Riding in the rain?

More
22 Oct 2007 08:54 #177570 by TheDevilZX
Riding in the rain? was created by TheDevilZX
Alright, well.. I have an inoperable car at the moment, and my KZ is the only transportation I've got for the next few weeks.. And its raining :(

A few tips on how NOT to spill out on a wet road, and words of advice on how to avoid the bike from going haywire. Will the breathers clog if I ride it on wet roads? Electrical? Its not a downpour, but I dont want to risk breaking my bike.

Adam-

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Oct 2007 09:05 #177572 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Riding in the rain?
Tires good? Slow down a bit in the curves, and stay off the yellow painted lines and give yourself lots of room (I know, easier said than done).
And if you have filter pods instead of the stock airbox, you might have problems with it sucking rain in.
Try to find a can of ignition sealer and spray your coils. I say try, because I couldn't find any at Autozone or Orielly's. Finally founds some at a NAPA store.

More
22 Oct 2007 09:08 #177573 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Riding in the rain?
Yep, brand new tires with about 50 miles on them, and yea pods are going to be my main concern, atleast its not raining at the moment hopefully not in the next 45 minutes either. Just a bit of rain on the roads now. Ignition sealer, eh? Well, I'll have to look.

Thanks for the advice!

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Oct 2007 09:24 #177577 by riverroad
Have you actually ridden it in the rain yet? You might find that you ignition will work fine in the rain already. Mine OTOH, gave me fits for a while, until I finally removed them and discovered cracks in the coils that I couldn't see before. I sealed those up with JB weld, and the one time I rode in the rain, it didn't miss a lick. But that was before I put the pods on.
But if that happens, I was wondering about making some sort of faux airbox/rain deflector shields out of aluminum flashing material and pop rivets. Either that, or rejet it and put my airbox back in.

More
22 Oct 2007 09:32 #177579 by TheDevilZX
Replied by TheDevilZX on topic Riding in the rain?
Haha I just noticed your GI Joe spoof quotes.. Hilarious..

Anyways. No, I havent. Just ridden on freshly wet roads before, not too much of a hassle, just as previously stated, had to go slower than the norm.

They're new Accel coils, so I dont think there will be problems, I think the main problem if any would be the pods.

More
22 Oct 2007 10:04 #177590 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic Riding in the rain?
You could probably put some Duct tape over the part that is exposed to the rain, the rest of the filter should flow enough to ride.

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

More
22 Oct 2007 10:07 #177592 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Riding in the rain?
Also be sure and oil your chain every time you ride in the rain, even if only for a couple miles. The water washes all the lube off right away.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
22 Oct 2007 10:19 #177596 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Riding in the rain?
also stay away from the middle of the lanes at intersections where cars like to puke the oil out on the road because the rain will actually cause the oil to resurface.. you obviously dont want those on your tires.. also when you breaking or you have to break hard be biased to the rear wheel, its kinda backwards to norm i know but its because if you lock up the front end you're done for. when you follow cars follow where their tires were because car tires are designed to move water out from underneath them so the area their tires just left have less water. And just for me.. try a burn out :evil: j/k j/k thats all i remember from rain riding 101 my mentor pretty much frowns upon rain driving because its the deadliest time to be riding so i dont have much experience myself i just know the rules.

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

• jjdwoodman
  • User
  • Live free, or die.
More
22 Oct 2007 10:30 #177600 by jjdwoodman
Replied by jjdwoodman on topic Riding in the rain?
Hey, I just spilled last week, and part of the problem was wet roads due to the heavy fog..

If you need, I might could come get you and haul you around... Not working that much anyhow.

77 650b
81 550 Mostly there
83 ZN1300 Voyager

• Skyman
  • User
  • 1978 KZ1000-B2 LTD 1982 KZ1000-M2 CSR
More
22 Oct 2007 10:46 #177604 by Skyman
Replied by Skyman on topic Riding in the rain?
Okay, now that we've discussed riding in the rain, how about some tips on riding in snow/ice?

:S :P

West Linn, OR

More
22 Oct 2007 10:48 #177606 by Makarth
Replied by Makarth on topic Riding in the rain?
thats easy... you put skiis on and stand up while letting the bike pull you or you get like james bond with spike tires:evil:

1977 kz1000 - Megasquirt project @ 40% wiring, plenum, and exhaust<--(done!)

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
22 Oct 2007 11:21 #177612 by riverroad
We could talk about riding in snow and ice, but then that would just prompt me to bring up another one of my most embarrassing moments. :silly: