Why did you get a KZ?

More
03 Jun 2007 20:41 #146065 by kawtoy
Why did you get a KZ? was created by kawtoy
I am sure we all have different reasons and stories about how and why we got our first KZ. I will start with mine. I had never ridden a motorcycle before, not even a dirt bike. I remember riding on my the back of my dad's KZ1000 and I loved it. He always talked about how fast it was and how many times it scared him. He parked it in 85 and never thought about it again. About 7 years ago I got a bug up my ass about getting a bike. Then I remebered the poor KZ sitting in storage up in NY. My uncle had loaned my dad $500 about 10 years ago and of course never saw the money again. The bike was in his storage so for $500 I could have it. Since it had some family history and a cult following I figured I could not go wrong. It had sat for 15 years but I got it to run pretty easily. As I said I had never ridden a motorcycle before so it was a steep learning curve. The seat height on a stock 80 KZ1000 is very high and the bike is heavy so it was a bit scary at first. I rode around the neighborhood for a few weeks, learning how to shift, steer and so on. I got up the nerve to go on the road and after about a week I was comfortable enough to start riding every day. I was still in the Army then and in order to ride on the base you have to take the Advanced rider safety course. So 3 weeks after teaching myself how to ride I was taking the advanced rider course on a 20 year old muscle bike... in the rain no less. It rained all freaking day. Needless to say I was hooked and have been a big Kaw fan every sence then. I have a Triumph and a Honda as well but the Kaw is special to me because it popped my cherry.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Jun 2007 20:56 #146069 by Fossil
Replied by Fossil on topic Why did you get a KZ?
After years of Brit bike projects, I just felt I wanted a change. I considered a Buell, really wanted a Ducati Monster, but went for an air cooled Kawasaki because I remember the Z1 making a hell of an impression went it came out. I saw a GPz750 advertised and went with the intention of buying it, got there and the shop was closed over a holiday weekend. On the way back through the city we stopped at another shop, walked in there was my GPz1100 sitting there. Why the GPz? To me it represents the pinnacle of Kawasaki's aircooled line of thermal-mechanical violence. Small block Chevy type of performance, not jewel like Ferrari performance. Character. From the time I bought it, changes were under way.

More
03 Jun 2007 21:30 #146071 by AR15Ron
Replied by AR15Ron on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I think I got my KZ the summer after I graduated from High School. It was about my third or fourth bike. I knew nothing about them at all at the time. I was at a friends house and he had a few bikes, I asked if he was selling any not really expecting to be able to afford one and he said he would sell me that one for $400! So I bought it and put new tires and stuff on it. I was about 18, 130 pounds and people would always ask me how I could ride that bike but I loved it. After I got hit by a Durango and many many close calls later (I live in a crappy city where people constantly try to kill you) I traded it for a truck. Now about 7 years later I bought it back for $500 and plan to never let it go again. It's been a lot of work to make it as nice as it is, the kid I sold to it to pretty much ruined it but I think she has forgiven me now. Still have a long way to go! I'm not sure what it is about that KZ. I've ridden plenty of different bikes but every time I get on that KZ it just feels right :)

More
03 Jun 2007 21:55 #146076 by donthekawguy
Replied by donthekawguy on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I was in bootcamp in Orlando when my dad sent me a letter saying he found me a bike. Up until that point I had only ridden bikes that my dad had loaned me. Over a few paydays I sent him the $500 for the bike. When I got home we went to pick it up from a local bike salvage yard. It was a hidious gold and the front end was bent back from t-boning a car. Needless to say I was not impressed. I had never seen a KZ before and didn't really like the looks. (I was young then) We got it home and put a new set of forks on it and glued the gauge bracket back together. This was in 1984 before the internet and ebay. lol I rode it down the street for a few blocks and figured the front end wouldn't fall off so I cranked the throttle. I came back to his house with a smile from ear to ear. After changing my shorts, we were off for an afternoon of riding. I was hooked.

Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

More
03 Jun 2007 22:51 #146083 by badboie
Replied by badboie on topic Why did you get a KZ?
my dad has a bike. he was getting tired of just riding by himself because he dosn't want to go out and actually meet other riders so he got me a bike. I had to pay him back of course, it was only 700 bucks. Anywho, I took it out a few times befor summer was over with and I started to break it down for a rebuild and customizing. So I guess my dad was the reason I got a KZ and I haven't had one complaint about it since.. its a great reason to spend my money lol;) :cheer:

More
04 Jun 2007 05:35 #146117 by z1rick
Replied by z1rick on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I read an review in CW about the '74 Z1 900, I think it was in '75, I was 16 years old. At the time I road a Honda SL 350. The review said the Z1 had set a new 24 hour world endurance record, etc. So I fell in love, and when I got out of the Army in late '78, I bought one for $1000.00 from a Kaw. dealer. Had her every since...

Anaheim CA
1999 KZ 100P
1974 Z1 900 Project
1977 (2) KZ 650 projects

More
04 Jun 2007 05:38 #146120 by steell
Replied by steell on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I don't really have a reason, Kawasaki's just seem to gravitate towards me, maybe it's Karma or something. I have owned at least one of most other brands made since 1960, but the vast majority have been Kawasaki's. I finally gave in and don't bother getting anything but Kawasaki's anymore :D

KD9JUR

• The Gringo
  • User
  • ¡Usted no necesita otra motocicleta!
More
04 Jun 2007 06:05 #146124 by The Gringo
Replied by The Gringo on topic Why did you get a KZ?
My first job in 1971 was working at the local Kawasaki dealer at the tender age of 12 at that time I bought my first Kawasaki a MT-1 mini bike. After high school I went back to work at the same dealer working in the parts dept wound up buying my first KZ900. I moved up to service manager which was a neat position to have since I got to write all the wreck estimates and I wound up buying several totals and putting them back together. Since I also had control of all the warranty replacement parts rebuilding wrecks was pretty lucrative, what I didn't have laying around I bought at 10% over cost. Later I moved into sales and was the sales mgr. eventually I wound up running the dealership. I got out of the bike business in 84 and went to the car side.

In 99 I retrieved an old CSR 305 that I had bought for an ex girlfriend tore it apart and left it laying in pieces for about 6 years. Last spring out of boredom I decided to put it back together and see if I could get it to run. Then I discovered Ebay:pinch: it seems that all the bikes I remember so well can now be had for a song if you are patient enough and willing to do some work to them. I now have a herd of Kaws that is much too large but I think I'm having withdrawl symptoms (I haven't bought a new bike in 5 months now :sick: :sick: :sick: ) I do have a line on a 1000 LTD though. I still like to ride but I get just as much enjoyment out of fooling around with these old relics and it gives me something to do while I'm drinking beer.:P B) :laugh:

Andy
Akron, Ohio
80 Z-1 Classic-Sold
84 GPZ1100
79 KZ 1000 LTD
78 KZ 1000 A2
77 KZ 1000 LTD-Sold
76 KZ 900 The definition of a barn find
76 KZ 900-Sold gone to Denmark
KZ 750 times 3, KZ 650 times 8 Sold 1 down to 7
KZ 550 times 2 80 440LTD-Sold
81 CSR 305-Sold 81 Yamaha XS650 Special

More
04 Jun 2007 06:17 #146127 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Why did you get a KZ?
Great stories. Keep them coming. Hey Gringo, you should load up a few of the bikes that you don't really want and bring them to Mid Ohio. You can sell them in my booth. Then you can buy another bike there and get rid of the withdrawl you are having.

Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

• slickware
  • User
  • My bike is as old as I am
More
04 Jun 2007 06:22 #146129 by slickware
Replied by slickware on topic Why did you get a KZ?
I got a kawasaki because this is how I look for bikes on Craig's List/Want Ads:
Price range: $400-$1000...CC's: >1000...Condition: Rideable

Then I wait until the best deal ever comes around and scoop it up ASAP!

~A

1982 KZ1100 Spectre
Old. Shiny.

More
04 Jun 2007 06:29 #146131 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Why did you get a KZ?

I still like to ride but I get just as much enjoyment out of fooling around with these old relics and it gives me something to do while I'm drinking beer.

Can I get an Amen!

:side:

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
04 Jun 2007 07:28 #146142 by kawtoy
Replied by kawtoy on topic Why did you get a KZ?
And all the people in the church said AMEN!