Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)

More
23 Oct 2007 05:48 #177753 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
i have often thought the same way as you.
a lot of members here know i lost my father to a motorcycle accident in 1986.
i did not ride again for 11 years.
sooner or later you will get the bug again.
it's in our blood. we are hardwired to ride.
not all accidents are fatal.
just ask bluemeanie or mark wing.
they were fucked up pretty good but are alive to tell the story.
i often weigh the difference between riding and leaving my wife a widow and my kids without a father.
it was real hard for us as a family to go on with life after my dad went down but we did.
the only thing i can tell you is everyday make sure you tell your wife and kids you love them before you leave home because you never know if your comming home that night.
it does not have to be bike related either.
i had one of my best friends die of a massive heart attack at the age of 29.
time's up it's up.
i am not trying to tell you what to do in any way, shape or form.
i am just saying you will regret it.
take the bike and squirrel it away in the garage somewhere. then there will be no regrets. it is always there if you change your mind.

you are not having any thoughts we all have had at one point or another.

the thought of never comming home is always with me . it scares the hell out of me.
but like was said, if it is my time, i will go doing what i love. some people never get that chance .

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Oct 2007 06:09 #177756 by Talman
Replied by Talman on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
I appreciate everyone's input. I have always made sure to tell my family I loved them before I went out to ride and recently started making sure I do it whenever I go out, be it on my bike or in my car. Sonny Bono and Michael Kennedy were killed on skis but I've never worried about my wife's passion for skiing and she never voices concerns about me on my bike. Someone mentioned how this feeling of mortality helps contribute to safe riding and I couldn't agree more. I'm not tentative and indecisive when I ride but I always make sure I'm being as safe as I possibly can. That means a leather or armored mesh jacket and full face helmet when I ride (even though short sleeves and an open face might be more confortable). I don't think I'll actually gety rid of the bike. My payments are very manageable and there's space in the garage. I think it's the combination of a family increasing in size and the recent death of the husband of the colleague that has me thinking this way. Let's see how I feel when that first warm spring day hits.

In the meantime, I should probably start looking at that KZ400 I also have in the garage. If I wait to ride again until after that's done I, too, might experience an 11 year layoff!

Thanks for all of your opinions. Ride safe.

JHT

1976 KZ 400 (Free, free, free...needs major work)
2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

Aint no time to hate....barely time to wait

More
23 Oct 2007 06:57 #177770 by tjhiggin
Replied by tjhiggin on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
I stopped riding when I was married and my daughter was young. When she got older, & I got divorced, I started riding again. Even so, I only ride on weekends in the countryside. No commuting, no interstates; just easy fun rides on the back roads.

The dirt bikes are a good idea.

T.J. in Huntsville, Alabama
1983 KZ1100-A3, 1974 Honda CB550-4
Previous bikes: CB100, TS125, CB175, KZ400, CB500-4

More
23 Oct 2007 07:54 #177782 by Talman
Believe it or not, I would do the dirt bike thing in a heartbeat. Problem is that there are very, very few places in the NYC metro area where one may ride. I've got some friends who have sold quads and dirt bikes because there was nowhere to ride. If I could convince the wife to move somewhere more rural (I'm fond of Adirondack towns), then there'd be a garage full of dirt bikes.

2004 Intruder Volusia
ex- 1976 KZ 400 Hot rod (Owned by return2ridin before me and Wolfencopter after me. Does anyone have it now
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
23 Oct 2007 08:06 #177786 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
I don't have any kids so I can't relate in that way, but I do have a wife. I've thought about this and came to the realization that if something happens to me, she'll go on living just like she was before I came along.
I love to ride, and I also love to scuba dive. Scuba diving is somewhat safer, in that I'm not depending on the general public to keep me safe, whereas, on a bike I'm worried about everyone around me. Usually when I dive, I'm with other people who are also long time divers (survivors). We tend to watch out for one another, unlike on the road. But still, many people die every year in diving accidents. Out of air at depth, bends, nitrogen narcosis, drift out to sea, any number of reasons. But I'm not giving up diving or riding.
It's what I live for. Maybe I'm selfish, I dunno.

Now mixing riding with diving can get pretty hairy:

Me on an old Yamaha 750 at 20' in Mermet spring quarry. (Crappy pic, I know)

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/10/23 11:07

Post edited by: riverroad, at: 2007/10/23 11:13
Attachments:

More
23 Oct 2007 09:46 #177807 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
That's the best place for a 750 Yam!! :lol:

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
23 Oct 2007 10:02 #177811 by OKC_Kent
Replied by OKC_Kent on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
Talman wrote:

Believe it or not, I would do the dirt bike thing in a heartbeat. Problem is that there are very, very few places in the NYC metro area where one may ride. I've got some friends who have sold quads and dirt bikes because there was nowhere to ride. If I could convince the wife to move somewhere more rural (I'm fond of Adirondack towns), then there'd be a garage full of dirt bikes.

I noticed Bergen County after I replied above. The most populated area in the northeast. I can see why dirt bikes may not be practical. Are there any places within an hour or two you could trailer a couple dirt bikes? I found NJ Offroad Vehicle Park, but it's a members only type of club, or $50/person a day!!

Oklahoma City, OK
78 KZ650 B2 82,000+ miles

More
23 Oct 2007 11:38 #177821 by Skypilot54
Replied by Skypilot54 on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
I share your concerns about riding. It's been almost 30 years between bikes for me. The first was when I was single and in my 20s. With the second, I have a wife, one kid just starting college, and one just starting high school. My wife and two of my friends think I'm an idiot going through a midlife crisis. Other friends think it's great. Even the kids are okay with it. For me, the wrenching is therapeutic. I avoid buying "new" whenever I can. I always have to be getting my hands dirty. First it was an old VW Beetle. Then it was my KZ. Next? I have my eye on an old MG Midget.

A friend gave me this quote awhile ago, and I have it posted over my desk at work:

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body. But rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming “WOW - what a ride!” "

OK, so she was a chocaholic, as am I.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
23 Oct 2007 12:07 #177827 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
:laugh: Skyman, I've heard that quote before, but not with the chocolate reference! Funny!
And you next project will be an MG Midget?
You must REALLY love your wrenches! Great banging your head against the wall material.

• Scrapper
  • User
  • I Survived P.D. Fri .the 13th 2008 .
More
23 Oct 2007 12:29 #177831 by Scrapper
Replied by Scrapper on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
I too used to be concerned about what the family woukd do without me ,
But then a friend told me this "We all orry rather or not what our fate may be or not be , live your life to the fullest and worry not You take a bigger chance every day , Just getting out of bed .:ohmy:

Handle every situation like a dog,
If you can't eat it or hump it,
Piss on it and walk away!

More
23 Oct 2007 13:44 #177841 by Talman
riverroad wrote:

Now mixing riding with diving can get pretty hairy:

Me on an old Yamaha 750 at 20' in Mermet spring quarry. (Crappy pic, I know)

SDome crazy wrench on this board is going to wonder where that bike is, if the engine still kicks over, if someone has a title for it or what the number is for Broadway Title Service!! :cheer: :cheer:

2004 Intruder Volusia
?)
ex- 1978 KZ 200
Bergen County, NJ

More
23 Oct 2007 14:06 #177847 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Contemplating my mortality (and bike habit)
stick the bike in the corner if youre worried about it,then you can always pull it out later B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.