the "dream" is no more(UPDATED 10/10)

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Oct 2007 18:16 #174061 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic Thanks to KZRider, the
Talked to a friend last night who we always went to about KZ issues. Told him about the bike, gave him some of the numbers etc and this was the results....

First off, if you didnt notice from the pics, it has a 75 Z1 900 block and cylidner. 1015 kit with higher compressions pistons(Said this was a common thing to do back in the early-mid 80's...ok...he would know mroe than I would) and has a 79 LTD head on it taht has been ported. 8X Andrew cams(which is basically a 2.5X following Andrew's data sheets) .410 lift on intake and exhaust with 266 degrees of duration. He said it was the bigggest cams you could use without changing alot of the head around, ie. shim under bucket. You can see where the cam cover and the head has had some relief work done for the lobes to clear and the cam gears have had a spot ground in them to go on the cams over the lobes also.

Anyway, I got the head ready to go on the bike and should have it on by weekendish time. Will let everyone know how things go..

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
05 Oct 2007 19:12 #174828 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic the \"dream\" is no more(UPDATED 10/05)
Well, Brother Melvis came over today adn we got the new head on, cams in, and cam cover before he and I ahd to go for the night. I was able to return a short time later and finish putting on the carbs and Kerker header and tank and such. I rechecked the compression to make sure before I started the bika dn am HAPPY to report not only GOOD compression in all 4 holes, but an IMPROVEMENT over the 1200 psi/0 psi/0 psi/120 psi. I now have 130 across the board!!! So with all of that checked, I turned the key on, pulled in the clutch and hit the starter button. SHE FIRED RIGHT UP and runs like a dream!!!

First ride is tomorrow, and I will post some pics again, though there isnt much to improved over the last time..... Thanks Brother for the help, and Thanks Abbie for letting him help.

More
05 Oct 2007 21:07 #174842 by mmarshall
cool beans! let me know how she does on the road..i just started work on my Z1R...she's gonna need some work.i am going to have to get some carb parts from Sudco (not stock carbs on bike) but by this spring she should be up and running! ;)

• CoreyClough
  • User
  • GPz550 Addiction
More
05 Oct 2007 22:01 #174845 by CoreyClough
Replied by CoreyClough on topic the \"dream\" is no more(UPDATED 10/05)
That's one bike I'd like to have in my stable someday, next in line after a ZX750 turbo. I know the longer I wait, the higher the prices go up.

Nice going on a buy of your favorite model. Have fun and I hope it gives you many years of riding.

'85 GPz550(ZX550-A2)

GPz550 Base Manual --> tinyurl.com/ze5b3qo
GPz550 Supplement Manual --> tinyurl.com/h34d2o6
GPz550.com --> www.nwsca.com/scripts/gpz_forum_2005/default.asp
First Race Win GPz550 --> tinyurl.com/o5y3ftp

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2007 17:41 #175601 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic the \"dream\" is no more(UPDATED 10/05)
Well everyone, the Hillclimb here in SW Ohio is this sunday, and I am glad to say that I will be able to ride the Z1R around. It is still rough but she runs out well and I have fixed (to some degree) the "ugly" about her so far. I have painted the bike though it is not a great paint job. Still looks better than the several colors and all the nice bondo/putty that was seen in it. Will have the front fender done in another day also. Not sure if I will ahve the side covers by sunday or not and I wont have the seat rails by then either, but enough to put her on the road for now.
Attachments:

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
10 Oct 2007 17:45 #175602 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic the \"dream\" is no more(UPDATED 10/10)
Here is another pic. I got a few questions for everyone.

As is evident, I am not really worried about my Z1R being original, although if this one was closer I would ahve went that route. With that being said, How would this bike handle if it had a 16 rear wheel? The reason i ask is because I need tires and I jsut happen to have a 16 rear wheel with NEW rubber on it and it could be just as easy to change wheels as it is to change tires.

Also, I am looking to get some signals, but dont care for the larger originals and was wondering if anyone had a suggestion for a short, small signle that will fit in the factory spots.

Thanks all.
Attachments:

More
13 Oct 2007 07:37 #176002 by mmarshall
if i were you, i would leave the rear tire size alone...this bike is not exactly a cruiser ;) i have some small signals that i am taking off my Z1R...you are welcome to them if you want...i will post pics for your approval...if you want them..they are yours...just pay the shipping....

Mike

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2007 11:35 #176135 by dreamsofaz1r
Replied by dreamsofaz1r on topic the \"dream\" is no more(UPDATED 10/10)
SWEET!!!! lol