Why did you get a KZ?

More
04 Jun 2007 07:31 #146145 by ltdrider
Replied by ltdrider on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I've always ridden streetbikes, or on/off road bikes. I'm not much for riding in dirt or sand.
Got my first bike in 1970. I was 15, and it was a Honda CL125 Scrambler. If I laid on the gas tank, it would go 62mph.
Joined the AirForce in '75, and bikes were a cheap way to get around for a poor airman. A buddy in our unit had a Z1, and boy, did I covet my neighbor's bike! Traded in my Honda XL350 for a KZ650 in '77, and from then on I was hooked.

'76 KZ900 LTD (Blaze)
'96 Voyager XII (Dark Star)
'79 KZ650 Cafe Project (Dirty Kurt)
Greensboro, NC

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jun 2007 07:40 #146148 by georgeha
Replied by georgeha on topic Why did you get a KZ?
Well, I told a friend at work that I always wanted a motorcycle, but just could not afford one. He happened to have an old Kz in his shed that he didn't have time to get ready. About $500 and a lot of work later I had a running, licensed and street legal Kz400.

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
04 Jun 2007 07:48 #146151 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Why did you get a KZ?
kawtoy wrote:

Great stories. Keep them coming. Hey Gringo, you should load up a few of the bikes that you don't really want and bring them to Mid Ohio. You can sell them in my booth. Then you can buy another bike there and get rid of the withdrawl you are having.

Thanks for the offer of space Shane. I'm trying to formulate a plan for Mid-Ohio this year. I guess I need to come up with a plan A and a plan B based on the weather. I'm planning on coming down Friday and Saturday this year. I'm thinking of maybe riding the Z-1 Classic down on Friday if the weather looks good but I don't want to sell that bike. I'm also thinking of getting rid of the 750 L-3 but I don't see myself riding that uncomfortable sucker for 2 hours. I've got a 650 B that I either need to fix or dump, a slew of 550's I need to do something with as well as a couple of 750 LTD's I have to decide what to do with. Hopefully between now and then the guy with the 1000 LTD will get off his butt and get me some pics so I can decide if that is going to be my next project which would cure my withdrawl.:P

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
04 Jun 2007 08:17 #146154 by godsjester71
Replied by godsjester71 on topic Why did you get a KZ?
Cuz it was $430 and it ran. After that I blame brain damage from hanging round here.

• wireman
  • Visitor
04 Jun 2007 09:08 #146169 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Why did you get a KZ?
i went from a 125 hodaka to a basket case z1 when i was 13 compliments of dear ol dad and my uncles leaning on him to make it happen:evil: :P its pretty hard to keep up with this family!:P
Attachments:

• riverroad
  • User
  • 1980 1000LTD B4
More
04 Jun 2007 09:23 #146174 by riverroad
Replied by riverroad on topic Why did you get a KZ?
Because of the several bikes that I've owned over the years, I always ended up looking up a KZ's tail pipe.
Now it's my turn to be in front dammit.

• Faughn
  • User
  • Don't drink the Kool-aid!
More
04 Jun 2007 09:38 #146176 by Faughn
Replied by Faughn on topic Why did you get a KZ?
My first KZ1000 was engine only... made a go-kart out of a old riding mower when I was a young aspiring wrench in Arkansas. My second KZ was a 400 that I picked up in Hawaii at the barracks, I think that I was the 20th or so registered owner. I promptly painted it fluorescent green, got it running, put new tires on it, got a ticket on base, and had to sell. Now I am looking to get a KZ1000P later this year.

Almost forgot about the KZ1000 that my brother had... until he taught my sister in law to ride. Not too long after the ambulance showed up, the wrecker showed up. If memory serves me, she panicked coming up to the drive way, grabbed a handful of first gear, hit the curb, some air and then hit the house. Broke wrist and collar bone. Bike mangled.

I agree with The Gringo... working on a bike (even if its not yours) and cold beer go very well together.

Post edited by: Faughn, at: 2007/06/04 13:00

More
04 Jun 2007 10:52 #146194 by N0NB
Replied by N0NB on topic Why did you get a KZ?
Reading Cycle World back in the early '80s got me hooked on the KZ models although I knew little of the pre-1980 models since they didn't cover them any more. I coveted a Z1 Classic, then a KZ550 or KZ750, then the GPz550, etc. Of course, none were ever in my financial future back then.

Fast forward to 2003 and the bike bug bit again. I still wasn't much of a Honda fan so the other three brands of UJM were in the running. The more I looked, the more the styling of the KZs appealed to me. Then I found this site and it cinched the deal. :laugh:

As luck would have it, I was offered a 650 SR, a model I knew absolutely nothing about until I did some research, and bought it. It is definitely a "one of a kind" around town, which suits me just fine. Now I'm working on the next one, a 650B. It should be fun to learn the riding differences between them.

Why a KZ? Why not?

Nate

Nates vintage bike axiom: Riding is the reward for time spent wrenching.
Murphys corollary: Wrenching is the result of time spent riding.

1979 KZ650 (Complete!)
1979 KZ650 SR (Sold!)
1979 KL250 (For sale)
1994 Bayou 400 (four wheel peel :D )

More
04 Jun 2007 13:06 #146226 by Nevco48
Replied by Nevco48 on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I saw a picture of an old KZ on the bulletin board at a convenience store; non running KZ750 LTD with the most god-awful sissy bar you could imagine. Paid $300, started wrenching on it, found KZR, and it runs like a top. Been through a few others since then, it is an addiction. In the winter, I can roll a bike into my cellar, fire up the radio, woodstove and a stogie, and I am in my own world.
I still have the sissy bar.:S

• Gosling1
  • User
  • Whats behind you is not important
More
04 Jun 2007 13:13 #146228 by Gosling1
Replied by Gosling1 on topic Why did you get a KZ?
Keep in mind that I am only 25 so this will sound like a story from someone older, not a young buck. I started on a 76 Bultaco Alpina 250 and rode that for about three years. After about two years a started to get the craving for a street bike. I really didn't want a big bike for my first one, but the 83 kz 1100 i got was the only one in my price range that fit. There was a big learning curve at first to go from the bul to a big kaw.( i guess a just like farm animals to go from a bul to a kaw. I have had it 4 years now and wouldn't change it for anything in the world.

1983 KZ1100A Shaftee box stock.
A herd of Bultacos to play in the dirt with. Arvada, Colorado
Kick it in the guts Berry

More
04 Jun 2007 13:24 #146230 by baldy110
Replied by baldy110 on topic Why did you get a KZ?
When I was a sophmore in high school, 1978 the KZ650 was the "hot" ticket. I had been saving up money for a bike and bought one, 78 KZ650C. Still own it.

More
04 Jun 2007 13:42 #146234 by Wirewulf
Replied by Wirewulf on topic Why did you get a KZ?
A mechanic buddy was spinnin' a yarn about some yocal who had a 1000 and tried to do a wheelie with it. Said he thrashed it all afternoon, but it wouldn't come off the ground. It did, however, shred...literally... the brand new Metzler on the rear.
Me, about 16 at the time thought..."cool,"...wipe drool, "I gotsa to get one!"