Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 20 Jun 2007 16:15 #151231

• Virii
  • Virii's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • I like cheese
  • Thank you received: 1
Yeah, I do. A coworker commented a few minutes ago that he doesn't bother acknowledging the younger guys on new shiny Harleys suggesting that the chances are they won't wave back. The guys who have been riding all their lives, sure, but he'll consider before he acknowledges another rider.

Myself, if I see you ... I'll give you a gesture every time, regardless of what you're riding. Snub me if you like but I'll keep doing it. I always have, and it feels strange not to. If nothing else, take it as a sign that I'm not going to leave you hanging.

While we're on the subject...thanks for always pulling over for me when I was on the side of the freeway.....just to see if I was okay. I always was but I appreciate you stopping anyway.
Tess: 1977 KZ650-C1. VM24, 97.5/15/3rd. Dyna-S. Stock exhaust, coil mod performed, BR7EIX.

Angel: 1982 GPz550. Stock. DR8EIX.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 20 Jun 2007 16:37 #151236

• Patton
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 2098
Virii wrote:

...coworker commented a few minutes ago that he doesn't bother acknowledging the younger guys on new shiny Harleys suggesting that the chances are they won't wave back. The guys who have been riding all their lives, sure, but he'll consider before he acknowledges another rider.

Myself, if I see you ... I'll give you a gesture every time, regardless of what you're riding. Snub me if you like but I'll keep doing it. I always have, and it feels strange not to. If nothing else, take it as a sign that I'm not going to leave you hanging. While we're on the subject...thanks for always pulling over for me when I was on the side of the freeway.....just to see if I was okay. I always was but I appreciate you stopping anyway.

When friendly wave isn't returned , it's likely an oncoming newbie with hands frozen to the reins. So do the right thing -- just smile and wish 'em good fortune. :)

Have for years, always carried along my "Harley Helper," a 20 foot length of stout nylon rope. :cheer:
1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
The following user(s) said Thank You: GPz550D1

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 20 Jun 2007 16:41 #151237

• ltdrider
  • User
  • Thank you received: 17
Yep. I wave to ALL bikes, even scooters. I don't care if they don't wave back... maybe they're not comfortable taking their hand off the bar. But most wave back, even the Harleys. I think it's because they couldn't tell I was on a Japanese bike until it was too late. :laugh:
'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 20 Jun 2007 16:48 #151240

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
  • Thank you received: 35
All the riders around here wave...unless they are frozen to the bar by fear...most of them try to nod :-)

Hot scooter chicks in miniskirts, sans underwear, tend to ignore waves and one wonders, why?, until...realization hits home...a shot of young shaven beaver is the reward...

Perhaps some new nomencalture is in order...
scooter cooter?

Post edited by: Duck, at: 2007/06/20 19:50

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 06:43 #151429

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
  • Thank you received: 7
:laugh: :laugh: A couple weeks ago I was cruising up the road behind a crotch rocket with a chick on the back. Wonderful view! It got even better because at first she was holding her miniskirt down with one hand and hanging on to her boy friend with the other. He goosed it a little which made her let go of the back of her skirt to grab ahold of her boyfriend with both hands. This revealed quite a show. She was wearing a thong, but it wasn't much of one. Just kinda split the difference if you know what I mean.:whistle: Wish I had a helmet cam going.

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 06:58 #151436

• z1rick
  • User
  • Thank you received: 5
I used to wave all the time and no one would wave back, so I stopped for awhile. Sure enough, after I stopped waving, other bikers started waving at me, so now I just do the 2 finger salute, index and middle finger held together and pointed out at a 45 degree angle towards the ground. Seems to be the way to acknowledge other riders lately.

What ever happened to the thumbs up gesture?

Post edited by: z1rick, at: 2007/06/21 09:58
Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 07:13 #151444

• mariozappa
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
I wave at anything on two wheels with a motor.
But, I especially like waving to the little kids on the side of the street (cause they're always lookin at ya).
Seems that they get a big kick out of it! :lol:

Post edited by: mariozappa, at: 2007/06/21 10:13
1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 07:36 #151450

• Snakebyte
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Allways waved here.
I use the fingers:blink: :P at a 45 degree agnle:blink: towords the ground:huh: :evil: .
That read wierd:blush: .
Anyways I have had old and new not wave back at me. Makes me feel a little uncomfortable, but I still wave no matter what they ride.B)

Post edited by: Snakebyte, at: 2007/06/21 10:37
Attachments:

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 07:51 #151456

• BSKZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 14
its always two fingers down, that started many years ago, the thought behind it is , two wheels down rider on top, be safe,
a couple of guys I ride with get pissed if they done get a wave back, I dont care myself its my thought that counts
77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 10:30 #151490

• IowaKZ
  • User
  • '80 G1 Classic
  • Thank you received: 5
I always try to wave. When I can't because I'm shifting or something, I try to nod.

The other day I was at a stoplight on my bike when an absolutely beautiful BMW went by. The guy waved and it was only after he was by me that I realized he was waving to me. I felt bad because I didn't wave back:( .

He probably thought I was a dick, but I was just staring at his bike and I forgot my manners. Oh well.:laugh:
1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 18:39 #151618

• Wildh2oskier
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I'm a waver. It doesn't bother me if they don't wave back. Harley, crotch rocket it doesn't matter. I'm just easy when it comes to bikes. Also I am a 5th or 6th generation southerner. We are friendly to a fault by nature.

Post edited by: Wildh2oskier, at: 2007/06/21 21:41

I wave (and thanks for being there for me) 21 Jun 2007 22:02 #151677

• AR15Ron
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Virii wrote:

Yeah, I do. A coworker commented a few minutes ago that he doesn't bother acknowledging the younger guys on new shiny Harleys suggesting that the chances are they won't wave back. The guys who have been riding all their lives, sure, but he'll consider before he acknowledges another rider.

Myself, if I see you ... I'll give you a gesture every time, regardless of what you're riding. Snub me if you like but I'll keep doing it. I always have, and it feels strange not to. If nothing else, take it as a sign that I'm not going to leave you hanging.

While we're on the subject...thanks for always pulling over for me when I was on the side of the freeway.....just to see if I was okay. I always was but I appreciate you stopping anyway.

I do the same. I don't care what you're riding, even if it's a scooter. I have noticed lately that the Harley guys never wave back to me. I have no idea what it is, maybe they are all weekend yuppie warriers I dunno. Mostly the older guys will wave back, and all the rice rockets and squids always wave so I dont know what it is with the harley guys around here. Years ago EVERYONE would wave. I have to assume that these people are not really bikers. Bought a bike for the image but know nothing about riding? You would think they would catch on quick that every bike that goes by waves no?