Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan

More
17 May 2007 12:34 #141024 by digme
Hey you Midwest folks. Anyone ever done a ride around Lake Michigan? I'm trying to convince a couple friends to do it with me. Wonder if anyone has any advice on roads to take or places to camp.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 May 2007 12:51 #141028 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
I haven't done it (I just go up and down the west shore of Lake Michigan), but a friend of mine did it a few years ago and said it was excellent. His photos were amazing.

More
17 May 2007 12:55 #141031 by mariozappa
Replied by mariozappa on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
I never have, but from the stories I've been told from those who have done it say that Gary, IN sucks and it is best to get that out of the way as soon as possible.

1977 KZ650C1
and the KZ650/KZ750 Conversion ;)

More
17 May 2007 13:00 #141032 by digme
Replied by digme on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
I've heard that about Gary, IN too. I think I would probably take the Lake Express Ferry and skip Chicago and all the traffic.

More
18 May 2007 06:47 #141210 by POPTOP
Replied by POPTOP on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
Did that "around the lake Poker Run" a couple of times quite a few years back. Great ride. I just generally stuck as close to the lake as the roads would let me. It is about 1400 miles total. Broke up into three days, works out just right for a long weekend ride.
Stop at "Leggs Inn" if it is still there on the upper east side, and get a "pastie" somewhere on the Upper Pensula. Lots of places to camp along the way, but it has been too long ago to remember the locations.
Enjoy!

More
18 May 2007 07:11 #141216 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
I did a similar trip back in '82. Started from Detroit, down around Gary/Chicago, up through Wisconsin. Stayed in Merril (sp?) northern WI. the first day. I still remember my friend, who was riding a full dress BMW laughing at me on my windshield-less Harley. His windscreen was COVERED with bugs, guess what my face looked like!
Next day left Merril, up through Superior WI and Grand Marias MN. Attempted to cross over into Ontario at Grand Marias but was held up by some eager beaver Canadian customs officials, who tore our bikes apart looking for drugs, contraband, etc. We were clean but were held up FOUR FREEKIN' HOURS at the crossing. Finally we were allowed to proceed late in the afternoon. That night we stayed in a campground in Thunder Bay ONT.
The next few days we took our time and rode the northern side of Lake Superior. Very pretty scenery and relatively good roads. I think it was RTE 1 or 17.
Stayed one day in WAWA ONT (almost hit a moose on a road there) WAWA was a real partying town. Lot's of young folk there for mining or forestry summer work.
We gradually made our way east and south in Ontario, forests slowly giving way to farmlands. Crossed over the river into Quebec near Arnprior ONT.
I have 2 specific memories of Quebec, the first thing we noticed is that many highway signs in 'English' Canada were written in both English and French, but in Quebec the signs were only in French. This caused us a few minor navigational problems but we were able to muddle through. Stayed in Quebec City for a day. It's a really beautiful old city. One evening we went to a restaurant in Quebec and the menu was entirely in French. The waitress could not (or would not) speak English so we tried to decipher the menu with our limited high school French. We spied the Souper du Jour (Ahhh...lemme see poulet, yeah chicken. Umm...pain, bread...OK. Ahhh, pois, pomme-de-terre...yes yes, peas and potatoes...OK) We envisioned a nice fried chicken, potato and vegetable meal. Sounds good, right?
Know what we got? Chicken Pot Pies! We laughed sooo hard. yeah, what do you expect for 2 bucks Canadian?
Next day we rode further east through Montreal and crossed over the St Laurence River. I stopped at a Harley Davidson dealership to buy a few quarts ("No sir, we only sell LITRES") of oil to replenish all the oil I leaked or burned over the last few days. As we started to get short of funds, we decided to cross over into Maine instead of going as far as Newfoundland. (Our original destination was Nova Scotia but we never made it that far...we spent more money than we anticipated).
After entering Maine we rode for a day south and west. Stayed in Stratton ME that day. Maine is one of the prettiest states I've ever seen!
The remainder of our trip was through New Hampshire, Vermont, Northern NY, PA, Ohio and then Michigan. The remainder of the trip was uneventful but the scenery was pretty and most roads were in good condition. Wish we had more time and money to enjoy it.
I can't remember the routes off-hand but it's a simple trip to plan. I call it my "Circumnavigation of the Great Lakes" trip and, unlike Magellan, we returned home alive.
This thread brings back many memories and situations that I don't have time to write about, but the trip was worthwhile and I would do it again if I had time and money.
I recommend that you plan your route but maintain some flexibility because you may find a place that you want to spend extra time. Plan your expenses, then double it.
Good Luck! Ride safe!

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
18 May 2007 09:39 #141280 by IowaKZ
Replied by IowaKZ on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
Dave, great write up. Sounds like a fun trip.;)

1980 G1 Classic
Bettendorf, Iowa

More
18 May 2007 10:37 #141303 by digme
Replied by digme on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
Thanks for the replies. This would be my first "tour" on my motorcycle. I'm tempted to invest in a windshield before taking off. I'm not planning on doing any interstate driving, but even at 50-60mph I bet the wind can get tiring. These old KZs don't have much in the way of cargo room either, so I'll need to pack light.

More
18 May 2007 12:41 #141334 by davenkids2001
Replied by davenkids2001 on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
Maybe I should have answered your questions more specifically.
First, yes, there is limited cargo capacity on any motorcycle. I would invest in a set of cheap throw-over saddle bags, a sissybar/rack or preferrably both. When do you plan the trip? If June, bring PLENTY of bug spray. July or August are better if you're camping.
Second, it will be difficult but not impossible to camp unless you have room for clothing, bedroll (sleeping bag) small tent, poles, etc. This not to mention peripherals like your toilet kit, tools, a few spare parts (as needed) etc. You should give serious thought at staying at some mom-and-pop motels. I have found that they are not expensive (30-50 bucks a night) are usually clean and friendly and often the conversations you have with the owners are memorable and valuable info can be had.
Third, depending on your time and money budget, the best routes to follow are the roads alongside the coast of Lake Michigan. Route 35 is nice if you cross over at Marinette WI (and you may even see Escanaba in da moonlight, if your timing is right :) )
Don't miss the Garden Penninsula, it's very pretty and quaint.
Follow Rte 2 east all the way east to the Mackinaw Bridge and cross south, or go northwest via 141 to the Keweenaw Penninsula and Copper Harbor area. Very lovely area.
After you cross south into the mitten, it depands on your time and funds. The east coast along Lake Huron (Rte 23+25) is the prettiest for the scenery, but the route alongside Lake Michigan (Rte 31 mostly) is less travel time and miles for you but much more costly for food and rooms. The areas of Traverse City (see the Mission Penninsula and cherry orchards) Sleeping Bear Dunes, Ludington to Muskegon are all lovely drives.
You may want to consider NOT returning around the southern lake (Chicago) where the traffic can ruin you whole day. Consider returning back the same way (through the upper penninsula) or even taking the car ferry from Ludington or Muskegon back to Wisconsin.
I'm sure there's more to add, but my boss wants me off this computer :whistle:
I'd really like to hear about your trip after your done.

Dave and Janet
Great Lake State
1979 650SR

More
19 May 2007 18:50 #141599 by themachine
Replied by themachine on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
dont forget to stop in my beutifle town of duluth at the tip of lake superior if anyone ever plans on going around the entire great lakes.

Post edited by: themachine, at: 2007/05/19 21:50

82 kawaski csr1000 Evolved into a streetfighter.

I love Speed! Hot Nasty Badass Speed!!!
Attachments:

More
19 May 2007 20:31 #141625 by Robjb84
Replied by Robjb84 on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
Would love to take my 440 around the lake, that would be something else! Go for it man!

• mountain
  • User
  • go with the flow
More
19 May 2007 21:06 #141631 by mountain
Replied by mountain on topic Anyone done a ride around Lake Michigan
I did Lake Michigan by Milwaukee to Ludington when they were running that ferry line back in '81. I was 16, Ludington up around and back down to Chicago (where I started). I did it during the middle two weeks in June after my junior year in high school. I can't believe my 'rents let me go. Bring a fishing pole, take your time. This route remains the most memorable and beautiful journey of my young life. In fact, you got me thinking . . . Hmmmm

1977 KZ 650 B1, I own two of them. Working on one custom rebuild, one daily rider. Used to have a third. Two 1978 KZ 650 C2 models, sold both. KZ owner since 1987.