Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan

More
21 May 2007 13:22 #142062 by digme
Replied by digme on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan

dont forget to stop in my beutifle town of duluth at the tip of lake superior if anyone ever plans on going around the entire great lakes.

Its funny you mention that. I have a work conference in Duluth in the beginning of July. I'm thinking about taking a couple extra days off of work and cutting over to the Mississippi on my motorcycle. Take the nice scenic route north.

Second, it will be difficult but not impossible to camp unless you have room for clothing, bedroll (sleeping bag) small tent, poles, etc. This not to mention peripherals like your toilet kit, tools, a few spare parts (as needed) etc. You should give serious thought at staying at some mom-and-pop motels.

Point taken. Staying at a hotel and not having to bring a tent/ sleeping bag/ etc. would really lighten the load. There is something to be said for staying under the stars and having a campfire with your buddies. I'll think on this one more.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TomW
  • User
  • Keep the blue side up.
More
04 Apr 2012 13:55 - 04 Apr 2012 13:56 #514021 by TomW
Replied by TomW on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan

digme wrote: Hey you Midwest folks. Anyone ever done a ride around Lake Michigan? I'm trying to convince a couple friends to do it with me. Wonder if anyone has any advice on roads to take or places to camp.

Never drove around it,but I've lived within a few miles of it most of my life. I'd suggest going up into Door County, WI when you get to Green Bay. Peninsula State Park there is gorgeous and has a nice campground. There are lots of state parks most with camping in WI. Give me a holler when your going, I'd like to ride part of it with you. I'm in West Bend, WI now about 20 miles from the lake on St.Hwy. 33. Where are you located?

'78 KZ1000B2 LTD stock + Vetter Fairing & luggage
'91 ZG1200B5 Voyager XII, stock
Last edit: 04 Apr 2012 13:56 by TomW.

• mwriders
  • User
  • if I only had a brain
More
04 Apr 2012 14:10 #514026 by mwriders
Replied by mwriders on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
I've been around Lake Michigan and Lake Superior. Superior is by far the best trip (no Chicago to deal with). The bridge crossing into the MI U.P. is fun and it's worth making a stop in Sioux St. Marie to see the locks. And, as long as you're there it is a short trip up to Wawa Canada to see the world's largest tin goose. It hangs over the bluffs on the east end of Superior with its wings moving in the west wind as if it were flying. I think its a William Calder sculpture, if that kind of thing interests you.

I once took a rail/car ferry from MI to WI and that was a hoot. Bikes go on first and come off first. I think that a few posts back somebody said it is no longer in operation.

Did three or four of these trips in total, all on an unfaired Yamaha XJ650 with soft bags and a tent/bedroll bungeed on the pillion.

At the very north end of Lake Michigan on the U.P. shore there is a campground that seems to get very little use. Costs a couple of bucks on the honor system. It's about a two-mile dirt road trip from the highway to the campsite, which is right on the north shore. I've stayed there several times and had it pretty much to myself. It's poorly marked from the road, so find it on a map if you want to use it.

I'm kind of jealous here. Have a great trip and be sure to eat a pastie for me while you're in the U.P.

1980 Kawasaki KZ440B (brand new eBaby)
1998 Ducati 900S (gone)
1978 BMW R100S (gone, damn it)
1975 Yamaha RD350 cafe (gone)
1986 Yamaha XJ650 Seca (gone)
1981 Kawasaki KZ440LTD (gone)
1969 HD Sportster (gone :)
1966 Honda CB160 (gone, damn it)
1965 Suzuki 80