KZ 440 Basketcase - AKA The "Pig"

More
21 Jul 2024 20:44 #902438 by BruceinOH
Replied by BruceinOH on topic KZ 440 Basketcase - AKA The "Pig"
Since this project has taken a lot longer than anticipated I ended up buying a TW200 to bomb around town in the interim. I ended up getting a GREAT deal on the TW, so I feel like it offset the KZ.  

I did find a tank on EBay, so I think I have most of what I need. I hope to get it running and then do more upgrades over the winter once I know it will run reliably. No sense throwing good money after bad, or at least not too much more than I already have!
  • Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    29 Jul 2024 05:38 #902646 by BruceinOH
    The Pig is mostly put back together, and she started right up. Now the fun part of trying to get new components that hopefully enhance the look and function of the bike. Turn signals ordered but I am still trying to sort out the headlight. 

The right float bowl is leaking again after trying the solder trick on the cracked brass tube. I will most likely try the thin tube insert method after I take out the carbs (again…) and give them another look. 

Glad I was able to get it started but I do not feel much closer to the finish line. 

• Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
    01 Sep 2024 13:03 #903842 by BruceinOH
    The Pig Lives!

After six months of owning the Pig, I finally went on my maiden voyage.  She still looks the part but seems to ride pretty well.  Start up has not been a problem, but yesterday it kept choking off when turning the throttle. I think I might have some remainder junk in the tank as it is intermittent.  I do not have plates for it so I have only been taking a few leisurely laps up and down the street.  

I hope to get a more thorough test in next week after getting my plates and having my neighbor follow along as an extra set of eyes and ears.  Assuming that goes well I can start thinking about next steps.  The fenders are not in great shape so I most likely will repaint them, and the tank needs stripped and painted as well. There is only one small ding at the very front. The wiring needs to be tucked up under the tank, and maybe get a replacement ignition switch. I like the mini toggle, but not very secure.  Also, the old switch gear is pretty beat up and very chunky. I might try something aftermarket that is not too pricey.  I also have a few cosmetics pieces found on EBay to repair the PO hacking up the gauge mounts. (no idea what he was thinking…)

I also need to paint the side panels, any suggestions on what works well?

Thanks for hanging in there with me. Fingers are still crossed for a successful outcome!

Happy Labor Day!

Bruce

• The following user(s) said Thank You: Wookie58

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.