Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 06 Oct 2022 19:08 #875192

• Scirocco
  • Premium Member
  • Never change a running system
  • Thank you received: 1899
Take a look into the JT Sprocket catalogue. He lists front sprockets with different offsets.

www.jtsprockets.com/catalogue/?searchtyp...Z1000#search-results

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last edit: by Scirocco.

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 06 Oct 2022 21:50 #875193

• Cra-z1
  • User
  • Thank you received: 85
You probably need this spacer. At least I use this on my Z1900's when converting to the 530 chain and the front sprocket does not have an offset.

www.z1enterprises.com/spacer-washer-25mm-x-36mm-x-15mm.html
The following user(s) said Thank You: sf4t7

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 07 Oct 2022 03:23 #875198

• TheTrout
  • TheTrout's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 55
I was wondering if that was the spacer I needed.  What about the back sprocket?  Is a spacer needed there too?

1978 KZ1000B2

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 07 Oct 2022 07:44 #875210

• TheTrout
  • User
I emailed Z1 and they told me to buy the spacer:

Washer - Sprocket Conversion - Steel - 25mm x 36mm x 1.5mm

SKU: MM25X36X1.5

From another thread on here I also found a lock washer with the metal tab to fit the new front sprocket:

Metric Tab Lock Washer, Steel, For M20 Screw Size, 21 Mm Id, 42 Mm Od
97471A110

I guess I will see what's up after I get the parts.

1978 KZ1000B2
The following user(s) said Thank You: Mikaw

Last edit: by TheTrout.

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 04 Nov 2022 03:46 #876361

• TheTrout
  • User
I finally got around to replacing the sprockets and chain.  The spacer I listed in my last post fixed the issue.  I have to say I hate rivet chains!  I did not realize that is what I ordered, although I confess, I had never heard of them before.  I did not have a chain tool for that and had to borrow one from a local cycle shop.  I ended up cracking one of the pins so now I have a new xring master link with a clip on order and should be here next week.

Also new development, one of my coils are back to cutting out.  I guess I need to pull the tank off to inspect the shrink tubing I put on the mounting spacers of the dyna green coils.  If that is intact maybe I do actually have a bad dyna coil.  Not sure how I can test for that given it does not do it all of the time.
1978 KZ1000B2

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 14 May 2023 19:35 #884684

• Wheelhop
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 292
Mr Trout,
bring the bike to MIchigan (June 1st, 2nd) and we (or should I say Mikaw)  will get your Dyna ignition sorted!
If you still have receipt, maybe put a call into Dyna and get them to ship you another one ASAP.
I have a new one in the box I can bring if needed.
Signed,
Wheelhop aka "Zukey Lake Recruiting Coordinator"

1978 KZ 1000B (73 tribute)
1977 KZ1000 project
1976 KZ 900
1976 KV 75
1976 Honda Elsinore MT250
1974 Z1 900 project
1971 Honda CT70
The following user(s) said Thank You: Street Fighter LTD

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 13 Jun 2023 05:39 #885934

• TheTrout
  • User
Some updates to my bike:

Any of you guys that met me 2 years ago at the Michigan gathering (at Dave's house) know about my clutch cable issues (and how strong my left hand is).  Imagine my surprise when I went to order a new clutch cable and read that you are supposed to lube them BEFORE use!  Holy shit, you'd think I would know that already!  I have a new cable on its way along with PJ cable lube and cable luber device.  Here's hoping for some relief for my old and aging left hand.

On another note, I finally swapped the coils from left to right to try and figure out if the issue with 2 cylinders failing to fire is coil related or something to do with the wiring.  Took a 20 minute ride and everything is firing as it should.  So either I just fixed a poor connection (nothing felt loose during the coil swap) or maybe I have a coil that cuts out intermittently or when it gets hot or something like that.

I also need to replace the master link on my new chain.  I bought a chain that came with a riveted master link.  I crushed the master link putting it on.  I am replacing it with the old style master link with clip.  I hope that is not a mistake.

Lastly, I am dreaming of a better ride.  I've got new tires, shocks and the forks were rebuilt with progressive springs just a few years ago.  I am thinking about springing for a Corbin seat.  Whos got 'em?  Do you like them?  What options on those seats should I look into?

It's all progress, hopefully in the right direction.
1978 KZ1000B2

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 13 Jun 2023 10:37 #885948

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1971
Can't wait to feel your new clutch lever pull. The old cable was like pulling a gravel train truck up hill.
I was glad I put a Corbin seat on my LTD.  Takes some ass breakin time , but once done all was good
Hope you return to Zukey Lake for a  special guest appearance
Dave

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 13 Jun 2023 11:00 #885950

• TheTrout
  • User

Can't wait to feel your new clutch lever pull. The old cable was like pulling a gravel train truck up hill.
I was glad I put a Corbin seat on my LTD.  Takes some ass breakin time , but once done all was good
Dave

I have put on a clutch cable since then, but never lubed it and now it too is getting hard to pull.  I was hoping to hear from you about your corbin seat.  How does it ride after break in?  My ass gets numb after a while with the stock seat.  Will the corbin be a noticeable difference?  I am hoping for something that will help me do longer rides.  What options did you choose for your seat?
1978 KZ1000B2

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 13 Jun 2023 13:27 #885956

• Street Fighter LTD
  • TURBO, Its Better to be Blown than Injected
  • Thank you received: 1971

Dave

I have put on a clutch cable since then, but never lubed it and now it too is getting hard to pull.  I was hoping to hear from you about your corbin seat.  How does it ride after break in?  My ass gets numb after a while with the stock seat.  Will the corbin be a noticeable difference?  I am hoping for something that will help me do longer rides.  What options did you choose for your seat?
Corbin seats  are firm  ,but  better than a stock seat  in overall performance  ( ass doesn't hurt as soon ,or as much )
I had the gel pads installed to add comfort. Also leather on seating area .I had it made to accept the Corbin  backseat backrest ( Free option  ) but never purchased the removable backrest.
Also had custom stiching done  in flame pattern  .
 Corbin marketed the KZ1000 seat as the Gunfighter and Gunfighter (one rider ) and Lady ( with passenger ) options.
Bad thing was it took Corbin months of calling and  bugging them to get my seat . I hear they are better now, but I don't know this for sure ........  
Hope this helps
Dave 

Original owner 78 1000 LTD
Mr Turbo Race Kit, MTC 1075 Turbo pistons by PitStop Performance , Falicon Ultra Lite Super Crank, APE everything. Les Holt @ PDM's Billet Goodies . Frame by Chuck Kurzawa @ Logghe Chassis . Deep sump 5qt oil pan. RIP Bill Hahn

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 13 Jun 2023 15:11 #885961

• MLMG
  • User
  • See you in the wind.
  • Thank you received: 35
I installed an easy clutch kit and I'm very happy, the original mechanism was crap.
1977 Kawasaki KZ1000 A1
The following user(s) said Thank You: Nessism

TheTrout's 78 KZ1000 13 Jun 2023 18:09 #885973

• Wheelhop
  • Sustaining Member
  • Thank you received: 292
Mr. Trout,
send me an email, I have a aftermarket "stepped" LTD style seat that came on my 76 KZ900.
I will send it to you for free just pay shipping cost.
Jim "wheelhop"
jghanke396(at)yahoo.com
1978 KZ 1000B (73 tribute)
1977 KZ1000 project
1976 KZ 900
1976 KV 75
1976 Honda Elsinore MT250
1974 Z1 900 project
1971 Honda CT70
The following user(s) said Thank You: howardhb