Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

KZ650 Touring Build 30 May 2024 07:37 #900011

• Injected
  • Injected's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 485
Today I am doing some fab work to get the new oil cooler mounted.

I can reuse the rock guard screen by cutting a couple of inches off the one end. I can also reuse the mount brackets but I need to extend them outboard by about 5/8" with a 6061 intermediate plate. I need to make two sets of stand offs from 5/8" OD 6061 to space out the cooler and screen.

I can reuse the 90 degree -6 AN fittings but I need to swap the straight swivel ends for 90 degree swivels at the cooler. I believe the hose on there now is long enough to work even after cutting off those straight swivel ends.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JR

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

KZ650 Touring Build 30 May 2024 07:51 #900012

• Wookie58
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 2062

The fuel leak was a pinched gasket O ring, had a spare so put it in and got it sealed. The engine is running good, swapped from 112.5 to 110 main jets when I dropped all the float bowls.

I got a chance to do that hot oil pressure test, the changes I did improved the oil pressure number by +6 PSI, but its still on the low end at 23 PSI @ 4K RPM. The range I saw in the 750 manual was 28-36 PSI. The only other thing it could be is worn crank bearings so might have to think about splitting the cases one day.

Could it be a weak or poorly sealing oil pressure relief valve rather than mechanical wear that is giving the slightly low readings ?

KZ650 Touring Build 30 May 2024 11:43 #900017

• Injected
  • User

The fuel leak was a pinched gasket O ring, had a spare so put it in and got it sealed. The engine is running good, swapped from 112.5 to 110 main jets when I dropped all the float bowls.

I got a chance to do that hot oil pressure test, the changes I did improved the oil pressure number by +6 PSI, but its still on the low end at 23 PSI @ 4K RPM. The range I saw in the 750 manual was 28-36 PSI. The only other thing it could be is worn crank bearings so might have to think about splitting the cases one day.

Could it be a weak or poorly sealing oil pressure relief valve rather than mechanical wear that is giving the slightly low readings ?

When I replaced the oil pump I also replaced the pressure relief valve (tested) and I also modified it to increase oil pressure. The oil pan was also replaced with a different one from a 650 that was cleaned out (main oil feed line) which has also been modified to take AN fittings for the oil cooler.

Pretty sure I covered everything except for what I noted about the crank bearings. Since the original oil pump was worn just to the service limit I suspect this was a higher mileage engine. I hind sight I should have checked the oil pump when I had the cases split!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

KZ650 Touring Build 31 May 2024 13:41 #900057

• Injected
  • User
The little oil cooler I got came with M12X1.25 straight thread fitting (brass hose barbs) My -6AN 90 degree adapters have a 1/8NPT male thread. According to the math I could tap the inside of the brass fitting to make those barbs into a adapter.

There was hardly anything to hold onto this little brass barb, and the pipe tap ended up being non concentric. Not really a massive deal, but when I went to install the fitting assembly into the cooler the brass adapter broke off in the oil cooler!

I think if I would have been able to keep the drill/tap those brass parts straight that would not have happened. According to the math there was .04" wall stock, but when I measured the OD of the brass thread it had grown about .01" so the thread was tight in the oil cooler (reason it broke)

Pretty sure I can get that broken piece out as its sitting proud.

I ended up buying some adapters and it cost me $20, they should be here by Monday. The new adapters are stepped.

I am pushing forward and continuing to modify the brackets to assemble the oil cooler on the bike.

The following user(s) said Thank You: JR, Wookie58

KZ650 Touring Build 08 Jun 2024 14:29 #900469

• Injected
  • User
The new oil cooler has been mounted and I was able to reuse all the original mount brackets and rock screen. I had to fabricate some spacers and a make a intermediate plate.

I was able to cut the line ends and add some 90 swivel ends so all the fittings clear the frame and engine. It is rubber mounted so it can move around a bit.

It sticks out farther but its still a reasonable compromise. I should be able to fire the engine tomorrow and send some oil thru it, its going to rain so no test ride till Monday.

Attachments:

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: sp

KZ650 Touring Build 09 Jun 2024 12:03 #900514

• Injected
  • User
I started the engine this morning and there were no leaks from the oil cooler or fittings. I had a chance to adjust the carb sync and it is now running the best it has ever run.

In the event that the oil cooler has issues I made up this bypass fitting with two -6AN's so the engine can be run without the cooler hooked up.

I will store it in a fairing pocket (also have my rain suit in there)

I am going for a ride tomorrow morning to put the bike thru its paces and when I get back I will check the pilot fuel screw settings with the ColorTune kit.

Attachments:

KZ650 Touring Build 10 Jun 2024 19:01 #900585

• Injected
  • User
I got a half decent ride in today and when I got back I adjusted the pilot fuel screws out another 1/2 turn using a ColorTune plug. I dropped to a #110 main jet from a 112 because the plugs looked a little too dark. Now the plugs look a bit more tan even after riding thru my neighborhood on the way home.

Its pulling real strong, shifted around 8K in second gear with no flat spots at all.

I should be able to get a couple of more rides in before Thursday, Friday morning early I ride to the swap meet.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb, Wookie58

KZ650 Touring Build 10 Jun 2024 20:26 #900588

• SWest
  • Sustaining Member
  • 10 22 2014
  • Thank you received: 2689
Looks good. 
Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

KZ650 Touring Build 11 Jun 2024 06:37 #900598

• JR
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 442
Bike looks great. I'm sure it will draw a lot more compliments over the weekend
1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust
The following user(s) said Thank You: Injected

KZ650 Touring Build 11 Jun 2024 07:31 #900602

• Injected
  • User
I rode this to the swap meet for the first time two years ago, but did not go last year. I purposely built this bike to be able to ride to this meet comfortably. My other setup with the soft bags was always a compromise.

Once you use a mid size fairing with a bit of storage space you kind of get spoiled by it. Its little things like having a 12V power takeoff in the fairing pocket so I can charge my phone. Its less tiring riding this than my non fared versions.

Safer putting a bottle of Bourbon in the hard bag :)

Link to the swap meet/show -

www.cvmg.ca/ParisRally

Last edit: by Injected. Reason: info

KZ650 Touring Build 11 Jun 2024 10:03 #900606

• Injected
  • User
Here are some pics of past swap meets :

Attachments:

Last edit: by Injected.

KZ650 Touring Build 16 Jun 2024 19:04 #900839

• Injected
  • User
I got home today just after lunch.

The weekend was a blast, I got there about 7:00 on Friday morning. The weather was great all weekend, zero rain and sunny.

I bought a few items at good prices (650 B1 factory service manual for $7, 650 tool tray for $4, beam torque wrench for $8, two giant fists full of random size HSS twist drill bits for $7) was able to haggle on everything.

There was a live band on the Friday night and a very loud professional fireworks display about 11 PM. On Saturday we went to the dinner and they BBQ'd 2 large pigs, had a second plate and I was very full. We also had a very nice full breakfast on the Sunday morning before breaking up camp and riding home. 

At the dinner they gave out the bike show awards and mentioned that this was the most attended show ever, with over 700 pre registrations for the weekend camping. Lots of huge RV's pulling huge bike trailers. Not too many guys rode in for the weekend.

Last edit: by Injected.