the "dream" is no more(UPDATED 10/10)

More
18 Sep 2007 19:59 #171449 by z1rick
Congrats! keep us informed as to the progress;) Hope you have many long years of riding her:)

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Sep 2007 21:32 #171465 by Invicta 39
I understand how you feel, I felt the same way when I got my KZ 900; I had been dreaming of owning one since 1975. I hope you enjoy every minute on it.

More
18 Sep 2007 21:57 #171469 by austin3119
Awesome! Congrats on the new bike. I look forward to seeing your progress pics.

More
19 Sep 2007 03:17 #171493 by themachine
good luck on finding a dash, you'll need it ;)

this wouldnt be the first time adjusting the valves has netted someone a good bike.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
19 Sep 2007 04:32 #171503 by The Gringo
Paul you might want to try contacting Johnny Bova at www.johnnysvintagemotorcycle.com/

He had a 78 Z1-R at Mid-Ohio that he was parting out, he might be able to help you out with some of the bits you need.

Post edited by: The Gringo, at: 2007/09/19 07:36

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

• abilane78
  • User
  • Brought to you today by the letters K and Z.
More
19 Sep 2007 07:59 #171540 by abilane78
Hey there brother in law!! I'm really excited for you. You sound worse than I was the night the LTD came home! But I know you've wanted a Z1R for a long time and that makes it really neat for you. I can't wait for us all to go riding again, it's been too long! I don't think the 4 of us have been all riding together since I had at least the 4 year old? I can't wait to see what you've got planned for it. Are you going to be painting it? Will you need a hand with some polishing? I'm going to have Saturdays off soon, so we could spend a few Saturdays helping you (aka hanging out, drinking your pop, and hopefully making biscuits and gravy) and on the days that I do work I can take the boys with me and you and Mellvis could get things done without us in the way.

Anyway, congrats on the score!! I'm really glad to hear it for you!!!

:kiss: :kiss: :kiss:
Abbie

You get three kisses since we have the same last name!!

KZ is Japanese for COOL!!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Sep 2007 18:03 #171637 by dreamsofaz1r
Some pics as promised. This is about the same condition that Tangerine Dream was in when we pulled her into the garage also, so keep that in mind.

Attachments:

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
19 Sep 2007 18:06 #171638 by dreamsofaz1r
Another pic
Attachments:

• abilane78
  • User
  • Brought to you today by the letters K and Z.
More
22 Sep 2007 12:25 #172193 by abilane78
I was really impressed!! The pictures don't do it justice! That header was nice and shiney, all the chrome looks fabulous!! I think you've made a great score! I can't wait to see it once you get underway!!

Abbie

KZ is Japanese for COOL!!!

Morrow, Ohio

Mom
Wife
Teacher

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Sep 2007 23:05 #172294 by dreamsofaz1r
Well, it turns out that the #2 and #3 exhaust valves were shimmed with shims .007-.008 to thick. I picked uo thinner shims and will be getting those in to recheck.

When I pulled the cams the first time I didnt watch for the valves to close more, but I retightened them and then reloosened them and turns out the two exhaust cams closed just a hair more(they moved a bit so I take it as closing some) so it looks like I still may be ok engine wise. I will know forsure probably tomorrow evening.

I will post more as things go along.

• dreamsofaz1r
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
29 Sep 2007 18:53 #173579 by dreamsofaz1r
Well everyone, With the help of my brothe Melvis, we pulled the head from the Z1R and indeed #3 exhaust valve is bent and the #2 exhaust valve is atleast really carboned up and may be burnt as well. There are a few dints/dings in the actual pistons but not really deep; kind of looking like fingernail indents if I had to describe them. I have a whole gasket set rather than just the top end and wanted everyones opinion on trusting the pistons. Do i need to post pics for everyone??

Anyway, I have a new top end ready to go on the bike so the motor will be together shortly.

More
30 Sep 2007 10:26 #173698 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Thanks to KZRider, the
pics are nice.

dreamsofaz1r wrote:

Well everyone, With the help of my brothe Melvis, we pulled the head from the Z1R and indeed #3 exhaust valve is bent and the #2 exhaust valve is atleast really carboned up and may be burnt as well. There are a few dints/dings in the actual pistons but not really deep; kind of looking like fingernail indents if I had to describe them. I have a whole gasket set rather than just the top end and wanted everyones opinion on trusting the pistons. Do i need to post pics for everyone??

Anyway, I have a new top end ready to go on the bike so the motor will be together shortly.

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!