I've never really given much thought to what other people think of me. WYSIWYG...that's me.
However, the biggest thing for me about riding is the fact that you really can't worry about other things AND ride, as well. Kinda like the old saw about "You can't fish and worry at the same time.", and you serious fishermen out there will back me up on this, I'm sure.
If you find yourself worrying about what you left behind at home/work, you fer shure are looking to have an accident. Concentration on the task at hand (read nice twisties) should be farrrrrr more important, absorbing and, if I may say so, rewarding, IMO.
My .02....until something else bubbles up in the old brain cells.....LOL

KZ650C2 Stock/mint. Goes by "Ace".
H2A Built from a genuine basket case. Yes,it's a hot rod.
GT550A Stock/mint. Pleasant stroker.
2006 Bandit 1200S for easy LD rapid transit
Various H2 projects in the wings.